re-match is permitted.

To discourage the inevitable "cheater" drivers who would loiter
at the terminals without having a pax to drop off, or, even after
just dropping off pax, but then spending too much time there,
trying to cop a re-match, Uber and Lyft would have to prevent that
through their
TNP.lot.jpg.JPG
programming . . . .
(or loitering at terminals would certainly start happening again).

u_no_me

I appreciate someone else giving this thought, as it has been a major peeve of mine, not just for the loss of efficiency, driver revenue and reduced customer service, but also the exacerbation of the TNP lot congestion problem.

But I think there is a much simpler solution. I have suggested many times a rematch countdown timer that would prevent loitering at the terminal, after which rematch eligibility ENDS and the driver is sent to the lot (or wherever they want to go). Perhaps 3 minutes?

Last edited:

ChrisFZ

Congestion at the pit is only a function of drivers ability to GET OUT OF the pit.

You fail to address the problem.

Hint: a software solution is not the solution. It is a hardware problem.

u_no_me

Congestion at the pit is only a function of drivers ability to GET OUT OF the pit.

You fail to address the problem.

Hint: a software solution is not the solution. It is a hardware problem.

Wrong. Partially a function of the size of the pit, design of ingress and egress, but ALSO the number of vehicles that must traffic through it. Rematch reduces that traffic flow.

OP-Matt

It’s a new idea at least. The problem could easily be solved, (mix of software and staging changes) but Uber doesn’t care, the city doesn’t care/wants money, drivers have no say, pax are slowly learning that taxis are sometimes cheaper and usually faster.

At the world’s busiest airport where $millions are at risk, you’d think smart people would fix the problem. There are obviously no smart people.

UberBeemer

There is a software solution, i think. Once you end the trip at dropoff, it logs you out. You are prevented from logging back until you either enter the lot, or leave the grounds.

But, i prefer they'd just rematch us all. And if cancel or let it lapse, log you off until you leave.

u_no_me

It’s a new idea at least. The problem could easily be solved, (mix of software and staging changes) but Uber doesn’t care, the city doesn’t care/wants money, drivers have no say, pax are slowly learning that taxis are sometimes cheaper and usually faster.

At the world’s busiest airport where $millions are at risk, you’d think smart people would fix the problem. There are obviously no smart people.
I applaud new ideas, but it seems unnecessarily complex to me.

quesie

My proposal to help relieve congestion at the pit,
during busy times (Flow chart attached):

Monitoring ORD cameras would watch TNP lot to detect busy times,
and ORD security personnel could maintain a computer file
to allow or prohibit re-match, based on conditions. Uber/Lyft
ping allocation programs would test the ORD file, to determine when
re-match is permitted.

To discourage the inevitable "cheater" drivers who would loiter
at the terminals without having a pax to drop off, or, even after
just dropping off pax, but then spending too much time there,
trying to cop a re-match, Uber and Lyft would have to prevent that
through their View attachment 312561 programming . . . .
(or loitering at terminals would certainly start happening again).
O'Hare can't even put cameras on the approach road to keep people from parking on the shoulder, what makes you think they'd do this?

northsider87

When re-match at the airports were a thing, I’d love getting rides from nearby hotels JUST to get a rematch. A couple of times, I had a ride get dropped off somewhere close by and I just headed towards the terminal before ending the ride. Once I got to terminal 1, I’d end the ride, and BOOM: rematch!

I don’t ever go to the airport but I always know to end the ride at terminal 1 so I get a better chance at a rematch.

Even if I get the rematch and my current rider is going to Spirit (T3), I just call the new rider and tell them I’m dropping off my current rider at terminal 3 and that I’ll swing around the airport real quick to pick him/her up. They’re usually super cool about it.

I feel like rematches will happen when drivers/riders cancel the ride and Uber tries to quickly find them a new driver that can get there sooner.

Lately, Lyft has given me more rematches. Usually adds them on before I even finish with the current.

Your main goal when dropping off at ohare is to get a rematch. Do your best to get it.

Halfmybrain

There is a software solution, i think. Once you end the trip at dropoff, it logs you out. You are prevented from logging back until you either enter the lot, or leave the grounds.

simple, clean, and consistent.

although, doesn't addresss the crowding. I've only witnessed that once live (a few times via video), my take is that you get a bunch of expert drivers, used to nudging and 'bogarting' their way into traffic, and it's just not a pretty sight. you're not gonna legislate manners, courtesy from a bunch of disconnected, detached drivers without the long arm of the law.

i was in a line last night ($5 movie Tuesdays ) and there was a single box office teller for about 30 people. None of us were patient but none of us were boors with each other....we stood face to face, all in the same "boat" and complaining our shouting "HURRY" wouldn't have changed things.

drivers have a car and semi anonymity insulating them from their own humanity. also, am i wrong?-there's a lot of testosterone and a feeling of competition and entitlement (I deserve to get to my rider) so HOONNNNKKKKing and cussing and fender-bendering and fist-fighting your way out of the gypsy camp.

mikes424

I have a slightly different solution.
Narrow the exit path so only one car can fit. Run the single lane back past where the food trucks park. The food trucks and handicap parking would need to be relocated. Close off the exits from the various parking lanes so cars need to enter the exit lane from the far end of the lot. Then widen the exit at Balmoral to two lanes.

