NSW Transport to increase greenslip fees for Uber based on mileage

THC1138X

I read on ABC, the drivers will now have to pay incremental greenslip fees based on the miles that Uber report to them - as if life isn't tough enough. It means a fulltime Uber driver could be looking at many thousands of dollars a year!

Sameshiftdiffday

I read on ABC, the drivers will now have to pay incremental greenslip fees based on the miles that Uber report to them - as if life isn't tough enough. It means a fulltime Uber driver could be looking at many thousands of dollars a year!
True - it is the cost of running your own business though ....

THC1138X

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, only time will tell. I don't have many options. At least it should be tax deductible. Way it is going, I will make less than the minimum tax payable anyway, with all the deductions. ling as I can pay my bills

Uber_Syd8

What was reported was that there will be a base fee of $800 that everyone pays
then depending on how much you extra you drive, you pay additional premiums on a tiered basis.
More mileage, more premium

Icecool

I would t worry about just yet and started to jump the gun . There no ways uber driver is going pay as much as the taxi . Maybe the government should also review weather we can use the bus lane , allow uber driver for hailing services and use the taxi zone !

Last edited:

Sameshiftdiffday

I worry about just yet and started to jump the gun . There no ways uber driver is going pay as much as the taxi . Maybe the government should also review weather we can use the bus lane , allow uber driver for hailing services and use the taxi zone !
Why are you so fixated about using the bus lane ??? Were you a bus in a previous life ?

Icecool

Why are you so fixated about using the bus lane ??? Were you a bus in a previous life ?
well If you drive in the cbd there are too many bus lane right in the middle of the road and some road are strictly for buses and taxis . It make ubering alot harder especially during peak hours

Avago

well If you drive in the cbd there are too many bus lane right in the middle of the road and some road are strictly for buses and taxis . It make ubering alot harder especially during peak hours
Maybe just get a taxi plate and away you go....

Icecool

I don't understand.
1. For bus lanes and taxi zones/ranks.
Taxis are clearly identifiable. Cars that may or may not be Ubers are not clearly identifiable. How would you expect the govt to discriminate between the two?
How would you feel if you saw a car driving in a bus lane?
If the govt used the number plates to identify Ubers then anyone could register and start using the bus lanes and taxi ranks.
2. For hailing services.
Taxis are clearly identifiable unlike Ubers.
Pax can hail a taxi by sight.
How would a pax hail an Uber?
I would not be getting into a car of a driver who claims to be Uber.
What are your implementation proposals to the govt or Uber to allow and progress your recommendations and solving the above issues ?
Uber is technology company that shouldn't be a problem . All uber driver will be fitted with an led sign with the uber logo on the front and the back if they are working can be removed if not working . To check if the uber car you going into is a legitimate uber car . You can type the rego number in your pax app and the detail of the person like name and picture should come up and you then make a book on the you app with one button and way you go . All uber driver will be issue with distinctive number with a u in the fronts like hc for hire car . Something like that I sure uber will come up something better .

Avago

That plate cost 300k
Ok then, if $300k or whatever they're worth now is not to your liking, then any motor scooter or motor bike will have access to all NSW Bus Lanes, but just remember, they don't have access to Bus Only Lanes.

TP insurance on a km driven ( with pax) is actually something that I'd agree with..
User pays, part of a fairer model for distributing costs.
High volume uber driver pays more the occasional driver... Seems fair to me, but as always, the devil is in the detail.

Aquarius

Here is a link that talks about various reforms that were in the Bill passed a couple of weeks ago. Includes information about CTP changes. Not clear to me when all of this takes effect e.g. they're going to set up a new regulator - that takes time.

This site won't let me post a link for some reason but you can find out more by going to transport.nsw.gov.au/pointtopoint/industry.

WollyDriver

I don't understand.
1. For bus lanes and taxi zones/ranks.
Taxis are clearly identifiable. Cars that may or may not be Ubers are not clearly identifiable. How would you expect the govt to discriminate between the two?
How would you feel if you saw a car driving in a bus lane?
If the govt used the number plates to identify Ubers then anyone could register and start using the bus lanes and taxi ranks.
2. For hailing services.
Taxis are clearly identifiable unlike Ubers.
Pax can hail a taxi by sight.
How would a pax hail an Uber?
I would not be getting into a car of a driver who claims to be Uber.
What are your implementation proposals to the govt or Uber to allow and progress your recommendations and solving the above issues ?
Hire cars have (and are) permitted to use a bus lane, they are not hailed though (same as uber). However, the government decided to scrap HC plates, so what does that mean? A new Hire car can or can not use a bus lane? How does one define a hire car? Wil HC plates suddenly increase in value as uber drivers start wanting to buy them?
Will the government start producing RS (Ride Sharing) plates, and all uber drivers (when you update your rego) will be issues with these RS plates?

I think that we are moving away from this style of government, just like we don't need rego stickers to see if you have paid your rego, then you don't need special plates to see if you are allowed in a bus lane (the cameras will just look up your normal plate and find out your status).

In time, maybe you will only be permitted in the bus lane if you are currently logged in, and there will be some solid data sharing between uber/RMS/etc...

adub

TP on a per km rate is perfectly fair. No problem with that at all so long as the rate is reasonable.