Notice about rider destinations

REX HAVOC

Has anyone received one of these nasty grams from Uncle Uber. I got this today and it's the first time for me. I guess they are going to start to deactivating drivers for refusing rides. I had thought that it was illegal for them to deactivate us for this. So if some clown wants to go to Santa Cruz from SFO I have to take them or else?

Hi (My Name),

We’ve received multiple complaints from riders claiming they have either been cancelled on or asked to cancel their trip request due to their end destination. We understand that every story has two sides and are issuing this to remind you about the law.

California state regulations (listed below) require that rideshare drivers do not refuse or cancel trips based on the rider's destination. This law is designed to ensure equal accessibility for all riders, no matter where they live.

"...TNCs shall ensure that...drivers do not discriminate against passengers or potential passengers on the basis of geographic endpoints of the ride, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, or sexual orientation/identity." D.13-09-045.

We know some cancellations cannot be avoided, and that’s okay. However, continued reports from riders about cancellations based on destination will result in deactivation of your account.

Thank you for helping riders travel safely throughout the Bay Area.

- The Uber Bay Area Team

JoeSF

IMG_7538.jpg
I have not never canceled any ride based on destination.

emmhope

You don't have to drive to Santa Cruz , read it one more time and yes they can deactivate you for this .

the city would love nothing more than to see Uber deactivate us for Destination cancellations but
as we all know Uber is so dysfunctional when it comes to things that don't involve screwing us out of money lol

REX HAVOC

Have you been cancelling when the pax is in the car?
I had once about a month ago. The guy got in my car and i asked him where he was going and he said Berkeley. I was in SF and I didn't want to cross the bridge. He got argumentative but he finally got out. As he was getting out he told me he had friends on Ubers board and I'd be hearing from them. I also had a guy ping me two weeks ago and then ask me when I picked him up if I'd be willing to go to Napa from SF and I declined and cancelled, but I doubt it was him.

Philbert

I've gotten two of these, the last a few months ago being my final warning before deactivation. First letter was worded exactly the same as yours, they just make it seem like it was hand typed to appear more serious. I still cancel/end rides quite often. Pull up with doors locked, start ride before they get in. if it's somewhere you don't like roll down window and say "I'm sorry mam, my wife just texted its an emergency I gotta go!" If they are already in the car and you start then just say you gotta pick up your little girl from hospital in a little bit. You want them feeling sorry for you, and be polite as possible.

Sometimes I call, ask where they are going and then just cancel after saying I'll be right there. Also can ask with window down, it's tricky to do it without sounding demanding/condescending. It can lead to them trying to deactivate you if you refuse Ride.

Also, I think these letters are BS and they just send them out as backup in case they get sued. More of a "see your honor, we even send these notices to thousands of drivers about descrimination!"

BenDrivin

Yes, I got this notice today as well. They are using the rule in a Twisted way, it is meant to keep you from discriminating against riders that live in an undesirable area.
If I don't want to waste my gas, and tear up my car, deadheading 50 or 60 miles back from some random location or drive there in the first place at base rate then this is a gray area.
I always seem to get these ride request at midnight, meaning I would drive an hour or an hour and a half to their location and then another hour or an hour and a half back. Basically for half of whatever the rate is because you're doubling your miles. Cause nobody is going to SF from Oakley at 1:30 am.

Last edited:

Hagong

Just got one as well. And I've never canceled after the pax was already in the car or after hitting start trip

Dhr94080

First of all, I think we all forget that we do not work for Uber/Lyft!! These two kissing cousins made it perfectly clear that we the drivers are CONTRACTED..... Not employed!!! This means folks that its YOUR descretion on weather you want to pickup someone or not. These companies can not force you or threaten you with any action for refusing to service one of their customers. Your contracted! It's your car, not theirs. It's your fuel, not theirs! It's your expense, not theirs! I was contracted with a shuttle company some years back and was terminated for not showing up to work more then 4 days a week. So, I filed for unemployment which I was told that I couldn't because I was contracted. However, when they asked me why I left (quit) I said I was fired! That changed everything and after an investigation by unemployment they found that the company was liable to pay unemployment benefits and deemed me to be an employee because the company BY LAW does not have a right to force me to except or force me to pickup customers or be available for any hours! Cold hard truth here is that we are our own bosses folks! It's HIGHLY illegal for Uber/Lyft to deem its drivers as contractors but behind closed doors treat, and threaten us with termination of employment as if we were employees! If they do terminate you because of this, make sure you stop in at your local unemployment office to submit a claim!

