O’HARE DEMONSTRATION April 18,2019 3:00 pm-5:00 pm

SatMan

Unbelievable people, 90 views and still no comments, likes, or sarcastic remarks...
It looks like you all might agree with this but are too scared to post it. It's a small step forward....congratulations.
Post automatically merged:

I hope some of you do "something"!!! to support this.

Last edited:

4Wheels5Stars0Hopes

Unbelievable people, 90 views and still no comments, likes, or sarcastic remarks...
It looks like you all might agree with this but are too scared to post it. It's a small step forward....congratulations.

What’s to do? The last time it seemed like a bust. All hyped up energy and zip about it afterwards. There wasn’t any “what should we have done better,” etc. insanity is...

I tried helping the cause, giving media tips, taking your advice and not driving Uber in solidarity for a day, but if the organizers don’t communicate, or learn from past demonstrations, my interest and respect wanes

SuperStar3000

So far, all I see is a badly produced graphic with no information.

If "Chicago Rideshare Advocates" wanted to be taken seriously, they would establish some presence on this forum rather than ignoring its existence.

The graphic says something about assembling at Target. I'm not questioning whether they sought permission to loiter and park on private property, but I am confused about why they want to be dropped off at the terminals.

There is no information whatsoever, not even a website, phone number, or any other kind of information.
What are we supposed to be posting or commenting on ??

Papritsa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I posted this,copy paste from Chicago Rideshare Advocates,on there Facebook page since THEY didn’t. I just wanted the info to get out there. It’s a second organized step after the TNP rally a few weeks ago. It’s something better then nothing I guess. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

EddieG

Sorry, I get to drive when I want, where I want and who I want. I make around $25 an hour during the week and over $30 an hour Friday and Saturday. I actually prefer disparity in the workplace. It's there for a reason. If you aren't making more than $15 an hour with rideshare, then you should seriously consider doing something else. There are plenty of drivers on here who make a good wage. They are strategic, intelligent, and efficient.....thus they should make more than the driver who is not. Instead of pushing for "fair pay" (whatever that is), why don't you do some homework, plan your day out and ask some of the more experienced drivers on here for some wisdom. Stop looking to some government bureaucrat who doesn't give a shit about you to help you out. There are plenty of things you can do as an individual to help yourself out. Trust me, the last thing you want in anything is MORE government involvement (i.e. war on poverty, war on terror, medicaid, medicare, college loans, VA hospitals, public school system, etc. etc. etc.) Literally, everything they touch turns to shit.

veblenrules

Sorry, I get to drive when I want, where I want and who I want. I make around $25 an hour during the week and over $30 an hour Friday and Saturday. I actually prefer disparity in the workplace. It's there for a reason. If you aren't making more than $15 an hour with rideshare, then you should seriously consider doing something else. There are plenty of drivers on here who make a good wage. They are strategic, intelligent, and efficient.....thus they should make more than the driver who is not. Instead of pushing for "fair pay" (whatever that is), why don't you do some homework, plan your day out and ask some of the more experienced drivers on here for some wisdom. Stop looking to some government bureaucrat who doesn't give a shit about you to help you out. There are plenty of things you can do as an individual to help yourself out. Trust me, the last thing you want in anything is MORE government involvement (i.e. war on poverty, war on terror, medicaid, medicare, college loans, VA hospitals, public school system, etc. etc. etc.) Literally, everything they touch turns to shit.
My Medicare sure beats not having market provided insurance if I could get it at all. I never got the feeling that a Blue Cross or Hartford rep gives a shit about helping me out. I'd rather have a public school system than one that pushes a particular religious or social agenda. The first thing you want is citizen participation to ensure public accountbility by government entities. I don't think I can obtain enough weapons to fight off terrorists who blow up buildings or shoot up churches and synagogues.

4Wheels5Stars0Hopes

My Medicare sure beats not having market provided insurance if I could get it at all. I never got the feeling that a Blue Cross or Hartford rep gives a shit about helping me out. I'd rather have a public school system than one that pushes a particular religious or social agenda. The first thing you want is citizen participation to ensure public accountbility by government entities. I don't think I can obtain enough weapons to fight off terrorists who blow up buildings or shoot up churches and synagogues.
Jesus, it always turns to politics.

ANTlifebaby

I didn't comment because my mother taught me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.

Also taught me not to piss in other peoples' cheerios, so fare the well warrior, don't let me stand in your way.

