NYC TLC Suburban drivers making $2600 per week

NJDriver

I have passed those used Black NYC Suburbans wondering how much those guys made. I have even pondered getting an SUV, but since everything associated with an SUV is double the price I wasnt going to make that move. Last night at the airport I met a guy at the 7-11 who drives a Suburban and he showed me his app. He had a string of $2600 weeks. He told me he works from 12pm to 10 pm and hangs out around the Meatpacking district in NYC.

His Suburban was not a 2015 and looked to be a few years older in need of a good wash/wax. I was quite impressed by the numbers.

NJDriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope! I do not paint a "flowery" picture. Re-read some of these posts. Like Ubering at the shore and sleeping at the parkway service station. Playing cat and mouse with the cops. Working 12 hour days doing short fares in Hoboken. Driving in rain and snow storms. The time I spend on here is when Im sitting in the car waiting for fares.

If sleeping at the service area in your car, playing cat and mouse with the cops, working 12 hour days, etc. is a "flowery" picture. I kind of wonder what you think a real bad job is. I honestly dont enjoy driving, but this is not about enjoyment. This is about making a dollar and feeding my family not to mention myself. You can sit here posting all you want, but at the end of the day people need to make that dollar.

Plus if you think $2600 a week is "good money" in New York City think again. Consider that you have to pay $800 a month in insurance, $50 per day to fill that Suburban and the Suburban itself. Tires and everything else costs double. What you are left with is not exactly Bill Gates money to buy a yacht. I guess its good money if you dont have work or other skills to begin with...

We drivers only do this because we have to and thats what you "dont get". No one wants to drive anyone around. They do it because this is what they have to do.

Last edited:

NJDriver

Ive been considering getting an SUV and going TLC for a long time. Now I have real data to consider. $2600 a week seems like a lot but you have to figure 50 dollars in gas per day, 800 month insurance and you have to pay for the Suburban. It might take me a year of hard work just to work off the Suburban alone. I do kind of like my current setup where I use my paid off Camry to grab a few hundred per week and maybe a 1000 when my other business really slows down. Buying a Suburban would put me in the hole for a year or more as I work my ass off to pay it down or off. What about the slow weeks or the weeks where I am too busy with other things to drive?

I was amazed this guy from Egypt with an accent and no education could simply be bringing in 2600 per week.

ARIV005

I have passed those used Black NYC Suburbans wondering how much those guys made. I have even pondered getting an SUV, but since everything associated with an SUV is double the price I wasnt going to make that move. Last night at the airport I met a guy at the 7-11 who drives a Suburban and he showed me his app. He had a string of $2600 weeks. He told me he works from 12pm to 10 pm and hangs out around the Meatpacking district in NYC.

His Suburban was not a 2015 and looked to be a few years older in need of a good wash/wax. I was quite impressed by the numbers.
I wouldn't get a new Suburban either.... Most PAX are sloppy and inconsiderate.

NJDriver

Thats one of the questions I asked which was what type of person would pay 2-3 times the UberX rate for a ride? Right now I looked up the fare to Newark Airport which is about $45 from where I live, but if I ordered up a Black car it would be $125. When I personally go to the airport for a trip, I just want to pay the cheapest fare possible and wouldnt care about much else. However, if I was an executive type or had a lot of cash I might pay $125 for the much better ride. I did once see a bunch of drunk kids jump into a Uber Suburban, but at $4.50 a mile, 80 cents a minute I dont think the driver minded. I think you would get a better crowd at the Black car rates. Higher income types who need a good ride and of course the drunks who want to travel in their group of 6-7.

NJDriver

Im going to sit down and put pen to paper outlining all the expenses and expected income and compare it up to what I have currently. A decision will be made... For the guy from Egypt and those guys from Pakistan, its a no brainer, they have nothing else. No pen to paper for them. They have to buy that Suburban and practically live out of it in NYC driving it everyday 10 or more hours straight.

NJDriver

plus the question is will I have the ability to fire up the Suburban every day trolling around Manhattan or the airports no matter what happens. The answer to that question is no which is why UberX is ideal. So you want to be a truck driver, you can still sneak into Newark playing cat and mouse with the police in your personal car giving rides like the illegal cab at 4-6am. However, if you get the Suburban you really have to drive that thing around Manhattan every day and rack up at least 40 hours.

