? Older Uber Drivers Earn Less Than Younger Ones ⚠️

Cold Fusion

EXPLAINING A PAY GAP OF NEARLY 10%
Diamond, the Stanford economist, co-authored a recent study that broke down earnings for Uber drivers by age. The researchers found that 60-year-old drivers earn nearly 10% less per hour than 30-year-old drivers, on average.

To be clear, that's not because Uber pays younger and older drivers differently.
"Obviously, the Uber formula for pay is the same for all workers," Diamond said.

A large part of that gap can be explained by where older drivers...........

BigRedDriver

I can only speak for myself, but I only drove weekdays from 7 to 5. No surge ever. Evening and bar rush paid far better.

LADryver

Diamond, the Stanford economist, co-authored a recent study that broke down earnings for Uber drivers by age. The researchers found that 60-year-old drivers earn nearly 10% less per hour than 30-year-old drivers, on average.

To be clear, that's not because Uber pays younger and older drivers differently.
"Obviously, the Uber formula for pay is the same for all workers," Diamond said.

This is not about age but choice. I am not young but I do not operate in or live or work in rural areas. I drive till I can't. I feel that there is like any cultural difference a disparity of potentials but it isn't about age. It is about our times. It is not fair to generalize. When I ordered a McDonald's in the middle of a city night, it was a senior man who delivered it. He could have been taking someone home from a bar, but that time had passed. Yet he was still working.

Mkang14

Older drivers are probably more likely to drive speed limit, while younger drivers are in a rush, go,go,go. 🤷‍♀️

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Older drivers are probably more likely to drive speed limit, while younger drivers are in a rush, go,go,go. 🤷‍♀️
I was coming home from work yesterday and driving on the freeway. It was around 5:45 pm and traffic was heavy, but still moving at 45 to 60 mph. I was in the left lane, and doing about 60, as we all drove into the tunnel. I make a habit of watching traffic as far down the road I can see. All of a sudden in my lane up ahead, I saw cars swerving erratically into other lanes to avoid something in my lane.

I did not wait to see what and after checking to make sure it was clear, I dipped into the HOV lane. I then saw what was going on. All of is were doing 60, but a little white Prius was puttering along doing about 35 mph.

As I passed the car, I saw the Lyft trade dress in the window, and a middle aged female driver behind the wheel, fully engaged in conversation with her pax, oblivious to all the raised middle finger salutes that whisked by her windows.

TheDevilisaParttimer

I was coming home from work yesterday and driving on the freeway. It was around 5:45 pm and traffic was heavy, but still moving at 45 to 60 mph. I was in the left lane, and doing about 60, as we all drove into the tunnel. I make a habit of watching traffic as far down the road I can see. All of a sudden in my lane up ahead, I saw cars swerving erratically into other lanes to avoid something in my lane.

I did not wait to see what and after checking to make sure it was clear, I dipped into the HOV lane. I then saw what was going on. All of is were doing 60, but a little white Prius was puttering along doing about 35 mph.

As I passed the car, I saw the Lyft trade dress in the window, and a middle aged female driver behind the wheel, fully engaged in conversation with her pax, oblivious to all the raised middle finger salutes that whisked by her windows.
Seen an old school Cadillac in the hood driving erratically. Speeding then slow, couldnt maintain lane etc.

I'm not gonna lie I thought the typical stereotype, black young male high on weed drinking a 40.

Turns out to be a white itty bitty old lady who probably has had the Cadillac since the '70's.

Dekero

The Hell you say....I'm getting paid. And I'm old as shyt...
Post automatically merged:

Probably as fast as that turd could get.... Cut her a break...

Stevie The magic Unicorn

I earn more driving a cab than some of the old drivers do.

One guy calls me crazy for working the hood all the time.

I keep telling him I’d he spends all night in the hood his earnings would go up.

“right up til I drop dead of a heart attack from the stress”

im in my 30s. Very young for a cabbie.

Mista T

Author
I am guessing it is because younger drivers are more gullible and take almost every ping. So while they "earn" more, their expenses are also higher.