NYC passes minimum pay wage for Uber and Lyft drivers

Nu1

LOOK WHAT I GOT PAID ( BELOW ) BY UBER TODAY . Out of 22 of my trips i completed today Uber took out over 50 % on all trips i reviewed and i reviewed almost all of my history . On this trip i got $2.62 after spending $1 for gas, pro rate my car payment, maintenance, insurance and i made nothing yet,
Uber paid themselves a $7.45 for their commission . UNBELIEVABLE !!!

You Receive
  • Base Fare
    $0.86
  • Distance (1.51 mi × $0.7950/mi)
    $1.20
  • Time (5.02 min × $0.1125/min)
    $0.56
Total
$2.62

Your earnings are always calculated the same way. On every trip you provide, you earn your base fare, plus time and/or distance rates for the length of the trip, plus applicable tolls, fees, surge/Boost, and promotions. To see your rates anytime, see Fares in the menu.
Rider Pays
  • Rider Price
    $10.07
Rider Payment
$10.07

Includes any booking fees, pass-through fees, contributions, and reimbursable costs such as tolls paid by the rider.
Uber Receives
  • Service Fee
    $4.45
  • Booking Fee
    $3.00
Total
$7.45
What market are you driving? Would be nice if NY drivers would post some trips with the new pay structure and compare with old pay structure. Based on what others posted here there is no minimum amount guaranteed but instead a different pay rate.
Now is where it gets harder to understand the new pay structure. Is this just a rate increase for everybody that drives in that market ( a rate increase that will get to at least 26$/h minimum for the big majority, calculus that included waiting for a ping, drive to the pickup and waiting for rider). Uber , based on the data, determined this is what NY market needs to get at 26$/h level. Now my second thought, is this new pay structure variable at times? Are they paying more or less per mile, min just to achive that min 26$/h?!?
If,indeed, this is a pay raise for NY then I’m happy for them and I hope is coming in Chicago too. I don’t know what is that hard to digest the fact NY drivers got a raise, NYC did a great job by forcing uber pay a better rate( to me is as simple as that). If you are a good driver you can only do better with the new rates..... what is the beef that some good drivers don’t like better rates ( don’t we all want better rates? I’m sick to go work for .64$/mile in Chicago). Sick to chase uber’s carrots( quest, consecutive trip bonus or surge), uber should pay higher rates so drivers don’t play the app that much.

Scott.Sul

Fact, when horseless buggies (cars) first came out people were so freaked out there was no horse that people put fake horses on the front to chill people out....
Problem solved...
Airplane-autopilot.jpg

UberFooledYou1

Did anyone else notice Uber's statement used the phrase "Full-time drivers"? That seem's to be foretelling the direction they will take when fighting this legislation, as they most assuredly will. Guessing there will be stiffer requirements for drivers to get the $17.22 before expenses...hours worked, cancellation/acceptance rate thresholds, driver ratings, stiffer vehicle requirements, etc...

I'm curious to see how this unfolds and is a step in the right direction...could be something that happens across the U.S. eventually.
In NYC Uber drivers are full time drivers it's not rideshare in NYC, it's called FHV driver. There is no such thing as ridesharing to begin with, no one is sharing any rides when driving for Uber, you are a Taxi driver.
Uber started calling itself rideshare "and people bought this nonsense" so they could circumvent being labeled a Taxi company and having to adhere to the same rules and regulations that Taxi companies have to.

Last edited:

Stevie The magic Unicorn

In NYC Uber drivers are full time drivers it's not rideshare in NYC, it's called FHV driver. There is no such thing as ridesharing to begin with, no one is sharing any rides when driving for Uber, you are a Taxi driver.
Uber started calling itself rideshare "and people bought this nonsense" so they could circumvent being labeled a Taxi company and having to adhere to the same rules and regulations that Taxi companies have to.

Like most importantly medallions which at peak pre Uber costs were in the 100,000-$1,000,000 range EACH CAR for various North American cities.

Barrier to entry?

Uhh yeah.,.

Fermented Fruit

Nothing at all to indicate this will happen.

