• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Official Department of Health Response on FILLING DRINK ORDERS in San Diego, CA

Iann

Good for you for doing this.
I used to run a kitchen and take health matters serious.
All it takes is 2 people from separate parties to claim and confirm for poisoning gets the restaurant shut down for a disease outbreak.
All food must be thrown out of that happens which costs money the restaurant does not want to lose.
I would be giving out sealed plastic soda bottles instead of a cup.
I would take a picture of each employee and the cup they gave you to fill and give that to the local health inspector.

All General managers have to pass a test that is above and beyond the regular test a food worker takes to get their food safety card.
They know better.

Invisible

OP, post this under your other thread, if you haven’t, to stop the nonsense on that thread. That’s pretty much every state. It’s been covered so much last year in the UE forum.

XLnoGas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OP, post this under your other thread, if you haven’t, to stop the nonsense on that thread. That’s pretty much every state. It’s been covered so much last year in the UE forum.
Why do so many drivers fill the drinks then? It makes the ones who follow UE policy at risk for a negative review on the app by the merchant.

Ta85

This is still going on???!!! I mean ok dont fill the drinks then... Is this really happening to you soooo much to make such a big deal about it? I fill maybe 2 drinks a month if that and if that helps get me on my way quicker so be it. I understand this issue seems to really bother you but yes there are other drivers that will fill the drink without causing a scene. I hope you find some peace with this issue.

XLnoGas

This is still going on???!!! I mean ok dont fill the drinks then... Is this really happening to you soooo much to make such a big deal about it? I fill maybe 2 drinks a month if that and if that helps get me on my way quicker so be it. I understand this issue seems to really bother you but yes there are other drivers that will fill the drink without causing a scene. I hope you find some peace with this issue.
After having an email I can avoid any kind of issues at a restaurant. Full of peace now. Thank you.

dgates01

Why do so many drivers fill the drinks then?
There aren't so many of us doing it. It's just the occasional time when we realize we can do it quicker than they can and we want to be out of there and not waiting on them.

There was one person on here that complained about having to fill a drink, but then he also mentioned that he does his deliveries with two dogs in the backseat. Some restaurants give us the food in open bags. How many of his dog's stray hairs have ended up in those bags?

So the health code violation argument seems a little silly with that particular example. But the bottom line is, if you don't want to fill a drink, don't. It's not the end of the world. Worry about bigger things.

XLnoGas

Worry about bigger things.
Answer me this, which is the bigger thing to worry about? (option 1) develop concrete regulations for 3rd party delivery partners in my local area? OR (option 2) just keep filling up the drinks not saying a word?

Well you are welcome for digging up research for you, if you live in San Diego, to be able to have a substantial reason for declining to fill a drink for whatever the reason.

ColonyMark

How do we know if the restaurant employee’s hands are clean? For all we know they just went to the bathroom and didn’t pay attention to the employees must wash hands sign. That sign makes me laugh. I mean...shouldn’t everyone wash their hands after using the restroom?

Seamus

How do we know if the restaurant employee’s hands are clean? For all we know they just went to the bathroom and didn’t pay attention to the employees must wash hands sign. That sign makes me laugh. I mean...shouldn’t everyone wash their hands after using the restroom?
Judging from what I see, the only way I would want a soda delivered to me is in a sealed bottle. A lot of these fast food employees could care less about sanitary practices unless there is a manager who cares. A FF place I deliver from has the grossest person you can imagine putting the orders together. Last night I witnessed her (with no gloves) sneeze, wipe her nose with her bare hand, and then wrap a cheeseburger. The slob at the counter had his fingers inside of the cup of soda he was filling up.

FF is the worst and the driver filling a soda is the least of it! LOL. Unless there is a Manager on top of things (rare) no one cares.

XLnoGas

Really it depends on how clean is the restroom sink and the air dryer. Many times I use my own hand sanitizer. Specially if on my way out the door handle is wet. Disgusting.
Judging from what I see, the only way I would want a soda delivered to me is in a sealed bottle. A lot of these fast food employees could care less about sanitary practices unless there is a manager who cares. A FF place I deliver from has the grossest person you can imagine putting the orders together. Last night I witnessed her (with no gloves) sneeze, wipe her nose with her bare hand, and then wrap a cheeseburger. The slob at the counter had his fingers inside of the cup of soda he was filling up.

FF is the worst and the driver filling a soda is the least of it! LOL. Unless there is a Manager on top of things (rare) no one cares.
You can report these things to your local health department. They take those things seriously.

Ta85

How many of his dog's stray hairs have ended up in those bags?
Ewww now that sounds like a bigger issue that deserves some attention.. Maybe the op can tackle that issue next cause i for sure wouldnt want to recieve a delivery from a driver that has their dogs in the car... I know people just cant go ANYWHERE without their dogs nowadays but some of us are allergic.... And also i saw a ue driver picking up an order at the same place i was picking up from and she had brought her 3 or 4 year old son in with her who ran all over the restaurant didnt listen to her at all then ran all throughout the parking lot refusing to get back in the car when it was time to go. An actual customer had to help her get him into the smudge covered car... Not sure how she see's out the window... I was embarrassed to be her "coworker"... Maybe the op can tackle some of these bigger issues??? Sure you could find some regulations or atleast some "shouldnt do it" text somewhere.

XLnoGas

Ewww now that sounds like a bigger issue that deserves some attention.. Maybe the op can tackle that issue next cause i for sure wouldnt want to recieve a delivery from a driver that has their dogs in the car... I know people just cant go ANYWHERE without their dogs nowadays but some of us are allergic.... And also i saw a ue driver picking up an order at the same place i was picking up from and she had brought her 3 or 4 year old son in with her who ran all over the restaurant didnt listen to her at all then ran all throughout the parking lot refusing to get back in the car when it was time to go. An actual customer had to help her get him into the smudge covered car... Not sure how she see's out the window... I was embarrassed to be her "coworker"... Maybe the op can tackle some of these bigger issues??? Sure you could find some regulations or atleast some "shouldnt do it" text somewhere.
I always tie the plastic bag closed on the restaurant’s counter. But you’re right, not every restaurant provides plastic bags.

Plastic bottle drinks, and better, safer bags for transporting food/drink.

ColonyMark

That’s nasty! The USA is still better than other countries. My wife is from Mexico. We were down there last year and went to a meat market. The people working there were handling raw beef, chicken and pork. Not one person was wearing gloves!