Uber Drivers Forum banner

O Smurf Ball that last ping wasn't a UberEat's ping. Great trip.

UberEats 
564 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ThanksUber 
#1 · (Edited)
I didn't know this but my kid took my nice car and I took a Uber rideshare ping from home. All I had to drive was my rusty but trusty almost 600,000 mile Toyota.

I called the PAX right away and explained what happened so they could cancel and get another driver right away. The PAX began to beg for me to pick her up telling me that she have been trying to get a ride for 10 minutes. The pickup was a few blocks from my house so I agreed but I told her I would pick her up in my Toyota. The girl said that would be OK. I went to the pickup and picked up the girl and drove her to her college dorm. There is not a single car on the road. The route was all city roads no freeway. When we got to the dropoff we talked a few minutes about what is happening with the world. I guess we talked for about 20 minutes on lots of different things and then she noticed the pictures of my grandson. I told her about him and all the fun we have together. I showed her a bunch of pictures of him and we talked some more about her family and how she was apart from them and missed them. This girl really wanted to talk. Normally talking with someone you just met can be difficult but it was really a nice conversation. I think we could have talked for at least a few hours, but after about a hour I got a call from home and we parted ways. When she hopped out of my car she said thanks grandpa it was really nice talking with you and she tried to hand me a $20. I told her to keep it. Your a nicer person than most and you really need to save your money granddaughter. She smiled and thanked me again and then walked up to her building.

This is my last trip for the day and it's the most enjoyable person that I have met doing this kind of thing in a long time.

I wanted to share this because of how wonderful meeting this person was.

Do any of you have any great experiences with people you meet doing this and it makes your day in a wonderful way?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have met many incredible people doing this job... Too many to count... I too enjoy when you get a passenger that you connect with and the conversation just flows... Not even having to fake it.. I love good conversation with great people...

Glad to hear your story that's awesome!!! And great job not taking the tip... Her tip was being real people and having a real connection.

Vision care Sunglasses Gesture Goggles Thumb

#6 · (Edited)
I thought about it but I remember when I was her age. She is a freshman in college maybe 19 or 20. Alone maybe a little scared and definitely thinking about her family. She just wanted someone to talk too and we didn't really start talking until we got to her destination. It really wasn't that she needed a ride back to her dorm she needed someone to be a friend. The big scare right now is this virus. When I was her age the big scare was Vietnam. The oil crisis in 1973. Then the sequel when OPEC shut off the oil to the USA in the late 70s. Iran hostage in the early 80s. The stock market crash in 1987 and recession that followed. The second recession in 1992 caused be increased oil prices. Who can forget 9/11 and another recession in the early 2000s. Why not follow that up with another crash and recession in 2008 caused by the housing bubble. Don't forget we sent out troops to a few wars during those years also. Then there was SARS when Obama was president and now this.

My point is that this bug could kill me or I might never get sick. If it kills me what do I care about my bills getting paid or not. There is a good chance that a majority of people will just be fine after this thing is over. The only problem is that in a few short years something else will be the next big event.

$20 is also not going to make a difference. I can't buy toilet paper in any store in the entire city where I work. All I got is some napkins that I took from my local McDonald's and people have bigger problems. One of the waitresses that I work with is a single mom working at 2 jobs at different restaurants that have both closed.

I'm management at a restaurant that is not prepared to go from doing sales inside the restaurant to completely doing delivery and take out. My main job is to keep everyone working. We are reopening on the 27th regardless if we are ready or not.

Anyway this young college girl made me think about what is really important. It's family and friends and all the people that you care about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.