• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

NYC passes minimum pay wage for Uber and Lyft drivers

Castaneda7189

You’re right, it doesn’t say we’re employees, it’s inferred however that with min wage drivers would be. I mean 2 bucks goes for paid time off, sounds like employees to me. I can see tons of deactivations or limitations to the amount of drivers on the road. They will probably implement driver hourly blocks, similar to amazon flex. Those that are able to profit the company stay and those that are costing the company will get the boot. Uber isn’t charity. It’s there to make money. Either by deactivating drivers or limiting them and allowing prices to increase while paying them a flat rate with the new surge model. So many possibilities. I don’t doubt the evil that is Uber.

uberdriverfornow

Did anyone else notice Uber's statement used the phrase "Full-time drivers"? That seem's to be foretelling the direction they will take when fighting this legislation, as they most assuredly will. Guessing there will be stiffer requirements for drivers to get the $17.22 before expenses...hours worked, cancellation/acceptance rate thresholds, driver ratings, stiffer vehicle requirements, etc...

I'm curious to see how this unfolds and is a step in the right direction...could be something that happens across the U.S. eventually.
Good catch. Perhaps they will use the argument that drivers have to drive 40 hours a week to qualify. lol

You’re right, it doesn’t say we’re employees, it’s inferred however that with min wage drivers would be. I mean 2 bucks goes for paid time off, sounds like employees to me. I can see tons of deactivations or limitations to the amount of drivers on the road. They will probably implement driver hourly blocks, similar to amazon prime. Those that are able to profit the company stay and those that are costing the company will get the boot. Uber isn’t charity. It’s there to make money. Either by deactivating drivers or limiting them and allowing prices to increase while paying them a flat rate with the new surge model. So many possibilities. I don’t doubt the evil that Uber.
they can't afford to cancel any drivers, I think the rule itself will need to be cleaned up to ensure it's applied correctly so drivers can't abuse it and Uber and Lyft can't screw drivers

we all need to see the details before we can see how it's going to affect us

TwoFiddyMile

Good catch. Perhaps they will use the argument that drivers have to drive 40 hours a week to qualify. lol

they can't afford to cancel any drivers, I think the rule itself will need to be cleaned up to ensure it's applied correctly so drivers can't abuse it and Uber and Lyft can't screw drivers

we all need to see the details before we can see how it's going to affect us
NYC Uber partners are basically full time. They get TLC plates, license and insurance. Can't do that and just diddle around, it's about a $4000 investment just to get your car TLC compliant.

Pusher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Let's review- wage increase check, tip option check, deadhead pay check, min base fare dollar raise check Death benefit check, free eye care check. Free flu shots check. Free 24/7 telemedicine check

$2.22 an hour towards self employed taxes - check

Ride share designated rest areas in city with dedicated temp parking, restroom and charging station- check that also

Driver hearings prior deactivation check and also ability to opt out of pool- check if car classifies as luxury so can do x but no pool

Regulations- began checking that box and only just getting started there. Oh driver limit capped- check

Still working on ride share company can not get double $$ then driver. and max 80/20 all fares.

Doing It smart. Took care of minimums for them PRIOR to implementing further regulations so company can't decrease wage or benefits as result of regulations being placed.

For example: The $2.50 congestion fee U/L will pay beginning Jan 1st can't be pulled out of Driver pay,

And HUGE. Things like that cong fee can NOT result in Uber lowering ANY rates to riders fares so as to get lower fares for pax off drivers backs.
Bad how again?

Smart - Got a base without sacrificing regulations and without ANY promotional bonus $$$ counting against it. Oh and notice nothing even mentioned about surge. They did it as if nobody ever got surge .

Nobody saying when to work simply saying WHEN they work they must make $26.51 gross hourly and $17.22 hourly net

When most of us log on we do so to drive not sit, isn’t it nice to see compensation for that now not just pennies? So wouldn’t you rather have the seat warm in back then cool without a pax? Most games were played because of low earnings potential.

Best of all they got it all done without driver Pro program

So now if Uber does the Pro program in NY, it's on top of everything they have and already bargaining to see pax destination address.

