• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ola offering free wi fi to passengers at driver’s expense?

Lowestformofwit

View attachment 254546 A driver colleague recently took an Ola as a passenger and found during the trip that he was offered free wi fi.

Another driver colleague has advised that he recently found that an Ola passenger was in the process of gaining access to his data.

I’m not sure what’s going on here. Any suggestions or other information?
How was the prompt offering wi-fi access made, Jack?
Driver invitation, or through the Ola app?
Either way - bloody shameful to put this on the driver, without or without recompense.

Board

Ola only makes out it's an awsome company and fair on drivers.
Only got to read whats going on in there own country and thats in English

Beepbeep41

I had a rider inform me then I cought an Ola and seen the option! Joke it was!! Offering my data as a hotspot without my consent!!!!!!

QLDUberDriver

Everyone who continues to give their time for these companies are at their disposal to do as they like. Best thing to do is learn some new skills that makes this job only fit for those with the least skills out there.

Uber and all the other companies using gig economy style workers are capitalizing on lost cost work force. Once the technology catches up its bye bye to drivers.

Jack Malarkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A driver colleague has now heard back from Ola about providing free wi fi to passengers at the driver’s expense. At this stage, there is no way to turn off free wi fi. It does use the driver’s phones data, and there is no way around it at this stage except not to drive for Ola.

This is not good. We can't know that the passengers aren't using our IP address for nefarious purposes.

Another driver killed it for a time by renaming the hot-spot. He also removed permissions from the secondary Ola app ShareDriver. He is still testing that solution.

This second driver has advised that it changed the name of his hot-spot to an Ola name, and that has accomplished the sharing.

All of this is very concerning given that none of can recall ever agreeing to any of this. Ola has also never told drivers that it’s doing this to them.

Last edited:

Olapse

I had a rider update his windows laptop today. It was ok as it was a long trip and I even waited for the final restart before closing out the trip for him. About 3.1gb used I never realised how fast 4G is these days! It's ok as I have a week for recharge and about 7gb left. 5 stars.

Jack Malarkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A driver colleague has now heard back from Ola about providing free wi fi to passengers at the driver’s expense. At this stage, there is no way to turn off free wi fi. It does use the driver’s phones data, and there is no way around it at this stage except not to drive for Ola.

This is not good. We can't know that the passengers aren't using our IP address for nefarious purposes.

Another driver killed it for a time by renaming the hot-spot. He also removed permissions from the secondary Ola app ShareDriver. He is still testing that solution.

This second driver has advised that it changed the name of his hot-spot to an Ola name, and that has accomplished the sharing.

All of this is very concerning given that none of can recall ever agreeing to any of this. Ola has also never told drivers that it’s doing this to them.
A third driver colleague has just advised that every time Ola updates the driver app a renamed hot-spot reverts to the Ola name.

Slazenger

I had a rider update his windows laptop today. It was ok as it was a long trip and I even waited for the final restart before closing out the trip for him. About 3.1gb used I never realised how fast 4G is these days! It's ok as I have a week for recharge and about 7gb left. 5 stars.
Are you serious?? Are you getting paid for sharing your wifi also? Real cheap ass pax. Can understand normal surfing but a windows update on an underpaid ola driver's expense??