NYC pick ups are they allowed?

BLACKSAND2015

I have only been driving part time for the last few weeks. I got a ride into the city, but I was not able to get a ride back to Long Island. I set the destination to go back to LI, but that did not work at all. I also set it for JFK airport and still got no rides. I do not have a tlc license. I have heard that you can not pick up Uber rides in NYC? I only made about $30 and with the toll to go back and the empty fare and the ware and tear on the car, it certainly was not worthwhile to go to the city at all. Does the same hold true for pick ups at JFK and LGA airports?

Pannyc

Well this strategy works, whenever u are in city there will always b someone wanting to go to jfk/ lga... u can quote them cash price that way you dont have to pay uber fees and would b able to make these trips worthwhile. Penn station / grand central terminal are good spots to start with. Same applies when u drop someone off at jfk or lga... go to arrivals and wait , someone will come and ask for a ride 100% ... make sure they know the price upfront just how uber gives them a price. $50 should b the base price and negotiated depending on the distance. Good luck!!

limoguard

I have only been driving part time for the last few weeks. I got a ride into the city, but I was not able to get a ride back to Long Island. I set the destination to go back to LI, but that did not work at all. I also set it for JFK airport and still got no rides. I do not have a tlc license. I have heard that you can not pick up Uber rides in NYC? I only made about $30 and with the toll to go back and the empty fare and the ware and tear on the car, it certainly was not worthwhile to go to the city at all. Does the same hold true for pick ups at JFK and LGA airports?
do not pick up in the city, the thousands of dollars in fines not worth. Also if you were to get in an accident you are not insured. you could be sued and they will take your home not worth 50 bucks to me

Super super

When you leave Long Island you have to come back empty city trips and airport trips are a losing trip you definitely lose money If you subtract gas tolls wear and tear on your call and the time you put in you make more delivering pizza

Prince100

Well this strategy works, whenever u are in city there will always b someone wanting to go to jfk/ lga... u can quote them cash price that way you dont have to pay uber fees and would b able to make these trips worthwhile. Penn station / grand central terminal are good spots to start with. Same applies when u drop someone off at jfk or lga... go to arrivals and wait , someone will come and ask for a ride 100% ... make sure they know the price upfront just how uber gives them a price. $50 should b the base price and negotiated depending on the distance. Good luck!!
I hope your are just kidding!!! because everything you said above is illegal

uber79nyc

LI to NYC on X calls is only worth it during 2x + surge, otherwise you make less than minimum wage. Don't get excited when the 45+ LONG TRIP pops on your screen, just let it expires or hit NO THANKS! You are definitely better off running a few locals.

Mny drivers are avoiding NYC trips, and telling the passengers cant take you to the City due to not being able to pickup in the city for ride back to Long Island. .
This has negatively affected passengers Uber and Lyft experience. I had one passenger who said I was the 3rd driver in a row that would not take him to Penn Station. he was mad as hell....wasted about 35 minutes on app, waiting, meeting 3 different drivers.I explained and he did not want to hear it.
I do recommend all new Long Island drivers accept all rides, even the NYC rides for the experience, after a few weeks you will be in the same boat as all of us and start refusing NYC rides until Uber and Lyft compensate the drivers for the return, this will continue.
some type of formula from one time $15-$30 fee, to calculated rate of .17 minute, .70 cents a mile charge until reach Nassau County Border.....

Super super

Mny drivers are avoiding NYC trips, and telling the passengers cant take you to the City due to not being able to pickup in the city for ride back to Long Island. .
This has negatively affected passengers Uber and Lyft experience. I had one passenger who said I was the 3rd driver in a row that would not take him to Penn Station. he was mad as hell....wasted about 35 minutes on app, waiting, meeting 3 different drivers.I explained and he did not want to hear it.
I do recommend all new Long Island drivers accept all rides, even the NYC rides for the experience, after a few weeks you will be in the same boat as all of us and start refusing NYC rides until Uber and Lyft compensate the drivers for the return, this will continue.
some type of formula from one time $15-$30 fee, to calculated rate of .17 minute, .70 cents a mile charge until reach Nassau County Border.....
Good they should be mad expecting drivers to work for nothing the government figures .54 cents a mile in expenses that leaves you with .16 cents a mile and .17 cents a minute so a 30 mile trip that takes you 3 hrs total and 60 miles nets you .16 x 30 = 4.80 .17 x.90 =15.30 total $20.10 for 3 hrs work $6.70 per hr not counting pick up time and miles and you care that passengers are mad .

Last edited:

Uber Duber Chick

Negotiate an up front cash return fee with the pax. It is entirely within the Uber TOS.

Good they should be mad expecting drivers to work for nothing the government figures .54 cents a mile in expenses that leaves you with .16 cents a mile and .17 cents a minute so a 30 mile trip that takes you 3 hrs total and 60 miles nets you .16 x 30 = 4.80 .17 x.90 =15.30 total $20.10 for 3 hrs work $6.70 per hr not counting pick up time and miles and you care that passengers are mad .

I say let the passengers get mad. Let them all get mad and complain to Uber. Then, MAYBE, Uber will raise the rates and we can get more.

had 3 pings to manhatten
mentioned a cash return fee, 2 thought I was trying to pull a fast one, and I left.
1 gave me a 1 start. I should not have started the pickup , so for 2nd one explained again, they thought i was conning them..
3rd one said i was the 3rd driver and he didnt want to wait another 15 minutes, as Lyft is not to popular in this town.
he said would give me $20, i dropped off near chinatown...he gave me $10. returned back to long island...
total 3.25 hours including going to first 2 pickups, cancelling them, taking 3rd to Chinatown, traffic back to long island.. total $30 + $10 tip, 50 miles on car (includes the rides to the 1st 2 cancellations)
not worth it..

BLACKSAND2015

I recently dropped off someone at JFK airport and drive to the cell phone lot and park. I then went online and set a destination back to LI. I was told that I was not allowed to do that and had to turn off the destination setting. If I did that I risk getting a ride going to the city or further away from LI. I was not willing to take that chance and I drove home with no fare. To be fair I would be able to get a ride, but to an unknown final destination.

Uber Duber Chick

I recently dropped off someone at JFK airport and drive to the cell phone lot and park. I then went online and set a destination back to LI. I was told that I was not allowed to do that and had to turn off the destination setting. If I did that I risk getting a ride going to the city or further away from LI. I was not willing to take that chance and I drove home with no fare. To be fair I would be able to get a ride, but to an unknown final destination.

If you are not TLC plate then you can't pick up from JFK or LGA