NYE Bust

Yankee

Got on the road at 5:45 p.m. yesterday (NYE). Driving Lyft only. (I know, I know.) The roads were practically empty most of the night. Didn't get stuck in one traffic jam, even on I-35. By 10:00 I'd made $75. Less than $20/hr on NYE. I've done better than that on most normal Saturday nights. Averaged 2 pings per hour. Not one jackpot fare until the 1:00 Power Zone surge went into effect. By 2:30 a.m. I had brought in $266. I took one group of drunk girls home for cash $75 at the end of the night, so that brought my total to $350 so l went home. Last year, with Fasten, I took in $400 even with 2 hours downtime (when the servers crashed). My take on this is the rideshare industry is dying here in Austin. Not enough demand for the supply. I pretty much stopped driving regularly around Thanksgiving, for this reason, but $350 after 8 hours of driving on NYE is a bit much for me to swallow.

P.S. I know some folks will come on here with tales of hitting the jackpot. I've seen some drivers do that during the holidays while I've made $10/hr, so maybe I'm not a great cab driver, or maybe some people are luckier than others. Point is, if anybody is making bank doing this gig, while people like me are struggling to make it worthwhile to get out there, that suggests the market here is not big enough. I've got over 2000 rides under my belt. I've gotten better, seen my ratings rise (4.84 now) and my income slashed by 50% in the past 3 years. This is literally the adult version of a newspaper route only with the benefit of getting to make your own hours.

Last edited:
It has absolutely nothing to do with Ride Share losing traction in Austin. It is a lot more about the market getting flooded with new drivers being on-boarded in recent months by Lyft and Uber both.

You have to adapt as well and learn to drive smarter.

I gave a good bit of thought to how I approached last night, drove for 3 hours before 10PM and 3 hours after 12AM and grossed just over six bills.

I've adapted how I approach every day since the beginning of December as a result of all the Damn Lyft ads I heard on the radio and what I saw happening at the airport ques and all the damn amps lighting up the streets.

Swam4Texas

I got stuck in the Perimeter of Plight (71/620/Bee Caves Road) but took what was there because I was going for the six rides/$30.

Wake up this morning and one of my six rides out there totally doesn't appear on my log. Email tech support and they, of course, totally don't even understand the message I sent. I'll have to go by the support center tomorrow, I guess.

Still made $400 or so for the night, which is $400 more than I did last year after Ann Kitchen @@@@@d herself out to the cab company president at my family's expense.

Ziggy

Of course, U/L flooded the streets with drivers ... now that they pressured the Texas Legislature to pass a statewide Rideshare bill, it's only gonna get worse ... That said, I made more $$ last year without U/L ... relying on just Fare, Fasten, Get Me. And I made more in 2015 before U/L started their race to the bottom. *2015 = $1,100 on NYE (Uber only). 2016 = $900 (Fare, Fasten, GM). 2017 = $560 (Fasten & Uber).

I only took a few Uber trips because Uber capped their surge at 1.7x; whereas with Fasten, I got several 6x and 5x trips ...

For those of you who chose not to work last year, that's on you ... 'cause I made $900+ without U/L and frankly was a lot happier without the veil threats from Uber for rejecting trips ... and def happy about not paying 28% to Uber.

Yankee

Of course, U/L flooded the streets with drivers ... now that they pressured the Texas Legislature to pass a statewide Rideshare bill, it's only gonna get worse ... That said, I made more $$ last year without U/L ... relying on just Fare, Fasten, Get Me. And I made more in 2015 before U/L started their race to the bottom. *2015 = $1,100 on NYE (Uber only). 2016 = $900 (Fare, Fasten, GM). 2017 = $560 (Fasten & Uber).

I only took a few Uber trips because Uber capped their surge at 1.7x; whereas with Fasten, I got several 6x and 5x trips ...