So Pro still has to guarantee the $26.51 hourly gross even at very lowest partner level. Now, if Platinum your 6% raise is on top of negotiated base.

And let's say Uber rolls out Pro all markets except NY Big time discrimination issue of being singled out for being organized.

You watch. It'll be NY that protests and wins the issue of some NOT all drivers elite to see trip durations

So now if Uber does the Pro program in NY, it's on top of everything they have and already bargaining to see pax destination address.

So Pro still has to guarantee the $26.51 hourly gross even at very lowest partner level. Now, if Platinum your 6% raise is on top of negotiated base.

And let's say Uber rolls out Pro all markets except NY Big time discrimination issue of being singled out for being organized.

You watch. It'll be NY that protests and wins the issue of some NOT all drivers elite to see trip durations

heynow321

True, but state where the rule specifically establishes that drivers are employees rather than just establishing a minimum wage.

Keep in mind that Seattle established a minimum wage for drivers while not establishing that drivers are employees. Granted, it's on hold while being challenged but that was what it does.
uh no they did not. the $15/hr does not apply to boober drivers.

Pusher

As far as Uber trying to get employee status that is one of the very last things they would want. They would be held to many more financial obligations then they currently are and that would hit them big time bottom line.

Pusher

They are going to treat NYC drivers as employees without changing IC status.
They already do.... do you really fall for the “partner line”? Like I said the Pro program is the real one that treats drivers like employees. Look at how the tier system is set up. How you fall below acceptance or cancelation you get dropped down and incentives like trip durations and support taken from you.. I would even say the practice of throttling back rides is in many ways treating drivers like employees.. the old time out thing for turning down rides .

They have been doing it all along.

With pro they manipulate you in many regards to accept everything thrown at you.. sure you can pick and choose still, but after the three months those are all added up. For example I went through a period on Saturday where 9 rides thrown at me all fell under 7 min destination but all had over 5-8 min pick up times... all back to back... that area I know had longer rides, always does that time of day, but in keeping up with Pro they know drivers will accept them now even knowing you will make under $6 a ride many under cancelation fee even... that is treating a partner like an employee knowing that they will force you to take them or give you a time out... that happened today after turning down a ride in downtown Chicago with trip duration of 2 min... at rush hr... was given a time out for over 20 min in the Loop... so please don’t tell me that they already don’t play the game of treating us like employees.

Last edited:

Mad Medic

They are going to treat NYC drivers as employees without changing IC status.
With Uber Pro you already are treated as an employee. Uber Pro MANDATES your cancel rate MUST be under 4%

If you want to see trip duration, better be an Uber Platinum boy or girl.

If you're used to quest BUT not acting like an employee, oops I mean Driver Pro , you best drive enough to maintain your 600 points and best not cancel more than 4 trips for every hundred completed.

Oh and be a good employee, oops meant to say Pro again, and maintain your min rating of 4.85 and best except almost any ping, including Pool express or you lose your employee, oops, Pro benifits

Work Uber when you want and where you want in order to maintain your driver profile and receive 1.5% cash back on gas with your Uber debit card.

Work a little less where, when and who and Uber may reward you by still permitting the quest you've already had prior the program. They'll even kick your cash back to 3%

Work a lot more where and when Uber wants to lead you and you may get rewarded with a 3% raise on your base fare, a little more cash back on gas.

But if you really work regularly and take everything sent your way, don't cancel, accept about every ride, you might even be rewarded so much so that you'll get 6% raise on fares, see a trip duration, which should really be visible for all drivers AND you or a family member MAY receive FREE online tuition to ASU IF you work enough to achieve 1800 points, an under 4 cancel rate, very high acceptance rate, keep your rating very high AND if, repeat IF you can maintain that criteria every quarter, you may still be eligible to keep your Pro beneifits.

So, tell the driver trying to achieve 1800 points each quarter that he doesn't have to work nights and weekends during 3 point ride hours and if less than 600 rides per month of 1 ride point hours that his kid will no longer be able to remain an ASU online student. Tell him or her they'll still receive an extra 6% of Driver payment and get the same percentage cash back on gas if for some reason couldn't drive for 10 days straight due to sickness or 10 day trip spending time with family.

