Ok, here I am.

JonC

So today was my first day driving for Uber.

I'm not in this as a career, or even as a primary way to make money. If this pays enough for my car payment and insurance I'm going to be happy enough. This is not my day job, nor does it pay anywhere close to as much as my day job per hour. While I was on my second trip (literally my second trip ever) I got a call from a friend, which I quickly sent to voicemail. I finished the trip. But...

I declined a ride. I'm not sure if I did a bad thing or not, but I had only intended to take a few trips, and as soon as my second one completed, before I had a chance to hit go offline, another one came in. It was 22 minutes away, I was tired, and I knew I needed to check my voicemail.

As soon as I rated the passenger (5, they were really nice people) the app immediately wanted me to take another one. I didn't take it, and as soon as it cleared, I went offline.

Did I goof?

Dang

Yea that is really bad u gonna get ban for life from uber platform if u continue to do that

JonC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea that is really bad u gonna get ban for life from uber platform if u continue to do that
If that's the case, I don't expect I'll be doing this for long.

But seriously, does someone who actually has a grasp of the English language have anything to say?

JonC

Anyway, I'm in Knoxville, TN. My intent is to do this in my spare time, because the tech consulting business has downtime. I actually had a guy who is a client of one of my biggest employers as my first ride. He hasn't used onsite support, but I may have talked him into it. Is it unethical to promote tech services as an Uber driver?

IERide

As far as not accepting the ping, you're fine. Worst Uber will do is send you a scary warning and put you in "timeout" (can't log in) for 5-10 minutes if you do it too often.. It's a good sign though if you got another ping as soon as dropping someone off - I've sat pingless for hours.
I also don't see a problem with discussing anything with anyone in YOUR car, as long as it's consentual.
PS - I also do this in my spare time as my business of website building/website repair/online marketing also has slow-times.

JonC

As far as not accepting the ping, you're fine. Worst Uber will do is send you a scary warning and put you in "timeout" (can't log in) for 5-10 minutes if you do it too often.. It's a good sign though if you got another ping as soon as dropping someone off - I've sat pingless for hours.
I also don't see a problem with discussing anything with anyone in YOUR car, as long as it's consentual.
PS - I also do this in my spare time as my business of website building/website repair/online marketing also has slow-times.
Is sitting pingless for hours common?

I first went online yesterday, on my drive home. I went offline after getting no pings by the time I got home and waited for a couple minutes.

Today I went online, got a ping before I got home, met a guy who does business with one of my employers, talked them up (and promoted my onsite service as an option) on the ride, and then took a nice couple (who were drinking (technically illegally, but I give zero shits about open container ordinances)) to their friends' house.

When I rated them 5 (and they were really nice) I immediately got the ping for a request 22 minutes away. I had already intended to go offline as soon as I finished delivering the nice couple. I didn't take it.

If my penalty is being put in timeout for a bit, I suppose I'm ok with that. If it means I'm done driving for Uber after my first two rides... Well, I suppose that's life, it's something I was intending to do in my spare time anyway and I'm not going to be all that upset by it.

IERide

Actually going pingless for hours has not been common for me, but it depends on where you are, time of day, the weather, etc.

toyotarola

Check the rider app to make sure it shows you as online and available at your GPS location (blue dot). I have to go offline and then back on again at least once every day to get shown on the rider app.

JonC

So I haven't had time to do much Uber, the day job has kept me busy. Tonight I went online again, got the first ping within 30 seconds - not really sure how long it was, it was almost immediate.

I drove for about an hour and then went offline. I didn't deliberately ignore ANY pings tonight, I hit accept on everything I saw.

I discovered when I got home that I had a 30% acceptance rate.

Do things work differently in a surge? There was one tonight, I ended up making almost what I do with the day job.