For those of you who chose not to work last year, that's on you ... 'cause I made $900+ without U/L and frankly was a lot happier without the veil threats from Uber for rejecting trips ... and def happy about not paying 28% to Uber.
Wow Ziggy! Sounds about right. I did better with Fasten, too, though I stopped working with them for other reasons. The differential between 2015 and now is amazing to see.

TNCMinWage

Its a race to the bottom. Too many suckers out there have crawled out of their holes over the past 6 months to drive for U/L - not knowing how good it used to be (and I say that in relative terms of course), and now settling for serious chump change. I'm done for good in two weeks, and couldn't be happier. Thanks to all the ants for taking rides in my neighborhood at .79 per mile the last 6 months, when I was getting $1.65 prior, enjoy barely covering your depreciation and expenses thinking you are making money fools!

Ziggy

Well, the airport was surging tonight (NYD) on Uber 1.6x ... but I ignored all those and took a bunch of 2x Fasten instead. Not taking 1.6x uber and then paying uber 28% ... nope the 2x Fasten was all mine (minus the 99¢).

Recoup

I saw lots of R|A surge—mostly in the 3x-4x range. I made $53/hour, although I went home and relaxed for an hour either side of midnight. R|A customers were definitely tipping well... it’s not often you see $24 for a ride from Tarrytown to West Sixth!

Yankee

It has absolutely nothing to do with Ride Share losing traction in Austin. It is a lot more about the market getting flooded with new drivers being on-boarded in recent months by Lyft and Uber both.

You have to adapt as well and learn to drive smarter.

I gave a good bit of thought to how I approached last night, drove for 3 hours before 10PM and 3 hours after 12AM and grossed just over six bills.

I've adapted how I approach every day since the beginning of December as a result of all the Damn Lyft ads I heard on the radio and what I saw happening at the airport ques and all the damn amps lighting up the streets.
You're totally right, Roger. I worded that wrongly, its not losing traction. It's just losing traction for me lol. I'll admit I am probably not the smartest guy when it comes to mapping a good driving strategy. I rarely put any thought into it. There was a time I was able to clear enough to live on by just hanging out far north or far south. I haven't adapted much, and probably haven't put myself in enough situations to get lucky.

TNCMinWage

Well, the airport was surging tonight (NYD) on Uber 1.6x ... but I ignored all those and took a bunch of 2x Fasten instead. Not taking 1.6x uber and then paying uber 28% ... nope the 2x Fasten was all mine (minus the 99¢).

Nice! I got some nice Fasten boosts yesterday morning as I didn't drive NYE - $1.70 a mile - $2.70 a mile. I like when they turbo charge their booster around holidays and you get big ones even in the suburbs.

Ziggy

Nice! I got some nice Fasten boosts yesterday morning as I didn't drive NYE - $1.70 a mile - $2.70 a mile. I like when they turbo charge their booster around holidays and you get big ones even in the suburbs.
I'd rather take a Fasten (no boost) than an Uber 1.5x all day long. Interestingly, there weren't any boost hexagons at the airport when I snagged the 2x boosts last night; but since it was colder than witch tatas in a brass bra everyone was mashing on the 2x boost. The smallest ride I got last night was 2x 4-seat to SoCo for $25 ... all the rest were at least $50 :smiles:

TNCMinWage

I'd rather take a Fasten (no boost) than an Uber 1.5x all day long. Interestingly, there weren't any boost hexagons at the airport when I snagged the 2x boosts last night; but since it was colder than witch tatas in a brass bra everyone was mashing on the 2x boost. The smallest ride I got last night was 2x 4-seat to SoCo for $25 ... all the rest were at least $50 :smiles:

Nice. Woke up to a nice 2x boost on Fasten for $70. Nowhere in Austin was surging.

While driving, I thought about all the Uber and Lyft loving saps driving their pax to the same place for $30. Love it.

Last edited:

wilsonz83

Nice. Woke up to a nice 2x boost on Fasten for $70. Nowhere in Austin was surging.

While driving, I thought about all the Uber and Lyft loving saps driving their pax to the same place for $30. Love it.
No, Uber/Lyft should be only $25, you forgot their cut!