• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

NYC drivers fighting for minimum wage

UBERPROcolorado

Good luck -- and be sure to have a backup plan, because if you win you are out of a job.
I am not sure that Uber & Lyft can afford to pull out of the NY market. Uber is loosing ground all over the world and now the US is the largest market.

But if they are forced to pay min wage in N.Y., other states will join the party. Poor Uber...

UBERPROcolorado

I paid 20$ for 3 mile ride in Brooklyn. Gtfo here
Still cheaper than a cab.

Problem is that Uber's game plan is not sustainable. They are bleeding red ink and have since day one. They cannot afford to pay drivers properly and still keep current on their massive debt & expenses. Uber planned to do away drivers a year ago. Thus, save the cost of live drivers. That did not happen and most likely won't anytime soon.

Mars Troll Number 4

Uber drivers in NYC are required to carry commercial insurance, the $500+ a month variety.

Most uber drivers in NYC rent cars from a shop with insurance and everything packaged together, Just like the taxis are.

There's also a tax/fee tacked on every ride.

NYC rates are the highest in the country but because of Various factors i won't even use NYC in price/pay comparisons with other parts of the country.

NYC is a special case that i don't 100% understand but there are reasons for much higher rates beyond driver pay.

UBERPROcolorado

Drivers are still independent contractors and minimum wage laws do not apply.
There have been state level judges that have found drivers to be employees. However, uber quickly settled and no further action was taken on the matter.

I talked to my accountant about the subject last year and was told that the IRS is aware of the issue but has yet to weigh in on the subject. In his opinion, it will take a class action that goes to a trial before an inforcable determination is made.

I am a bit confused when it comes to the claim that drivers are making less than min wage. I use proper expensing and average a true net of $21.15 per hour. Down from $29.89 a year ago.

Reactions: njn

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am a bit confused when it comes to the claim that drivers are making less than min wage. I use proper expensing and average a true net of $21.15 per hour. Down from $29.89 a year ago.
That's because most people don't know how to really calculate their income.

There is no way to determine how much someone makes per hour, when true expenses are factored in, because no one can determine what their true expenses will be.

We can ascertain prior expenses, but not future. For example, if you are involved in an at-fault accident on Lyft, your expenses just went up $2,500. If you are not, then the expenses did not jump.

Does anyone know what their future expenses are going to be? We can make educated guesses, but nothing is for certain. For example, I paid for an oil change yesterday. I knew that was coming, and accounted for it. During the oil change, they informed me that a brake light was out. There's another $10 to replace it. Not a big deal, but that affects my net income figures. If I drove 5 hours, now the income has been reduced by $2/hour. Or perhaps I calculate on a weekly basis. Or monthly. By changing the way I account for things, it changes "how much I make" per hour. I spent $600 on tires a month ago, so is my hourly now lower, or do I just chalk it up to cost of doing business? (I know the answer, no need to reply).

The point being, most people have no idea what the "true" costs are. And even when they are explained to them, perhaps by an accountant or a very experienced businessperson, they STILL decide to calculate things "their way".

Mars Troll Number 4

Idiots.

Minimum wage isn't just a floor on your earnings; it's also the ceiling.

Careful what you wish for.
Min wage isn't $7.25-$11.00 per hour depending on the state,

It's $7.25-$11.oo an hour AFTER EXPENSES!

When your $8.00 under the $8.05 minimum wage most of the year... Min wage is a lot better...

Employee status would entitle drivers to minimum wage free and clear of deductions, namely the 54.5c per mile deduction.

So for instance you drive 20 miles per hour with an average of $2.00 per hour in tolls..

You wouldn't be getting $8.05 for minimum wage,

You would be getting closer to

$10.90+$2.00+$8.05

Or $20.95...

That's not just a heck of a lot more than I'm making... That's 10% more than the old days when we actually got paid decent...

That's what 30% more than the study that uber likes to think it's drivers make?

And that's for a state with lower min wage, in a higher min wage state...

$11.00+10.90+2.00

$23.90 for washington...

Let's say for instance you have a higher mileage day, and average 25 miles per hour in washington state.

$11+ $13.625+ $2.00

And now we are up to over $26.00 plus benefits,

If i could make $8.05 + expenses per hour I would be driving uber instead of a taxi, but instead I drive a taxi because it's not remotely close once you factor in expenses.

Minimum wage would really be $19.00-$26 or so PER HOUR depending on the state.