But if you want my honest opinion, I believe Lyft and Uber are essentially strike proof.

UberC-Max

What are the talking points we should know about the protest? Somebody may ask if I am aware of the protest. It would be nice to know what exactly they want. What amount is considered fair pay? Do they want a switch to W2 from 1099? Do they plan to mention the issue about DF and the paltry bonus for not using DF all week?

SuperStar3000

What are the talking points we should know about the protest? Somebody may ask if I am aware of the protest. It would be nice to know what exactly they want. What amount is considered fair pay? Do they want a switch to W2 from 1099? Do they plan to mention the issue about DF and the paltry bonus for not using DF all week?
That's the problem - nobody knows what it's about, and "Chicago Rideshare Advocates" has nothing to say to the members of this forum, although they must realize that they would stand to gain from reaching out to some of us, or at least telling us how to reach them.

UberBeemer

I think the key initiatives aren't intended to put government in control, but to get government to work for us by setting a higher bar to become a driver. Right now, it's very low. If there were an educational requirement, like a rules of the road test, a knowledge of rideshare related ordinances, finger printing, etc., and a cap on the number of TNP licenses, maybe that would be a benefit. Letting them recruit constantly creates problems that the companies have no interest in resolving, but municipalities ought to be interested in.

If the association can advocate those points, and provide a path toward better service, maybe they can get the cities to take notice, and work with them and the companies to deal with the issues we come here to vent about.

The free market is going to let us twist as long as CEO's and board members aren't held to some degree of social responsibility.

Undermining public transit isn't in anyone's best interest, nor is signing up every tom, dick, and harry with a serviceable car.

Last edited:

EddieG

1. Medicare is probably great for you, not so much for the tax payers who have to pay for it. It is full of fraud. Just 3 days ago the feds busted a $1.2 BILLION scam. Yes, that's a B. 2. I already know going in my insurance broker just wants my business. He doesn't have to feed me a shit ton of lies like our lovely politicians. Oh yeah, and if I don't like him, I can get another one. If you don't like your local politician...well you can either move or you can wait and hope he/she gets voted out. 3. Have you been in a public school lately? If you don't think they push a social agenda, spend a day at Oak Park River Forest High School or any other one of your choice. While you're at it. come down to the Back of the Yards where I work and you see the wonderful government provided education at Tilden and Richards High School. I work with the Valedictorian of Richards High School. He scored a 16 on his ACT. Yes, you read that right. The smartest kid in the class scored a 16. Also, he couldn't pass English 101 at a junior college. So yeah, keep relying on all those government bureaucrats to educate our kids. Especially the ones who need it the most. 4. I am all for citizen participation. The right to assemble peacefully should be exercised as much as possible. Not trying to prevent anyone from exercising their right, just don't agree with it and explaining my position and a plausible solution. 5. Not sure what guns and terrorism has to do with this conversation. I assume you think I'm a supporter of the idiot in the White House. Sorry to disappoint. I typically vote Libertarian.

I think the key initiatives aren't intended to put government in control, but to get government to work for us by setting a higher bar to become a driver. Right now, it's very low. If there were an educational requirement, like a rules of the road test, a knowledge of rideshare related ordinances, finger printing, etc., and a cap on the number of TNP licenses, maybe that would be a benefit. Letting them recruit constantly creates problems that the companies have no interest in resolving, but municipalities ought to be interested in.

If the association can advocate those points, and provide a path toward better service, maybe they can get the cities to take notice, and work with them and the companies to deal with the issues we come here to vent about.

The free market is going to let us twist as long as CEO's and board members aren't held to some degree of social responsibility.

Undermining public transit isn't in anyone's best interest, nor is signing up every tom, dick, and harry with a serviceable car.

If that's the case, then count me in. Anything to thin the herd would be a good thing for both passengers and drivers.