Alex12

Ive been considering getting an SUV and going TLC for a long time. Now I have real data to consider. $2600 a week seems like a lot but you have to figure 50 dollars in gas per day, 800 month insurance and you have to pay for the Suburban. It might take me a year of hard work just to work off the Suburban alone. I do kind of like my current setup where I use my paid off Camry to grab a few hundred per week and maybe a 1000 when my other business really slows down. Buying a Suburban would put me in the hole for a year or more as I work my ass off to pay it down or off. What about the slow weeks or the weeks where I am too busy with other things to drive?

I was amazed this guy from Egypt with an accent and no education could simply be bringing in 2600 per week.
i hope you don t think they all immigrants are uneducated. Many many immigrants have more school that the average people that live in USA. Having an accent is no problem if the person speaks a good English. I am amazed too about some drunks who work in construction and get paid 25-30$/hour and they have no education. Most of them are born/rise in U.S. but are. I personally know a idiot guy who makes tons of money just because his father in low has connections in construction business. Now about the Suburban thing. I know two brothers that got a 2015 suburban and put it on livery. They work together 12 hours shifts each 6-7 days a week. I think that is the only way to do it. The expenses are huge. Monthly payment is around 7-8 hundred plus insurance. If you can get a good driver to make money for you when you are not working is better. All the car expenses will get paid from the other driver fee and when you work all the profit goes in your pocket. This is my opinion. I am sure is better to make a good ride every 2-3 hours than 2-3 cheap rides per hour with Uber x. Plus Uber x will go forever like that. Is just a matter of time till some laws will go in effect. I just talk with somebody from FL and one county there suspended Uber x for now, I don t know if in Jersey a county has that power but it can t go forever like that. I am sure

NJDriver

Here is something I posted in another thread which are key points.

First, I saw the earnings directly from the app on his phone. Second, he told me he spends usually 50 dollars per day for gas. From what I have heard TLC SUV drivers spend 800 dollars a month give or take for insurance. Third, he was driving a 3 to 4 year old Suburban which has to help on insurance costs. It was an LT. I heard a while back a trick of getting a used Suburban which had exactly 2 years left to save on depreciation. Use it as much as possible for 2 years and sell it. I actually just looked up what it costs for a 2013/2014 Suburban LT and you can get one under 30. It comes to mind what if you show up in this thing and they downrate you for the vehicle. Its a risk, but this guy seemed to have been working it just fine. Better than paying full price for a 2015/2016 which will run probably upwards of over 50-60 grand. A lot of us could come up with up to 30 grand to pay for it outright, but not 50-60 grand.

Finally and most importantly the guy had been driving since long before Uber so he knew the business. Someone who doesnt have that experience might take some time to learn. He knows where to hang out. Someone who doesnt have this experience might need a lot more time. He seemed to have a routine already set out from day to day starting at 12pm and ending at 10pm so he was set on what to do, where to go, etc. Most of us here, to include myself, would find themselves rumbling around in this thing 16-18 hours per day, every day, trying to learn a routine. This guy has a set routine. He also admitted he drives 10 hour shifts which probably turns out to be 12-14 hour shifts. It seemed like he worked 6-7 days a week. In fact, he told us today was supposed to be his day off, but he found himself driving.

The above are very key points to remember when considering this. Im not painting this out to be easy money. If you have been driving for a while you know Uber and driving in general is not easy money. I think the people who drive Uber know that driving is not easy money, but are just happy to have something coming in. Just like me. If I can make some extra cash each week thats fine by me, but I would like to earn as much as I can.

Last edited:

forkedover

Those numbers are legit, insurance from Zurich is closer to 350 for commercial on a used SUV and using 91 octane and getting it reflashed for it black bear performance etc for 300 really boosts the mpg, as does keeping the tires inflated and running commuter oil or 0w 20 or 30. If you are doing 2 years of uber or sharing for those kinds of hours, lower it, get light weight wheels and low rolling resistance tires, it will literally add 30k to your bottom line in two years of 80-100 hour weeks, I've had 2300.00 weeks doing 70 hours.