Last edited:

dkhoser

That's because most people don't know how to really calculate their income.

There is no way to determine how much someone makes per hour, when true expenses are factored in, because no one can determine what their true expenses will be.

We can ascertain prior expenses, but not future. For example, if you are involved in an at-fault accident on Lyft, your expenses just went up $2,500. If you are not, then the expenses did not jump.

Does anyone know what their future expenses are going to be? We can make educated guesses, but nothing is for certain. For example, I paid for an oil change yesterday. I knew that was coming, and accounted for it. During the oil change, they informed me that a brake light was out. There's another $10 to replace it. Not a big deal, but that affects my net income figures. If I drove 5 hours, now the income has been reduced by $2/hour. Or perhaps I calculate on a weekly basis. Or monthly. By changing the way I account for things, it changes "how much I make" per hour. I spent $600 on tires a month ago, so is my hourly now lower, or do I just chalk it up to cost of doing business? (I know the answer, no need to reply).

The point being, most people have no idea what the "true" costs are. And even when they are explained to them, perhaps by an accountant or a very experienced businessperson, they STILL decide to calculate things "their way".
location location location if you live or moved to a great location where you can get pings from your house & its trivial to screen now you can make money the other 96% not so much, I lesiurely watch the roaches circle & park round me accepting the scraps thats more idling & risk meaning less profit for them, they don't last long lol...

1 ticket basically worked a week or month for free & extra $20+ a month on insurance

1 accident major repair worked a month or all year free

none of thats anecdotal
the world literally needs MIT to figure out 1971 minimum fares in 2018 are less than minimum wage and no one cared should be the main concern

every ride i take its $8 round trip gas round up $2 for others thats $10 a trip on a $50-$75 pay out for an hour and ten minutes

every other ride is $4 an hour no thanks i have no idea why these people get picked up or use newer cars but oh well a fool & their money

DM7JvlwXkAAiWQF(2).jpg

Last edited:

Mars Troll Number 4

location location location if you live or moved to a great location where you can get pings from your house & its trivial to screen now you can make money the other 96% not so much

1 ticket basically worked a week or month for free & extra $20+ a month on insurance

1 accident major repair worked a month or all year free

none of thats anecdotal
the world literally needs MIT to figure out 1971 minimum fares in 2018 are less than minimum wage and no one cared should be the main concern

every ride i take its $8 round trip tax round up $2 for others thats $10 a trip on a $50-$75 pay out for an hour and ten minutes

every other ride is $4 an hour no thanks i have no idea why these people get picked up or use newer cars but oh well a fool & their money
tickets are easy to avoid. I have gotten 1 ticket since getting my license, and I fought it and won, it was a mis-calibrated red light camera.

Everything else I agree with 110%

Location really does mean more than everything else thou,

Uber $*%s on it's drivers in some locations much worse than others.

If we were still getting 2014 rates in Orlando I could make the math work. There's more than enough customers...

As it stands i can make the math work with a rental taxi but not with uber...

That's not location screwing stuff up... That's the pricing model. Nothing else to say.

njn

I didn't know min wage was currently so low in NYC.

"Their employers can satisfy the minimum wage by combining a cash wage of at least $8.65 with a tip allowance of no more than $4.35 per hour. Minimum Wage for Tipped Workers.
December 31, 2017 through December 30, 2018.
New York City."

reg barclay

Uber drivers in NYC are required to carry commercial insurance, the $500+ a month variety.

Most uber drivers in NYC rent cars from a shop with insurance and everything packaged together, Just like the taxis are.

There's also a tax/fee tacked on every ride.

NYC rates are the highest in the country but because of Various factors i won't even use NYC in price/pay comparisons with other parts of the country.

NYC is a special case that i don't 100% understand but there are reasons for much higher rates beyond driver pay.
Exactly, unlike in most of the US, rideshare companies and their drivers in NYC are required to conform to the local taxi laws. This means that they have extra licensing and commercial insurance costs. This makes it a completely different ball game to the one most of US drivers are involved in.

Rates are higher in NYC than most other parts of the USA (presumably to account for the above). In the rest of NY State ridesharing is not governed by taxi laws, and rates are similar to other parts of the US.

Last edited:

br1anf

Drivers are still independent contractors and minimum wage laws do not apply.
If you find yourself in the position of ”fighting for" minimum wage, or 15 bux per hour for that matter, things have gone terribly wrong. I feel for you and wish things could be different but they just can't be.

Reactions: njn