UberAnt39

A lot more drivers must be learning to do this, and it's got Uber shting themselves. This could be the one where they finally overstep themselves and the IRS uses it to declare the drivers to be employees.

Uberantman

All the more reason to add destination filters, so we can legally discriminate against pickups going too far away from our preferred location.

Strange Fruit

Just got one as well. And I've never canceled after the pax was already in the car or after hitting start trip
That's the only way I've ever done itx accept a few times when I saw luggage and asked. I've never received these. I must be really lucky. I'm not that likeable either. Are we supposed to not work anymore if we have to be somewhere in 2.5 hrs, just in case someone wants to go to San Jose at rush hour? Our lives matter less than this mild discrimination? I'm not usually pro Free Market, but can't these people just pay to go somehwere if they want to go somewhere? Instead of feeling discriminated against cuz they didn't want to pay enuff to get someone to drive?
All the more reason to add destination filters, so we can legally discriminate against pickups going too far away from our preferred location.
Lol, DF is systemized destination discrimination. What's the difference if an app does it or a person does it? Just get another car people. Call yr driver to see if they're willing to drive and save yrself some time. These middle classers trying to pretend like the ruling class with their excessive expectations of service are getting really shitty. We should really just burn their shit down and tell them no more imperious behavior or civilization will be no more. Pissing in their soup is not good enuff anymore.

Oh crap, I'm like a step away from joining Isis. They made me this way.

Philbert

I think they are randomly sending these to people as scare tactic, to basically force you to do unprofitable rides. I kick people out all the time and haven't even recieved my 3rd and final letter. I have yet to see anyone that has on these forums. It's hot air.

Strange Fruit

I think they are randomly sending these to people as scare tactic, to basically force you to do unprofitable rides. I kick people out all the time and haven't even recieved my 3rd and final letter. I have yet to see anyone that has on these forums. It's hot air.
I don't "all the time" but I rarely leave the city, and only with a 1.7X and up. For like 2 years now. I have never received one. And nearly all were start trip, then cancel, cuz I don't feel like asking every person where they're going. So maybe you've just been lucky like me. I don't even get 1 starred on the weeks where I could check like when I only have 1or2 non5s and so can do the math (and I have had some angry people on these weeks with no 1s, nor any reports.

Apparently u can be lucky. In which case yr experience doesn't really prove anything. Or there is an extra variable that isn't being mentioned. U that have received the warnings: how exactly do u execute the cancel?

BenDrivin

MK, super disturbing I had my destination filter set to arrive at Embarcadero and Brannan at 2:45 this afternoon because I have an appointment there at 3. I got an airport run at about 1:30, okay they might have a plan to get me back here I'll go with it dropped off at the airport and got a ping right away for a couple Doors Down I tried to ask the people where they're going they started getting in my car I asked him again dumbly I swiped and it said Sunnyvale, I stupidly assumed that we'd be going to SF???? I explain to them that I had an appointment in San Francisco and could not make it at 3 if I drop them off in Sunnyvale. Cancelled the ride,waiting for the response from Uber. This seems like a set up!

Sacto Burbs

MK, super disturbing I had my destination filter set to arrive at Embarcadero and Brannan at 2:45 this afternoon because I have an appointment there at 3. I got an airport run at about 1:30, okay they might have a plan to get me back here I'll go with it dropped off at the airport and got a ping right away for a couple Doors Down I tried to ask the people where they're going they started getting in my car I asked him again dumbly I swiped and it said Sunnyvale, I stupidly assumed that we'd be going to SF???? I explain to them that I had an appointment in San Francisco and could not make it at 3 if I drop them off in Sunnyvale. Cancelled the ride,waiting for the response from Uber. This seems like a set up!
If you were using the timer feature they expect you to deadhead back from your last ride

lazlo

Definitely a scare tactic. When uber keeps f'in with ya it's easy to think its not random but you're probably right. I rarely cancel after learning destination, the last time was in July. So I know it's BS. Chirped at support, blablabla unspecified complaint blablabla. . I pointed out Ubers own data could easily disprove the complaint. They promised to forward this "info" to their investigation team, I shook my head and hung up

Last edited:

Philbert

Think about it: when did these mass emails suddenly occur? Right after they got rid of our DF's. Driver cancelations probably spiked through the roof so they decided to toss some emails out to random drivers, can't send it to everyone as they would be on to that. I'll believe it once I get deactivated, which would probably be in my best interest...