Lol. You think Uber will pay $17.22 to drivers who game and cherry pick?
It states they are required to now.
Until they deactivate. Then they don't have to. Otherwise there is no incentive to take any rides unless they raise the rates enuff to make it likely that you'd profit more than $17 by putting miles on yr vehicle by giving rides.

I guess I didn't need to say that. People already did. I should have more faith that the obvious will be pointed out.

Karen Stein

While they may seem trivial to some, their ARE differences between rideshare and taxi operations.

Namely, rideshare drivers do not pick up "wavers," sit on cab stands, or transport strangers who simply walk up. Nor do we handle cash.

We don't "have" to transport anybody.

I once drove a taxi. Apart from traffic - I doubt Christ himself could sort out traffic - Uber has eliminated nearly all the aggravations found in driving a cab.

By simply requiring an account and a credit card, the troublesome customers are eliminated. By letting ME control the schedule and having me provide the car, I don't have issues with the cab company.

For those who think we should have the same rules apply, here's a thought: how about we eliminate the medallion fees, abolish the useless taxi authorities, and repeal the rules?

I've never understood how folks can be so anti-freedom. Why do they think you will succeed if only you repeat the same mistakes with greater vigor?

Even today the cab companies refuse to adapt to reality. There is no reason they could not have designed a "Cab App" that would send you a Yellow or Checker cab in exactly the same manner as does Uber. There's no reason for drivers to be without integral navigation or a means to contact the customer.

UberFooledYou1

While they may seem trivial to some, their ARE differences between rideshare and taxi operations.

Namely, rideshare drivers do not pick up "wavers," sit on cab stands, or transport strangers who simply walk up. Nor do we handle cash.

We don't "have" to transport anybody.

I once drove a taxi. Apart from traffic - I doubt Christ himself could sort out traffic - Uber has eliminated nearly all the aggravations found in driving a cab.

By simply requiring an account and a credit card, the troublesome customers are eliminated. By letting ME control the schedule and having me provide the car, I don't have issues with the cab company.

For those who think we should have the same rules apply, here's a thought: how about we eliminate the medallion fees, abolish the useless taxi authorities, and repeal the rules?

I've never understood how folks can be so anti-freedom. Why do they think you will succeed if only you repeat the same mistakes with greater vigor?

Even today the cab companies refuse to adapt to reality. There is no reason they could not have designed a "Cab App" that would send you a Yellow or Checker cab in exactly the same manner as does Uber. There's no reason for drivers to be without integral navigation or a means to contact the customer.
Uber is not a rideshare "that's why they have been regulated in many cities and banned from others", Uber is a Taxi service for hire vehicle service. You are picking up complete strangers that DISPATCH you to pick them up and drive them from point A to point B for $. Uber got rid of the dispatcher with the app they created, the driver is the dispatcher and driver "Uber is only the facilitator of the app, and they charge the driver a certain percentage to use it to conduct their Taxi For Hire Vehicle business", why is it so hard for some people to comprehend.
You are NOT sharing your ride in way shape or form. You are conducting a business.
Uber created this term to circumvent laws that apply to every other Taxi For Hire Vehicle service on the planet. They are conducting the SAME service and business as Taxi FHV services.
In NYC Uber is considered a FHV service.
Ridesharing is when you share your ride with someone heading YOUR WAY.

Last edited:

Karen Stein

Nice try. Only problem is that the matter has been debated many times in open court and the rulings are clear: Uber is NOT a taxi service.

Try getting Checker to let you take rides from Yellow. Girl oood luck! Yet I take trips from Uber and Lyft all day long, with no issues. If I so desired, I could add trips from DoorDash, Rover, and whoever else. If I feel like taking a job to wire a house along the way (I have the license), none of my dispatch/bookkeeping services care - nor should they. I'M the business, not Uber.

Who would have thunk Yellow Cab would fear little ol' me? All those years the cab companies abused the customer and exploited the drivers. Along come Uber, beating them at their own rigged game. Small wonder their minions howl.

All the cab companies need do is to embrace the smart phone. One wonders why they refuse to adapt. It's telling that their only response is recourse to regulation - heaven forbid they adapt with the times.

Just keep trying to make arguments that have already been debunked. That will inspire confidence!

