Number plate recognition

BlackNight

NPR-Number plate recognition. Automated that is to say, with cameras, computers and database back-end I imagine. Two new government vehicles (more to follow) are on the road and able to process at least 500 number plates per hour. Amongst other things they will target breaches of short stay parking to help businesses. That is to say we now have to look out for more than brown bombers and the clock when waiting in a 5 minute zone for a ride.

A passing vehicle can now scan your number plate, determine that you have overstayed and issue a fine to your mailbox.

Welcome to the brave new world.

Jack Malarkey

Many thanks, BlackNight.

See also https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...-plate-recognition-trial-20170228-gumzvx.html.

It looks as if the initial trial period is now over and that drivers can now in practice (or soon will) be fined for parking offences detected this way.

This will have significant implications for UberEats pickups in the city centre. At present, many drivers typically park in the loading zones in lanes (such as Tocumwal Lane off Bunda Street). In fact, the restaurants’ instructions on the app often recommend this; loading zones provide the only available parking in those lanes.

Generally, loading zones are available only to vehicles with commercial registration. Unlike elsewhere in Australia, rideshare cars in the ACT typically have only private registration as contemplated by the ACT’s regulatory system for rideshare.

Don’t be misled by the concession in the ACT for rideshare drivers stopping in loading zones. This concession applies only for dropping off and picking up passengers (not hamburgers or other food). Moreover, there is a time limit of two minutes and the driver can’t ever be more than three metres from the car.

So this rideshare exemption is not legally available for UberEATS collections and deliveries.

The technology referred to by BlackNight would allow the parking enforcement people to sweep the lanes and immediately detect cars without commercial registration parked in loading zones. The first the driver would know about it might be when a fine arrives by post.

Don’t be surprised if nearby businesses unable to use loading zones because they are taken by UberEATS cars request the authorities to enforce the parking rules in the lanes.

All of this suggests that UberEATS drivers would be better off parking in the London Circuit carparks, paying a small parking fee, and briskly walking to the restaurants in Bunda Street or the city bus station.

Parking for 15 minutes costs about 50 cents. You could claim the GST input tax credit for this and claim an income tax deduction for the balance.

Note that parking in most of the London Circuit carparks needs to be paid for from 8.30 am to 10.30 pm seven days a week (public holidays excepted).

I’ll be using those carparks instead of the loading zones in the lanes myself from now on.

(Edit made on 5 November 2017: please see this thread about permits available for a fee to park in loading zones when loading or unloading goods: https://uberpeople.net/threads/uber...king-in-loading-zone-in-tocumwal-lane.215510/)

Last edited:

Kah Chere

I wish I had number plate recognition. Every time I am asked for my number plate details I have to go out and check. I feel safer now.
As with the mother in the show 'Mother and son' who asked the butcher,
"Do you know who I am?"
"Yes" replies the butcher.
"Can you tell me where I live,"she implores.

Jack Malarkey

I received the following advice from Access Canberra today in a newsletter emailed to me:

A4399036-5AE4-4680-A4CD-2893EEEA69A1.png

(https://www.act.gov.au/our-canberra/latest-news/2017/november-2017/parking-patrols-go-high-tech)

Who is John Galt?

Interesting........
I'm inclined to see things differently here, and I admit I have done no research, nor have I conducted any investigation.
Nonetheless, I am wondering if it is an offence to have a number plate obscured, either partially or fully whilst it is parked.
I know it is not allowed while travelling along the road, but parked?

If a piece of cardboard or similar was jammed under the 'dealer frame' around the number plate to quickly obscure at least one character of the registration, I cannot imagine that those 'macca's munchers' are going to leave their comfy air conditioned cruiser to take a closer look.

I would suggest that it is low hanging fruit only, that they may be interested in. I expect that the sweeps through the city would be focused on quantity rather than quality of number plates photographed. Obscuring or changing the number plate details, once again raises thoughts and opportunities to think of that ol' James Bond classic 'Goldfinger' and by extension, offers another excuse to be cornered by Ms Püssy Galore. Now, if there was any chance of being caught out by her........any chance at all.....

Honor Blackman with gun resized.jpg

Oh, and of course, to make this post even half relevant - 007's revolving number plates:

Bond revolving number plates.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Malarkey

See https://the-riotact.com/hi-tech-grey-ghosts-to-haunt-parking-offenders/225330.

Points made in this article include:

(1) The cameras will target those who have overstayed the time limit, parked unlawfully (including double parking) or dangerously parked.

(2) The cameras will be used only for on-street parking. Off-street parking areas will continue to be patrolled only by inspectors on foot.

(3) Areas of focus include parking around schools and around businesses in town centres.

(4) Access Canberra is now issuing fines based on the cameras.

(5) Camera-based fines will be posted while those issued by inspectors on foot will continue to be placed in an envelope on the windscreen.

(6) The cameras can inspect 30 kilometres of roadside parking per hour compared with one to two kilometres per hour by inspectors on foot.