veblenrules

1. Medicare is probably great for you, not so much for the tax payers who have to pay for it. It is full of fraud. Just 3 days ago the feds busted a $1.2 BILLION scam. Yes, that's a B. 2. I already know going in my insurance broker just wants my business. He doesn't have to feed me a shit ton of lies like our lovely politicians. Oh yeah, and if I don't like him, I can get another one. If you don't like your local politician...well you can either move or you can wait and hope he/she gets voted out. 3. Have you been in a public school lately? If you don't think they push a social agenda, spend a day at Oak Park River Forest High School or any other one of your choice. While you're at it. come down to the Back of the Yards where I work and you see the wonderful government provided education at Tilden and Richards High School. I work with the Valedictorian of Richards High School. He scored a 16 on his ACT. Yes, you read that right. The smartest kid in the class scored a 16. Also, he couldn't pass English 101 at a junior college. So yeah, keep relying on all those government bureaucrats to educate our kids. Especially the ones who need it the most. 4. I am all for citizen participation. The right to assemble peacefully should be exercised as much as possible. Not trying to prevent anyone from exercising their right, just don't agree with it and explaining my position and a plausible solution. 5. Not sure what guns and terrorism has to do with this conversation. I assume you think I'm a supporter of the idiot in the White House. Sorry to disappoint. I typically vote Libertarian.

If that's the case, then count me in. Anything to thin the herd would be a good thing for both passengers and drivers.
Actually OPRF is a pretty damned good school and if there seem to be too many liberals out there maybe it's connected to intelligence. The fact that Richards and Tilden have such poor results illustrates that resources aren't distributed equitibly,especially at pre school level where it can do the most good. Some of the best secondary schools in the country are Chicago public schools and there are public preschool programs that prepare the little guys to do well later on as well. Obviouly we don't have nearly enough of them.The fact that there are CPS high schools like Jones, Payton, Lane Tech, Chicago Agricultural and Whitney Young demonstrate what can be done by public schools attended by kids from all communities. One of the best elementary schools in Chicago for years has been Beasley at 52nd and State Streets, not to mention Lenhart at 83rd and La Salle. My daughter went to a hell of a public elementary school, Ray at 57th and Kimbark, got into Jones and graduated from Carlton College in Minnesota. All of these successful public schools depend on the local community to support the kids and hold the bureaucrats' feet to the fire. It works. Ask Michelle Obama and her brother Craig. By the way a lot of charter schools have proven to be money making scams with overall results that barely match public schools. Triple B, Juan Rangel, anyone? We could just let Betsy de Vos turn all public education over to the private sector and graduate millions more Creationists. Being a citizen in a representative democracy is hard and frustrating, but if you wash your hands of the situation as meaningless B.S., you get Agent Orange and the creeps around him.

If someone is shooting up a church or synagogue I'm calling a tax supported law enforcement agency,not George Zimmerman.

Last edited:

UberBeemer

Well said, @veblenrules. I think this industry needs oversight, and not just in terms of ordinances designed to generate revenue streams. The free market clearly can't be trusted to do anything other than what it has been doing to drivers all along.

The problem has been, despite the talk of strike or sue or gaming the system, there hasn't been any serious origanizing until recently. Maybe this association isn't perfect, but complaining and turning our backs on it isn't going to help.

Frankly, i am glad they are around to speak up, because if we left it up to the aldermen and the company to decide what's best, we won't be very happy.

EngineerAtHeart

Wow on Easter weekend lets crowd the terminals so people have a hard time flying in/out. The positive I guess in the media attention it could draw. But it may be negative because of what I just said.

northsider87

Actually OPRF is a pretty damned good school and if there seem to be too many liberals out there maybe it's connected to intelligence. The fact that Richards and Tilden have such poor results illustrates that resources aren't distributed equitibly,especially at pre school level where it can do the most good. Some of the best secondary schools in the country are Chicago public schools and there are public preschool programs that prepare the little guys to do well later on as well. Obviouly we don't have nearly enough of them.The fact that there are CPS high schools like Jones, Payton, Lane Tech, Chicago Agricultural and Whitney Young demonstrate what can be done by public schools attended by kids from all communities. One of the best elementary schools in Chicago for years has been Beasley at 52nd and State Streets, not to mention Lenhart at 83rd and La Salle. My daughter went to a hell of a public elementary school, Ray at 57th and Kimbark, got into Jones and graduated from Carlton College in Minnesota. All of these successful public schools depend on the local community to support the kids and hold the bureaucrats' feet to the fire. It works. Ask Michelle Obama and her brother Craig. By the way a lot of charter schools have proven to be money making scams with overall results that barely match public schools. Triple B, Juan Rangel, anyone? We could just let Betsy de Vos turn all public education over to the private sector and graduate millions more Creationists. Being a citizen in a representative democracy is hard and frustrating, but if you wash your hands of the situation as meaningless B.S., you get Agent Orange and the creeps around him.

If someone is shooting up a church or synagogue I'm calling a tax supported law enforcement agency,not George Zimmerman.
America is a republic. Not a “representative” democracy. LOL!