• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Off the Books

Have you done "Off-the-Books" trips?

• Total voters

Maven

Please vote in the poll. How many of you have driven a friend/acquaintance who compensates you on a trip, agreed to in advance, without running the Uber App?

It's a win-win! The rider may pay less than ordering a regular Uber. The driver earns more without paying the 25% Uber cut. You both know the other person, often have a pleasant conversation on the ride, and it's usually an all cash transaction.

I believe this is quite legal and does not violate the Uber TOS as opposed to an illegal street hail, which if caught gets you a huge fine and is an Uber TOS violation.

Mars Troll Number 4

Please vote in the poll. How many of you have driven a friend/acquaintance who compensates you on a trip, agreed to in advance, without running the Uber App?

It's a win-win! The rider may pay less than ordering a regular Uber. The driver earns more without paying the 25% Uber cut. You both know the other person, often have a pleasant conversation on the ride, and it's usually an all cash transaction.

I believe this is quite legal and does not violate the Uber TOS as opposed to an illegal street hail, which if caught gets you a huge fine and is an Uber TOS violation.
That depends.. are you giving out business cards and charging set rates or just driving your friend/sister home from a bar?

PTUber

Some of my friends know I Uber on the side so they ask me if I can drop off or pick them up at the airport on occasion, so I do it if I can. I felt kind of weird taking money from them at first since they are friends but they insist. It's a win-win.

Cableguynoe

Of course it's legal. Giving a friend a ride to places like the airport and them giving driver a few bucks for gas/time happens everyday. Just look at all the airport drop offs not being done by Uber drivers.

SuzeCB

It's not illegal for you to give a friend or family member a ride, and then have them turn around and offer you money for gas. It is illegal for you to set a particular price for this, as that turns you into a taxi service comma and an illegal one at that. Kind of the way over is in many areas, and this is why they will cover your attorney and reimburse you for whatever fine you receive for getting tickets for simply being Uber.

Do remember to keep in mind that a Pax is a Pax comma and not your friend. They are out looking for the win on their side. If you are also able to win while they are getting their win, that's fine but that's not their goal. You don't hang out with these people. You don't invite them to your home for the holidays. You don't vacation with them. They are your customers. It is a business relationship. If something were to happen they would not bat an eyelash against the thought of suing you for everything that you didn't even know you had or will have.

Trafficat

The poll is a "public" poll. I bet you get a higher proportion of "yes" votes if the username isn't published with the vote.

Paul Vincent

If you take money from a non relative or friend and get into an accident I can't even begin to explain the legal ramifications. Your insurance company should already know that you are Rideshare driver and they will thoroughly question any injured party or 3rd party in your vehicle. They do not want to be on the hook when they don't have to be.

Another Uber Driver

If I am going to drive them off-application, I put them into my cab. That is decidedly legal. It is not an Uber TOS violation as long as you do not open the Uber application while you are doing it.

Others have cited driving a friend somewhere and said friend gives you money for gasolene. That is all well and good, but, what happens when you are involved in a collision, especially an at-fault collision and your friend suffers bodily injury. Once money becomes involved, things change. Your "friend" gets a lawyer. Insurance companies become involved.

Yes, I know, "How often do you get involved in a collision?" "Not everyone is involved in collisions." "The odds are against it.". Yes, not inaccurate, but every once in a while, it does happen. You just never know when it is your turn in the barrel.