NYE stats

Mista T

Author
Over 10 hours put in. About 1 hr was complete online dead time or dead miles. Including those, I averaged $49/hr gross. Grossed over $500 total.

$3.37/ mile driven

3 tips on Uber for $5 total, out of 20-25 rides.

7 Lyft tips for $28 total out of 10-15 rides.

Lyft was 38% of my rides but 29% of my income, even with tips. Only 2 surge rides of over $3, one was over $20.

Uber was 62% of my rides and 71% of my gross, with 11 surge rides over $3. 5 of the surges were $10+, and 4 of them were $20+. Plus I scored a promo from Uber for Quest.

But... Uber is trying to steal $20+ by claiming a rider did not take a ride. I'm fighting it, and have video proof. Now they are saying it is a tech glitch and should be fixed in a couple days. So if anyone else is experiencing ride rejections, fight it! I suspect they are simply trying to steal from drivers.

4 paid cancels between the two. Taking out the cancels but considering tips and promos, I averaged $10.43/ride on Lyft and $15.17/ride on Uber.

Over/Uber

I had numbers that were good, not quite to your level, but worth getting out on the stupid-drunk holiday that it is.

Speaking of drunk, I had one cancel in Old Town among the blockaded streets. I watched and listened to the confused pax talking with me on the phone when the extremely drunk girl with him fell hard into a parked car, and got up on very wobbly legs. He still hadn’t ID’ed me so I hung up, cancelled, and drove right by them while they kept stumbling toward the next corner. Bummer, too, cuz it had $21 surge on it. She wasn’t worth the extra cash. Only got a cancel-no show fee.

Rolled up to another pickup, waited, called the rider who told me he had already got a ride. My ride with him was still active. Yep, he was so drunk that he had jumped into someone else’s Uber ride and the dumbass driver took him anyway. Another bummer cuz his had $20 surge. I almost dry-hauled his ass for the surge payment but I’m on thin ice with Uber so thought better. Only got a no show fee,

So, those two dipshits cost me $40.

Gotta love alcohol.

Nerka

$500? Wow, I made $300. If I had really done it right I think I could have gone to $350-$375. In order to insure I got the promotion I just stayed with Uber after 10:00 PM and they offer significantly better surge anyway. Started at 8:30 PM and went to 3:00 AM so 6.5 hours. In reality from 12:00 midnight to 3:00 AM is best. 11"30 to midnight way sucks.

Joe Biker

I'm also impressed with $500 for 10 hours. I guess this means I'll have to switch from Lyft to Uber. I did 11 hours and made $420.

$1.72 / mile driven
50% passengers giving tips totaling $72.

MrKen

I did pretty good for my first NYE. I got off my regular job at 11 pm. I got gas, I started probably about 11:30 and got my first Lyft ride at 11:36 and picked up at 11:40, I made $12.03 off that ride. At just after midnight I got my first Uber rider and from there I did 7 rides all together. I ended up with a bonus of $15, and several surges with the last one at $45. My take home after all of the rides and promotions - Uber - $181.99 with bonus and everything. Lyft - just the 12.03. So about $194 for about 3 hours worth of driving. My longest one was from North Portland to Gresham, and that was last trip because I was tired at about 02:20 hours. I think it was a good night!

Joe Biker

Made $307 on lyft and another $40 in shuffled Uber rides.
Iann, did you track miles or hours ?

With people like MrKenn(see above), I feel this is almost like gambling, you get a couple awesome rides, then simply quit while you are ahead :wink: Nice work sir.

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Iann, did you track miles or hours ?

With people like MrKenn(see above), I feel ... gambling, you get a couple awesome rides, then simply quit while you are ahead :wink: Nice work sir.
If he hadnt quit it would have been dead, Gresham is nothing after 3am, and definitely no surging compared to portland.

I got very lucky, almost all of my rides were 5-10 minutes, so I was still in the area for the next surge ride.

My biggest was from Mississippi area to Damascus. But they FREAKED when I said Damascus... they input wrong dropoff. They were really going 5 mins away. Would have been a 35 min ride otherwise and would have basically ended my night.