That way the congestion is far from the exit and exit traffic should flow smoothly. Or at least as smooth as possible without a traffic light.

Last edited:

UberBeemer

simple, clean, and consistent.

although, doesn't addresss the crowding. I've only witnessed that once live (a few times via video), my take is that you get a bunch of expert drivers, used to nudging and 'bogarting' their way into traffic, and it's just not a pretty sight. you're not gonna legislate manners, courtesy from a bunch of disconnected, detached drivers without the long arm of the law.

i was in a line last night ($5 movie Tuesdays ) and there was a single box office teller for about 30 people. None of us were patient but none of us were boors with each other....we stood face to face, all in the same "boat" and complaining our shouting "HURRY" wouldn't have changed things.

drivers have a car and semi anonymity insulating them from their own humanity. also, am i wrong?-there's a lot of testosterone and a feeling of competition and entitlement (I deserve to get to my rider) so HOONNNNKKKKing and cussing and fender-bendering and fist-fighting your way out of the gypsy camp.
I posted the solution to crowding in another post. A massive conveyor like an automatic carwash... you drive in, put your car in neutral, and it gets pulled through and you don't get a ping until you're near the exit...

SatMan

Reconfigure the pit so you have to get in line in order to get a ride...example, lane 1-2 uberx, lane 2-3 lyft....lane 4 select, 5 lyft....and so on.
This would serve the true purpose of First in First out. No more pinging 5-10 cars at a time causing everyone to leave like the start of a race.

If you have to park to get rid of all that red bull you've been drinking, taking a break, or need to clean up etc, etc. You are not in line. Once you are in line again you are good to go. As you move to the front of the line you get the next trip available.

FIFO means uber/Lyft cannot cherry pick the ride they want to give you....ie; You get the next trip out. No screwing you with all short trips all night because you refused to take pool rides while you were DT.....LOL You don't want it...back to the end of the line.

Bugs can be addressed here to refine this process...Go ahead all you brainiacs, make my day....
And as for all you meatheads out there......STFU!!!! LMAO

Last edited:

Ping.Me.More

there's a lot of testosterone and a feeling of competition and entitlement (I deserve to get to my rider) so HOONNNNKKKKing and cussing and fender-bendering and fist-fighting your way out of the gypsy camp.
Well said! And, I'll bet if I had a real beater-car (dents, rust, smashed front end, etc.), I could bluff my way out of the Gypsy Camp way faster, as my car's condition would confirm my degree of aggressiveness.
LOL

northsider87

Why don’t they have a lower level to exit out of that goes straight across the intersection?

I really wonder why they stopped us from turning right out of the pit. I don’t even use the pit and I try to come up with ideas. I used to love going there for a ride at night. It sucks now.

UberBeemer

Reconfigure the pit so you have to get in line in order to get a ride...example, lane 1-2 uberx, lane 2-3 lyft....lane 4 select, 5 lyft....and so on.
This would serve the true purpose of First in First out. No more pinging 5-10 cars at a time causing everyone to leave like the start of a race.

If you have to park to get rid of all that red bull you've been drinking, taking a break, or need to clean up etc, etc. You are not in line. Once you are in line again you are good to go. As you move to the front of the line you get the next trip available.

FIFO means uber/Lyft cannot cherry pick the ride they want to give you....ie; You get the next trip out. No screwing you with all short trips all night because you refused to take pool rides while you were DT.....LOL You don't want it...back to the end of the line.

Bugs can be addressed here to refine this process...Go ahead all you brainiacs, make my day....
And as for all you meatheads out there......STFU!!!! LMAO
Ok. SEVERAL carwash conveyors...

Halfmybrain

I posted the solution to crowding in another post. A massive conveyor like an automatic carwash... you drive in, put your car in neutral, and it gets pulled through and you don't get a ping until you're near the exit...

That is awesome. There are a million practical objections, I suppose, but this is creative and I think the concept could be adapted.

Various colleges adapt challenges and come up with alternatives. I know Stanford looked at a no profit organization and figured out ways the group could support itself, with its niche market and unique expenses. They proposed ideas for moving forward. Not even sure if this was at all solicited or okayed by the nonprofit. I guess it was a class project, basically, maybe motivated by a student who knew, or was a member of, the group.

UberBeemer

The other more futuristic proposal i was going to make would be like the multilevel car park like in that mission impossible movie, or the carvana vending machine. Like a jukebox for cars. If you take a ping, it rotates you down and out...
Post automatically merged:

Of course, in a city that's brike, and working for companies that hemorrage cash, we won't ever see anything better than hot asphalt and a portopot.