• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Oh Dear...Dollar Surge Coming?

MoneyMitch

So, I just did a drop in NYC and I notice this on my Uber app...

Could be a foreshadowing of what’s to come.

MoneyMitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you a NY driver?
No but since I’m registered to deliveries I sometimes get delivery requests when I do drops there.
God those $1 surges must be getting the NYC TLC drivers salivating like Pavlov's Dogs and racing each other to get those pax picked up !!!
ironically I haven’t seen anyone posting anything about this yet in the NYC forums. I wonder if it just applies for deliveries.

SuzeCB

God those $1 surges must be getting the NYC TLC drivers salivating like Pavlov's Dogs and racing each other to get those pax picked up !!!
Don't forget, NYC drivers already have minimum pay, after expenses, that's guaranteed. And a cap on how many can be competition.

Tougher pax, though.

Fernando-R

So, I just did a drop in NYC and I notice this on my Uber app...

View attachment 326336

Could be a foreshadowing of what’s to come.
NYC had the dollar surge from many many many many months ago..... I think it was back in December or January.
I don’t foresee that happening in NJ.... at least not for a while, NJ is a whole different situation, I feel in NJ you are more likely to get Long Trip requests and Uber knows if they were to switch to dollar amount drivers won’t be taking those rides anymore and that will affect customer satisfaction.
The only way i see dollar amount surge coming to NJ is if Uber were to make adjustments to the fare when taking long trips like if you take a trip with surge +$8 and it turns out to be a long trip then for Uber instead of giving you $8 they’ll do a 1.9X adjustment kind of thing. Otherwise dollar surge I don’t see it working well in NJ.

MoneyMitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
NYC had the dollar surge from many many many many months ago..... I think it was back in December or January.
I don’t foresee that happening in NJ.... at least not for a while, NJ is a whole different situation, I feel in NJ you are more likely to get Long Trip requests and Uber knows if they were to switch to dollar amount drivers won’t be taking those rides anymore and that will affect customer satisfaction.
The only way i see dollar amount surge coming to NJ is if Uber were to make adjustments to the fare when taking long trips like if you take a trip with surge +$8 and it turns out to be a long trip then for Uber instead of giving you $8 they’ll do a 1.9X adjustment kind of thing. Otherwise dollar surge I don’t see it working well in NJ.
Oh cool good to know. It was the first time for me seeing that and I was like....oh man. And thanks for the detailed insight.

VictorD

No but since I’m registered to deliveries I sometimes get delivery requests when I do drops there.

ironically I haven’t seen anyone posting anything about this yet in the NYC forums. I wonder if it just applies for deliveries.
Then, I don't believe you're seeing TLC surges because Uber doesn't allow us to see surges or airport ques outside our home market.

However, it could be EATS surge, but without more information that's only speculative.

MondayMan

Then, I don't believe you're seeing TLC surges because Uber doesn't allow us to see surges or airport ques outside our home market.

However, it could be EATS surge, but without more information that's only speculative.
I have traveled a couple of times recently and I could see surges and airport queues in other states. It wouldn’t let me go online, but I could see everything. Bright red doesn’t seem so appealing when you see “$5” on top of it.

VictorD

I have traveled a couple of times recently and I could see surges and airport queues in other states. It wouldn’t let me go online, but I could see everything. Bright red doesn’t seem so appealing when you see “$5” on top of it.
Oh, ok. Then, you were in NYC. That explains why you saw the surges. I was referring to what could be seen when you weren't physically in the state.

Jeff1205

If it's a long trip Uber still pays you more than the dollar surge amount. Dollar surge is still garbage but thought I would fill you in.