Oil Change Question

Cane

Guys. I’ve been doing Uber full-time for about 4 months. Go through oil changes once every month a half to 2 months. My car’s oil goes 5,000 miles supposedly. My question is do you guys really change it when it reaches 5,000 miles? Or do you do it before? Lastly, would it be okay to let it go 5,500 for example?

I have a 2016 Honda Accord with 38,545 miles. I know it’s crazy. Uber is tearing up this car. Well I’m doing it not Uber.

Rsabcd

Guys. I’ve been doing Uber full-time for about 4 months. Go through oil changes once every month a half to 2 months. My car’s oil goes 5,000 miles supposedly. My question is do you guys really change it when it reaches 5,000 miles? Or do you do it before? Lastly, would it be okay to let it go 5,500 for example?

I have a 2016 Honda Accord with 38,545 miles. I know it’s crazy. Uber is tearing up this car. Well I’m doing it not Uber.

Probably best to follow the manufacturer recommendation.

I use mobile synthetic or royal purple syn.

I push mine to 8-9k.

Cane

Ah okay. Thanks guys. I have about 200 miles more until my next change and I just wanted to see if I could push it for Monday. Sunday at least. Didn’t want to go today.

Jerseyguy72

Change it yourself and use the full synthetic 15,000 mile oil. I think it's mobil that makes it. You can get it on sale usually for about 30 bucks with a filter. I use it and change it at about 10k miles. Just make sure you use a filter that is compatible with that oil.

atthehop

Oil needs to be changed????

When I did my own it was 3k no exceptions, now that I pay I go to 4k. Using the dealer to get factory filters and good grade oil and its only a few dollars more than the crap you get at a quickie lube. IMO

anteetr

I use either Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec and change it every 6000-8000 miles. I do it myself in my driveway so it's done when my schedule and the weather permits somewhere in that range.

Both my cars use the same filter size, but the Ford one is $5 cheaper than the Mopar one so I use that on both my cars. It's rated for 7500 miles with the lower quality synthetic blend oil Ford recommends for their engines. A change costs me $27 total and takes me 20 minutes tops.

Always buy your oil and filters at Walmart. They're half the price of anywhere else in meatspace.

Quatro40

I have same model I go with the time stamp not the mileage. We use synthetic if you check it when your maintenance light comes on at 10% oil is still nice and clear.

Entitled_ Bro

Go by what the car manual says as it was tested thousands of times to make sure it was accurate. The amount of times a year that you will change your oil will go by how miles you drive a year. Most full sythethic oils will last double or triple what conventional oils last.

freeFromUber

5000 is a little long if it's conventional oil, which it probably is..,you should be changing it in the 3000-4000 mile range...synthetic oil is a different story.

jvegas

The dealership I bought my car from offers free oil changes for life, so I never pay for an oil change and get them as often as I please.
I try to go every 5000

Uber-licious

Does Meineke try to sell you other services when they do the oil change?
The one I go to absolutely does not try to up-sell. Meineke's are independently franchised so I'm sure some are good and some are bad. The one I go to is in Eatontown. Fantastic place !

LAuberX

What does the Honda owners manual say for oil change intervals?

Our 2011 Accord had a service light that came on when the oil change was due. It came on around every 6500 miles as I remember, it used full synthetic 0W-20 oil.

PrestonT

I've had my car 6 months and will soon be due for my 6th oil change. Oil changes are something I don't want to skimp on.

sneakypeter2

DO NOT listen to what Meineke, Jiffy-lube, car dealers and most people on this forum tell you regarding your oil change or maintenance interval should be. Yes they know how to do an oil change (doesn't take a rocket scientist).... but also remember they want you to come in often so they make more money. But most importantly, someone working at a service center is in no way in a position to make any recommendations. I once had the guy behind the counter at subaru service tell me that Subaru recommends 5000 miles oil change intervals. I pulled out my cars manual and showed him what Subaru actually recommends and he tried to argue with me that mechanics know better since they work on cars all the time.... I clearly took my business elsewhere.
Only the company who designed and manufactured your car has the engineering background to make service interval recommendations. Believe it or not, it is in the best interest of any reputable company that your vehicle lasts a long time.

Based on extensive research , most auto manufacturers recommend service intervals based on driving habits/conditions. There are usually 2 categories for service intervals: Normal or Severe. Normal is for a typical driver who commutes to and from work daily with periodic trips to the store, etc.
If your vehicle is regularly exposed to one or more of the following conditions, then you should follow the Severe category for service intervals:
  • Most trips are less than 10 miles (16 km). This is particularly important when outside temperatures are below freezing.
  • Most trips include extensive idling (such as frequent driving in stop-and-go traffic).
  • The vehicle is frequently driven in dusty areas, like on dirt or gravel roads.
  • The vehicle is frequently used for towing a trailer or using a carrier on top, both of which place extra demands on the engine.
  • The vehicle is used for delivery service, police, taxi, or other commercial applications

I think that most of us who drive full-time or even part-time easily fall into the Severe category. I typically drive 10 hr shifts and the car is running for nearly the entire time.... idling causes excessive wear on an engine. That being said, I follow the manufacturer's recommended service interval for Severe driving conditions and always use the correct oil weight (per Volvo). I use Mobil1 synthetic High Mileage (i have 200K miles) and always replace the oil filter each oil change and check all fluids every other time I refuel. If you are a few hundred miles past the interval, its not the end of the world.

FYI to those who rely on your vehicles service reminder: your oil change reminder does not take Severe driving conditions into account when reminding you to change the oil.

Good luck

JohnnyJets

I change mine every 15k...use mobile 1 synthetic with the mobile 1 performance filter...both can go up to 20k between oil changes.