• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

odd information in pax app

dash1729

I picked up a pax today and he commented that his Uber app had just displayed a message saying "Your driver is from Canada". He then showed me his app display and sure enough it did say "Your driver is from Canada".

I was wondering how Uber came by this information. I did, indeed, spend much of my youth in Canada, but I haven't lived there in 31 years. I don't recall mentioning anything about Canada when I applied to drive for Uber. Moreover the background checks Uber ran only looked back to about the last 10 years of (solely US) history--they didn't look back nearly far enough to my Canadian days. Moreover although I spent much of my youth in Canada, I wasn't born in Canada, so if I ever provided my place of birth (I can't recall if I did) they wouldn't be getting the Canada stuff from there.

Has anyone else had something similar--or any other random information about them--pop up like this in a passenger app? It is not a secret that I have lived in Canada, but it also not something I'd expect their software to easily turn up. And if their AI is advanced enough to figure out my Canadian background from 30+ years ago, then they probably know other stuff about me I would NOT be comfortable having revealed to a random pax.

Plus, Canada is generally not considered the most controversial country in the world, but in today's politically charged climate I could see there being drivers who might come from countries where they would NOT want their past residency revealed to random pax.

dash1729

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You didnt set up a driver profile? It pulls random info from there like languages, where you are from and ride count
Oh OK that explains it. I must have set that up when I first started driving for Uber and then forgot about it. I don't typically visit the "Profile" when I'm using the app, and it appears that this info only appears when I access "Profile" in the app--not when I access "Profile" via the web.

Kodyhead

Oh OK that explains it. I must have set that up when I first started driving for Uber and then forgot about it. I don't typically visit the "Profile" when I'm using the app, and it appears that this info only appears when I access "Profile" in the app--not when I access "Profile" via the web.
Go into ACCOUNTS then hit DRIVER PROFILE

Or if new app hit your face button twice

BrettS

I’ve gotten a few cool car badges and of late several passengers have gotten in telling me that the Uber app told them that I was coming in a cool car.

Christinebitg

"Your driver is from Canada". He then showed me his app display and sure enough it did say "Your driver is from Canada".
The most goofy part of that is that implies you currently live in Canada.

At best, it's ambiguous.

I used to write refinery operating procedures for a living. You'd be surprised at how clueless some writers can be, with respect to not writing things ambiguously.

Christine

Scott.Sul

Nice how you acknowledged your error but you forgot to apologize for your oversight.