AxL

I left NYC just because of the crazy traffic. Around 42nd and 45th it took me 15 min per block East to West between 4pm and 6 pm.
To take black car request you have to know how to drive NYC without gps, but keep it on for traffic updates like 9W, FDR, the tunnels, you have to be a pro-, you can't be btw. Otherwise your rating will drop very fast. UberX riders will treat you like cab driver. The most of the trips are UberX, the best are UberXL, from time to time you will have BlackCar request, may be one SUV request per day. JFK and LGA a good spots for unusual hours. I had Morristown, NJ to LGA hotels black car about $200, just made a turn to see how it is at LGA arrivals and took a trip to JC, NJ about $134. Uber only!
When you have a proper insurance and proper vehicle there is lot of work waiting. It can be OL NJ vehicle with TLC or NY TLC vehicle.
Routine, don't kill yourself, be sober, watch for every hazard on the road, if the pax says faster I am late etc, it is not your problem. You will have more than 100 trips per week.
Little by little you can bring between $400 and $1000 gross per shift. You have expenses, but you make money. Uber=Money, You have to work for what? For money.

Do you want to work in NYC and NNJ? Forget easy NJ traffic, be patient, live with the crazy rude drivers, deal with NYPD, yes they will give you a many many tickets, but this is the way it is.

And buy low mileage vehicle, SUV for sure.

MoneyUber4

I drove in NYC back in 1981 until TLC showed up on or around 1986. I sold my car right away after reviewing their new regulations. No way I had to go for mandatory tests and 5 vehicle inspection per year. Back on 1981, I was making $120 per day (equal to $500 - $580 today's money) for 10 hours driven after expenses. The bad part: my car was at the mechanic shop every 2 weeks (about 12 to 14 hours work) cost of about $400 + a whole day of work gone. I used to change all tires every 3 months. My front suspension has to be repaired or replace parts almost every 2 months. Pot holes all over the city. Traffic tickets for crazy laws as one on 72nd St and Broadway: No right turn allowed from 7:30 AM to 8:00 AM, half of an hour law, a cop was at the corner waiting $50 dollars fine. The corner pole had 7 or 9 signs. No one could read them all. Now NYC have cameras to fine you really easy. TLC and NYC bleed the drivers.
Each inspection of TLC was about 3 to 6 hours + fee of $100 or $140 so it is a waste of half or whole day. We don't have time for it. Time is money.

Last edited:

Alex12

I drove in NYC back in 1981 until TLC showed up on or around 1986. I sold my car right away after reviewing their new regulations. No way I had to go for mandatory tests and 5 vehicle inspection per year. Back on 1981, I was making $120 per day for 10 hours driven after expenses. The bad part: my car was at the mechanic shop every 2 weeks. I used to change all tires every 3 months. My front suspension has to be repaired almost every 2 months. Pot holes all over the city. Traffic tickets for crazy laws as one on 72nd St and Broadway: No right turn allowed from 7:30 AM to 8:00 AM, half of an hour law, a cop was at the corner waiting. The corner pole had 7 or 9 signs. No one could read them all. Now they have cameras to fine you really easy. TLC and NYC bleed the drivers.
Each inspection is like 3 to 6 hours + fee. I We don't have time for it. Time is money.
120/day in 1981... That is crazy. We make same money now. I knew that American Dream was over after the 90 s. At least you got the good times. How much was a new car in 1981. A midsize sedan sedan?

MoneyUber4

120/day in 1981... That is crazy. We make same money now. I knew that American Dream was over after the 90 s. At least you got the good times. How much was a new car in 1981. A midsize sedan sedan?
In 1981 - I bought a used 1976 Chevrolet, Malibu Classic for $3,000 cash - I bought it on Route 46 from a used car dealer called Havana Motors which I paid off within 3 months. The rest was all mine for the whole year. My full year Insurance commercial coverage was $1,700 per year. There was not TLC. I was an independent driver and I worked the same way as Uber. Uber is breaking the back of many drivers by imposing a $3.20 per ride, that is crazy, you should be charging $10 to $15 per ride with NO 20% commission to Uber and without Uber's illegal insurance charge of $1.00 per ride + Tip.
Drivers should wake up and look for another way of making more money. What drivers are getting now per day is equal to about $12 dollars per day as back in 1981. Another factor is gas cost, back in 1981 gas was I believe $0.74 to $0.96 per gallon in NYC or less.
You drivers has to rise your standards. What Uber is paying is b.s. Totally Unacceptable.

Last edited: