Uber Drivers Forum banner
18K views 315 replies 53 participants last post by  RamzFanz 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Everyone thinks sci fi as how many movies 20-30 years ago anticipated flying cars,full vr lives,clothes that never get dirty just somethings. From what ive seen in 20-30 years not much has changed. Onpy thing that has changed is got lazzier. Infostructure looks shittier then ever in alot of places. More people liveing on poverity line. Violence has gone up. Only big thing that has changed is how we see things on tv and in our hands. Self driveing vehicals will not over rule. This scenerio of makeing "peaople illegal to drive" wont happen as in cities they should make it illegal for you to ride your bike as i think thats even more dangrous.
Ive put my 2 cents into this so much as more and more humans cramed into this planet with baseic needs getting harder to get more crimes and violance will happen as we getting close to tipping point i think tipping point could happen as soon as who ever becomes President.

#6 ·
I remember growing up watching movies and how "the future" was depicted as either this clean and technologically advanced society or some war torn city in shambles where everyone was scraping to survive. That's the difference between a society that puts the greater good ahead of greed versus the one that tries to keep the have and the have nots separated.

#7 ·
About seventy years ago, Americans freaked out because of Sputnik. Kennedy called for us to put a man on the moon. A lot of people thought he was crazy. Some people got to work on it. Twelve years later, there were men on the moon. There were people at that time which thought there would NEVER be someone standing and walking on the moon. It happened just over a decade later.

#8 · (Edited)
He's just a typical bureaucrat commenting on something he doesn't understand. You can tell by him not understanding machine learning and then presenting the trolley problem, which is nonsense.

Here, I have a trolley problem for him:

You're driving along a coastal highway when you spot a man drowning in the ocean. If you stop to rescue him, your passenger, a doctor delivering a vial of cancer-fighting serum to a nearby hospital, will be delayed in treating a dying patient who has dedicated his life to helping the poor. To make matters worse, the man in the ocean is shouting, "I know a way to bring lasting peace to the Middle East, and I'm the only one with this information!" Meanwhile, your passenger is using the onboard computer to look up "best local seafood," which doesn't affect your dilemma one way or the other, but is nonetheless annoying.

The feds probably won't have a dog in this fight anyways, it's probably going to be state by state, UNLESS some of the largest companies in the world get their way and get legislation passed legalizing SDCs nationwide. The NTSB doesn't have regulatory powers.

Some areas will likely require humans where others won't. It will quickly show us how bad human drivers are when they take over.

It's sad that the head of the NTSB doesn't understand that airplane pilots are way way more dangerous than autopilot and when they override autopilot, it's more likely to be the wrong decision. I have never heard of a properly installed and operated autopilot causing an accident. And anyways, there is no comparison, most plane autopilot tech is ancient. You do not need perfection or even 1 in a billion, you just need to be significantly better than humans, and that's a low bar.

#209 ·
You're driving along a coastal highway when you spot a man drowning in the ocean. If you stop to rescue him, your passenger, a doctor delivering a vial of cancer-fighting serum to a nearby hospital, will be delayed in treating a dying patient who has dedicated his life to helping the poor. To make matters worse, the man in the ocean is shouting, "I know a way to bring lasting peace to the Middle East, and I'm the only one with this information!"
That's an easy one.
1) Stop the car, get out, and tell the doc to drive himself to the hospital.
2) Save the drowning peace maker.
3) Accept Nobel prize.

#12 ·
Today i just got remided about public transportation how much it sucks. Me and me gf were only going 100 miles away as car is getting fixed in the shop. We took 1 bus and 2 trains and took 7 hours with spending $65 plus snacks and drink for extra $10 waiting in boston. Normaly would cost me maybe $10 of fuel and an hour and a half! Also had screaming baby and aome high dude who dropped his water and got all over my bag. Wow humans really dont want control and be miserable all the time. Oh yea my girl was in middle of painful period grabbing me crying when r we gonna be home.

#15 ·
you just need to be significantly better than humans, and that's a low bar.
No, YOU need them to meet that low bar. Here's a shocker: A lot of people are going to demand they be a LOT safer than humans.

In any case, yes, they are eventually coming. Several people will die in an accident that probably would not have happened with human drivers. And so, despite whatever the numbers are, people are going to freak the f*** out and demand federal safety standards that you believe are unnecessary.

#37 ·
No, YOU need them to meet that low bar. Here's a shocker: A lot of people are going to demand they be a LOT safer than humans.
People won't get to "demand" anything. It will mostly be between the car owners, the manufacturer, and the courts, just as it is now. I'm confused as to why people think suddenly the way the world runs has to change.

Of course the NTSB guy is right. He's had decades of experience in this regard.
He has none in this regard.

Which lanes? Fully autonomous car and human driver on the same road is never possible.What will happen if self driving car want to change lane or want to take exit from freeway and human driver never give it a chance.What will happen if self driving car tire is flat on the freeway? Why we don't have driverless train yet?
SDCs are already on the road in the Netherlands in traffic. They absolutely will be driving on the same roads as humans and have for millions of miles already.

What happens if they want to exit? They slow, speed up, or miss their exit, same as you.

A flat? What would you do?

Trains? Because there is no economic motivation. The savings would be negligible, unlike in cars.

Ain't no fully autonomous robot cars.
Yes, there are, on the road already.

Wishful thinking. Who is going to pay for the thousands of miles of SDC dedicated lanes ? Companies , States or the Fed ? Existing motorways need maintenance too at the same time. It is unrealistic to expect taxpayers' money to be spent on corporate ambitions. Large area of the country is still lacking proper broadband infrastructure due to lack of funding.
Why would they need new lanes? We already have lanes.