MedicMan

My biggest was from Mississippi area to Damascus. But they FREAKED when I said Damascus... they input wrong dropoff. They were really going 5 mins away. Would have been a 35 min ride otherwise and would have basically ended my night.
I had one of those while back. The folks entered a drop off in the SW hills. I verified the address with them as I always do. We got to the address and it was an empty lot as the house had slide down the hill many years ago ( I remember it happening ).

They double checked the address and they got it right. I was still on the clock and hadn't closed out the ride. They said it was a restaurant and gave the name. I looked it up and got the right address and took them there. It was one block from where I picked them up. But we had a nice chat and the gave me a nice tip.

Mista T

Author
But... Uber is trying to steal $20+ by claiming a rider did not take a ride. I'm fighting it, and have video proof. Now they are saying it is a tech glitch and should be fixed in a couple days. So if anyone else is experiencing ride rejections, fight it! I suspect they are simply trying to steal from drivers.
Immediately after I got the message that the pax rejected the charge, they refunded the pax. I disputed immediately, and they THEN said it was a tech glitch, should be fixed in 48 hours.

I sent a response to that, calling BS. They sent another message saying it was a known tech glitch, should be fixed in 48 hours.

Today I started a NEW ticket, demanding my money. Their response? Tech glitch, 48 hours.

So I went to the Hub. Ah, yes, it appears the pax DID indeed dispute the charge (tech glitch my ass!!!) but I had enough info to "prove" my side of things. Offered up video, they declined it and credited me the money anyway. I suggested they consider going after the customer for fraud. They said that normally the pax who commits fraud gets banned, but I have my doubts that anything will come of it.

Joe Biker

Looking at my NYE stats a bit more, why my $/mi was so low, I was in Beaverton for a while. They queued every next ride, unfortunately the next ride was typically 6 mins drive away from my drop off. It seems most on this forum have no qualms about declining rides if they are too far away. Is there a down side to doing that?

MedicMan

So I went to the Hub. Ah, yes, it appears the pax DID indeed dispute the charge (tech glitch my ass!!!) but I had enough info to "prove" my side of things. Offered up video, they declined it and credited me the money anyway. I suggested they consider going after the customer for fraud. They said that normally the pax who commits fraud gets banned, but I have my doubts that anything will come of it.
The pax is a scammer. When a ride is ordered it gives the cost of the ride including any surge pricing. It's not like they don't know what the cost will be. I took an Uber ride for the first time the other day to learn how the system works. I knew exactly how much it was going to cost before I pushed the button.

I am going to get a dash cam. I have had some "interesting" rides lately and want to protect myself. With all the false accusations that have hit the news lately I am getting kind of paranoid. Paranoia has served me well in the past and I want to make sure that I have more than a he said, she said defense.

Mista T

Author
Looking at my NYE stats a bit more, why my $/mi was so low, I was in Beaverton for a while. They queued every next ride, unfortunately the next ride was typically 6 mins drive away from my drop off. It seems most on this forum have no qualms about declining rides if they are too far away. Is there a down side to doing that?
Downside is you may not get a closer ride. Then you just sit there with nothing to do.

MedicMan

Downside is you may not get a closer ride. Then you just sit there with nothing to do.
For sure. Sometimes I have to drive a ways to get a pax and get back into the game. It's a tough decision and we only have 10 seconds to figure it out.

Mista T

Author
For sure. Sometimes I have to drive a ways to get a pax and get back into the game. It's a tough decision and we only have 10 seconds to figure it out.
Exactly!

It's a game. Takes time to figure it out.

If I am downtown and they want me to go up to OHSU or across a bridge or Montgomery Park to pick up, they can kiss my butt. Plenty of rides downtown if I simply wait.

But if I am in Cornelius and they want me to pick up in Forest Grove, I will take that chance, cuz it is highly unlikely to get another ride in Cornelius at ANY time of day or night.

MedicMan

Exactly!

It's a game. Takes time to figure it out.

If I am downtown and they want me to go up to OHSU or across a bridge or Montgomery Park to pick up, they can kiss my butt. Plenty of rides downtown if I simply wait.

But if I am in Cornelius and they want me to pick up in Forest Grove, I will take that chance, cuz it is highly unlikely to get another ride in Cornelius at ANY time of day or night.
And a Forest Grove ride might get you to Aloha, and Aloha to Beaverton, and Beaverton to Portland. Then you are back in the game.