UberFooledYou1

Nice try. Only problem is that the matter has been debated many times in open court and the rulings are clear: Uber is NOT a taxi service.

Try getting Checker to let you take rides from Yellow. Girl oood luck! Yet I take trips from Uber and Lyft all day long, with no issues. If I so desired, I could add trips from DoorDash, Rover, and whoever else. If I feel like taking a job to wire a house along the way (I have the license), none of my dispatch/bookkeeping services care - nor should they. I'M the business, not Uber.

Who would have thunk Yellow Cab would fear little ol' me? All those years the cab companies abused the customer and exploited the drivers. Along come Uber, beating them at their own rigged game. Small wonder their minions howl.

All the cab companies need do is to embrace the smart phone. One wonders why they refuse to adapt. It's telling that their only response is recourse to regulation - heaven forbid they adapt with the times.

Just keep trying to make arguments that have already been debunked. That will inspire confidence!
What court is that, what exactly is an open court. Uber is a Taxi service, nothing more nothing less. All you are doing is going in circles, trying to tell us a banana is not a banana but an apple.

Karen Stein

I note that just last August new regulations were proposed that would give the taxi commission authority to regulate rideshare.

Think about that. That means that even the taxi commission recognized that rideshare did NOT constitute taxi service, so the commission did not have any authority to regulate it.

That's pretty plain. The same drama has taken place in every city that has ride share. Time and again, taxi authorities realize they have no jurisdiction. If anyone is "going in a circle," it's the sundry taxi advocates who keep making the same failed arguments. This is so plain that one Queens judge put it bluntly to the taxi folks: adapt or die.

Rideshare does not pick up random haulers. Taxis do. Rideshare doesn't handle cash. Taxis do. Clearly, taxis and rideshare are different businesses.

Just because they share SOME features they aren't the same thing. Might as well argue for running camels in the Kentucky Derby.

Lawlet91

Your argument falls extremely short when you look at Mears in Orlando. Yellow, checker and city cab are all run by Mears Transportation, and they have their own app to book rides through as well so your “it’s not a taxi company because taxis don’t have an app(or any other reason you come up with for not haves)” is very inaccurate and taxis have had these things longer than Uber has even existed

Karen Stein

Very nice. What's their market share? Has rideshare affected them at all?

Many places have the taxi business monopolized by a few firms. What barriers are there to entering that market?

Lawlet91

Very nice. What's their market share? Has rideshare affected them at all?

Many places have the taxi business monopolized by a few firms. What barriers are there to entering that market?

Taxi business is not monopolized here, Uber Lyft and 4 other “major” cab companies operate in Orlando (Mears has about 90% of non-rideshare business since they have the exclusive contract with WDW) and the barrier to entry is laughably low here at $500 a permitted cab in Orange County, though you need to be more than an independent to get city of Orlando or airport permits, (thus the 5 companies that work MCO) the regulation here is very small but all of it is entirely justified

UbeeDubee

I note that just last August new regulations were proposed that would give the taxi commission authority to regulate rideshare.

Think about that. That means that even the taxi commission recognized that rideshare did NOT constitute taxi service, so the commission did not have any authority to regulate it.

That's pretty plain. The same drama has taken place in every city that has ride share. Time and again, taxi authorities realize they have no jurisdiction. If anyone is "going in a circle," it's the sundry taxi advocates who keep making the same failed arguments. This is so plain that one Queens judge put it bluntly to the taxi folks: adapt or die.

Rideshare does not pick up random haulers. Taxis do. Rideshare doesn't handle cash. Taxis do. Clearly, taxis and rideshare are different businesses.

Just because they share SOME features they aren't the same thing. Might as well argue for running camels in the Kentucky Derby.
Camels in the Kentucky Derby? Good One! You go girl!

Karen Stein

Cabs require permits?

Uber is not required to have the permit?

Rideshare is not a taxi service. Q.E.D.

Next question, please

Tysmith95

Why are people saying that Uber created "rideshare" to circumvent rules. It was Lyft that first allowed people without commercial insurance to pick up passengers, for a "recommended" price. Uber started out as a black car service, but once they saw Lyft getting away with "rideshare" taxi services they followed suit with UberX.