Nope- that guy will say he needs to go to work flu or no flu.

Also, if you drive for surge lately, how can you truly say you are not more of an employee than that of an IC?

IF you want to get a single surge ride as a result of no surge manipulation, just fortunate enough to be in a surged area- you MUST accept and not cancel the very next ride dispatched to you in order to make $2 or $3 of a surge.

Wait !! There's no rule that says I have to take a surged ride. I could be an IC and pass on that ride and take the next one I'm wiling to drive OR I can be more of an employee and take what Uber says I must take, if of course I desire a piece of surge Uber is charging riders regardless of which driver takes them.

More of an employee than an IC already. Give New York some props for at least getting themselves a better deal.

Uber will always have a need for very part time or side hustle drivers BUT for the many others that happen to drive 35 plus hours a week every week, at least their situation improves.

Also BTW- Even the part time, 1 day per month drivers will benefit by the NY changes BECAUSE there isn't a pay per hour. Instead, base rate increases on base, time, miles have been factored into ALL fares, therefore increasing per fare compensation for everyone, compiled with data factored in so that based upon amt of rides per hour, a minimum threshold has been established to guarantee certain $$$ per hour, separate of any quest, boost, surge or consecutive trip bonuses.

Think about an IC plumber or carpenter. They can pick and choose which jobs to take or not take. They also set their own price structure. They do this for a variety of reasons such as their time is worth a certain amount, not working for free or for too little, not working for too much, otherwise won't continue to work much longer before going out of business .

But I guarantee they set their price structures fully aware of what a union plumber or union carpenter's scale pay is currently. They may be IC but guaranteed they price quote knowing scale.

Karen Stein

Ironic, isn't it? No matter how many times governmental involvement in business results in the exact opposite of the intent, some idiots persist in believing the approach will work if we but try it one more time.

The Uber model succeeds so wildly precisely because the existing taxi model failed.

Ignored in all this is the customer. Chase off the customer and you fail. Remember, customers got by just fine without Uber. They can do so again.

Mista T

Author
No matter how many times governmental involvement in business results in the exact opposite of the intent, some idiots persist in believing the approach will
It was a horrible idea when government got involved in food service and required workers to wash their hands after using the bathroom, wasn't it?

It was a dumb idea when the FDA (a government entity) insisted on childproof caps on medication, right? All that unnecessary regulation leading to extra expense.

What a stupid idea school zone speed limits are! Just another example of government sticking their noses in when they are not needed, right Karen?

New York only had 6 driver suicides last year. Just six!!! Stupid politicians!

Pusher

It was a horrible idea when government got involved in food service and required workers to wash their hands after using the bathroom, wasn't it?

It was a dumb idea when the FDA (a government entity) insisted on childproof caps on medication, right? All that unnecessary regulation leading to extra expense.

What a stupid idea school zone speed limits are! Just another example of government sticking their noses in when they are not needed, right Karen?

New York only had 6 driver suicides last year. Just six!!! Stupid politicians!
Add in Car Seat Laws for infants

Drug tests for pilots, truck drivers, train engineers, bus drivers

Hour limits for all the above as well.

RDWRER

I’ll take $17.22 per hour after expenses...

Let’s, uh... let’s... bring it here... to LA... maybe before Charlotte Surge... just saying... :rolleyes:

mbd

They passed it, for only 1 reason... 8 suicides....
8*49 states=392
I pick up low rated passengers, stinkies, fats, uglies, old urine smelling grandfather, etcetera, but I will not be sacrificing myself for anybody. Will not be part of 392.
Can this spread to other places??? Maybe Illinois, during election time

Rushmanyyz

Ugh. You guys are hopeless. The article states that state regulators are working with Uber to assess rates that are in line with a $17.22 wage.

It could be done several ways but it looks like the method of choice is more likely to be some form of fare normalization or price fixing.

We'll see what happens but I'm highly reluctant to speculate or trust a bunch of Uber drivers who have shown a profound inability to do maths :p