I don't see self driving cars becoming common in our driving life time. There are just to many obstacles to overcome. Maybe 50 - 100 years from now SDC's will be common but there will still be cars driven by people also.
There are very few obstacles left to overcome. The effort to get them on the road is in the end game. By the way, they are already on the road in some places so it's too late for predictions.

Good luck getting autonomous robot cars licensed.
Most states don't have laws against them so no luck needed.

We've already covered how airplanes aren't even close to being fully autonomous so let's not start that again.
Pilots for one of the newest planes, the Dreamliner, only fly six minutes per flight on average and that's not even needed. So yes, they are nearly fully autonomous and could be fully if we so choose.

What happens if your self driving car messes up and gets a ticket for running a red light. Who pays. The company that made the software or the owner of the car? It seems that cities would not be able to charge the car owners for infractions they had no control over. The cities will suffer from huge revenue losses from not being able to charge anyone and thousands of traffic police will become non-essential.
Who cares who pays or if traffic cops become non-essential. That's a good thing.

#16 ·
I knew RamFanz would get his pants in a bunch over this article. He's terrified he's wrong about the future, and he is.

Of course the NTSB guy is right. He's had decades of experience in this regard. And it's common sense as a previous poster said.

And to the person who mentioned the moon landing: remember that Neil Armstrong had to take manual control of the lander module during final descent to avoid a huge boulder field that the computer would have otherwise tried to land in ;) Just sayin' ;)

#36 ·
Of course the NTSB guy is right. He's had decades of experience in this regard. And it's common sense as a previous poster said.
Actually, he's a pilot and lawyer. He's obviously a very smart guy, but he's not speaking into his area of expertise.

Also, if multi-billion $$$ companies want something to happen, it will. They'll just buy different politicians.

#17 ·
they will have their own lanes
Which lanes? Fully autonomous car and human driver on the same road is never possible.What will happen if self driving car want to change lane or want to take exit from freeway and human driver never give it a chance.What will happen if self driving car tire is flat on the freeway? Why we don't have driverless train yet?

#18 ·
They already have it happening with tesla. They will bring autonimous cars with human drivers make us be the crash dummies with system that was also built by humans. The NTSB is a small powerful group anything u see with roads sidewalks lights have all been authorized by them. Each state has their own set of rules. I would like to see self driveing vehicals get there own lanes instead of being the next evolutionary thing. Once we take away driveing lets take away tobacco,guns,knives,and bikes in cities. Seriously cars and bikes in boston the got the danm bike lane in middle of street between people opening up car doors to people driveing

#20 ·
Wishful thinking. Who is going to pay for the thousands of miles of SDC dedicated lanes ? Companies , States or the Fed ? Existing motorways need maintenance too at the same time. It is unrealistic to expect taxpayers' money to be spent on corporate ambitions. Large area of the country is still lacking proper broadband infrastructure due to lack of funding.

#25 ·
Gives me a great idea: Why isn't Uber pursuing autonomous flying cars? I'm sure that's right around the corner. And next year I'm sure we'll be taking autonomous spaceships to the moon and back for $6 each way. We're no more than 2-3 years away from hiring an autonomous ride to Mars I'm sure.

Here's a few billion dollars Uber, I'm sure you'll make it happen.

#26 ·
Gives me a great idea: Why isn't Uber pursuing autonomous flying cars? I'm sure that's right around the corner. And next year I'm sure we'll be taking autonomous spaceships to the moon and back for $6 each way. We're no more than 2-3 years away from hiring an autonomous ride to Mars I'm sure.
That's how much the Uber pilots would make. Of course the pilots would also have to provide the million dollar space suits so you can survive on the Moon or Mars.

#28 ·
There will be no pilots silly.

Another great thing about autonomous spaceships is it would completely solve the parking problem. Say you're sitting at home stoned out of your mind. You want a bean and cheese burrito with extra sour cream. So you use the Uber Eats app. A driverless spaceship comes down from the heavens, flies by Del Taco, picks up a burrito, drops it off at your place, and then parks itself in orbit! So easy!

Surely no more than 5 years away.

#29 ·
There will be no pilots silly.
Geez... What was I thinkin?

Say you're sitting at home stoned out of your mind. You want a bean and cheese burrito with extra sour cream. So you use the Uber Eats app. A driverless spaceship comes down from the heavens, flies by Del Taco, picks up a burrito, drops it off at your place, and then parks itself in orbit! So easy!
Better yet. Have the space ship go through the drive thru on the way to the Moon...

#32 ·
Drones and flying autonomous cars are probably an easier problem than figuring out how to mix robot cars with human drivers occupying the same roads. I'll bet we see the drones first. I know a guy who is currently building the control software. They will be testing the system soon with a scale model city in an airplane hangar.

#33 ·
Lots of people said flying cars were a pipe dream too.

The flying car is possible. The average person being licensed to fly the thing is impossible. We've already covered how airplanes aren't even close to being fully autonomous so let's not start that again. With all of this imaginary utopia the big thing that holds us back every time is the human factor.

#34 ·
What happens if your self driving car messes up and gets a ticket for running a red light. Who pays. The company that made the software or the owner of the car? It seems that cities would not be able to charge the car owners for infractions they had no control over. The cities will suffer from huge revenue losses from not being able to charge anyone and thousands of traffic police will become non-essential.

#40 ·
Every human driver has to figure out how to negotiate LAX without an internal map and being able to make trillions of observations and decisions a second. With SDCs only one does and they do have internal maps and can make trillions of observations and decisions a second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.