Uber Drivers Forum banner

OC Fair is hell on earth for Uber drivers

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  OC Lady Uber Driver 
#1 · (Edited)
I was able to make two drops to the OC Fair yesterday and I'm posting my experience and would like to see how other Uber drivers handled theirs.

1) Pax from the nail salon/mall/parking lot then +2 riders wants to be dropped at the fair and we are driving against the traffic flow. They end up jumping out into the traffic lanes that are at a dead stand still at 6:30PM on Fairview.

2) Pax from near the airport wants to go to the fair at 7:00PM. I know where the designated drop off gate is, but I can't get to it because traffic on Newport Blvd is at a dead stand still and I can't merge into it from the freeway. After waiting 30 minutes, she says she's OK with getting dropped off and walking in, so I drive around Vanguard Uni and drop her off on the side of the police station where they have placed the "No Parking- Employees Only" hand written signs. It didn't say, no stopping, so that's where I dropped her on Vanguard St. in total view of a cop sitting in their driveway.

#6 ·
My experience is one Ride [SELECT] from RSM, a big one. [at least the money was good]
Last night: It started at 4:30 PM.
They [elderly couple] loved me and gave me a "5". We had a lot of time to chit chat, haha..
I could only get them within I mile of the entrance. It was the worst traffic snarl I've ever encountered.
Traffice control maximized the gridlock.
My PAX's graciously decided to walk the last mile [would've taken me 30 minutes.]
That was my last ride this weekend.
Next week? I might have a better strategy or attitude.

#7 ·
I was able to make two drops to the OC Fair yesterday and I'm posting my experience and would like to see how other Uber drivers handled theirs.

1) Pax from the nail salon/mall/parking lot then +2 riders wants to be dropped at the fair and we are driving against the traffic flow. They end up jumping out into the traffic lanes that are at a dead stand still at 6:30PM on Fairview.

2) Pax from near the airport wants to go to the fair at 7:00PM. I know where the designated drop off gate it, but I can't get to it because traffic on Newport Blvd is at a dead stand still and I can't merge into it from the freeway. After waiting 30 minutes, she says she's OK with getting dropped off and walking in, so I drive around Vanguard Uni and drop her off on the side of the police station where they have placed the "No Parking- Employees Only" hand written signs. It didn't say, no stopping, so that's where I dropped her on Vanguard St. in total view of a cop sitting in their driveway.
Let the noobs play there, I know you where the money is. DON'T give yourself a headache over these idiots who want you to perform miracles.

#12 ·
I drove for 5 years back and forth from OC to El Segundo, so I can handle heavy traffic that moves but when the signal lights were not adjusted for event traffic and the cops working the streets around the fair placed orange cones or were just standing around doing nothing to help the gridlock there. It was ridiculous. The fair traffic was even backed up onto the 73N.

#9 ·
Alternatively: maybe use the same strategy as with Hollywood Bowl?

IE: turn on Lyft, take one ride there, and find out how you're ACTUALLY supposed to get in...

PS don't ask, not like I remember....just that it was uneventful and pretty fast

#10 ·
Griffith observatory is the worst here in L.A Took me 20 min to get from the park entrance all the way to the top. Those cheap pool pax were also lazy and didn't want to hike up not even a block like the rest of the people there. Never again. And to top it off i am sure they rated me low because i told them not alot of uber drivers would do this. I should have cxld. I'm so mad at mysel. Leason learned...the hard way

#11 ·
Its a pain, this is how one 1.8x ride transpired for me:

"were like were next to the ferris wheel", ok i said, what gate color is it? they reply, again "were next to the ferris wheel", great thanks for clarifying, how about which street are you on, "we're off Newport" ok that's yellow, I'm on my way. 4 minutes later and 100 feet, I call them, hey yellow gate is blocked, outgoing traffic only no incoming. The official uber drop off is the blue gate. they were like "ok well meet you there" I told them no,go ahead and cancel, I don't need their drunk asses in my car and I know they would 1 star me for thier own fault. I ended up with a 1.9x 20 mile ride right after. Bad side was dead mileing back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.