• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Not the best trip, but great ride

Halfmybrain

Yesterday morning on my way to a pickup, I get a call: Heads up, you'll be picking up my mother and my son. Not a long trip, two stops.

Okay, first stop was the son's school. Second was some residence. At the school we had more than a 5 minute delay but I didn't mind, I was kind of looking out for the boy. Staff was there but it was too early for students. The maybe 10 year old boy was not particularly dressed for a wait in the cold, and whined a bit that he was going to have to wait....until his gramma marched toward the office to make him an exception, and a girl student got there early and was about to wait. Then he was all tough guy, "Nooooo just let me wait."

The ride to the school was PRICELESS for me. I had grown tired of whatever music I was listening to, so I switched out my CD. The kid lugged an instrument: A trombone. I told him what I had playing was Earth, Wind & Fire. I told him they, along with Chicago and Tower of Power, were just about the only famous bands with horn sections--back in the Seventies and Eighties. "Are they all dead?" LOL. "No...in fact Chicago and Earth Wind & Fire sometimes still play together, and play on each others' songs." He had a quiet demeanor. I had to turn the music all the way down to hear him at all. I hope he got a little bit of a kick from this driver playing "old school" music featuring his instrument. And yes he was familiar with "September." I remember being his age and sometimes treated as if invisible.

kah5683

Brought a prospective college student to a college for a trombone jazz audition the other day with her parents. I mentioned the group Chicago and their horns, which she wan't familiar with. I had the Chicago song 25 or 6 to 4 on my iphone and played it for her with the brass section...first time she heard.

You mentioned a couple bands...don't forget Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Halfmybrain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...don't forget Blood, Sweat and Tears.
Good catch! I only knew a few radio hits and didn't think of them.

I had the Chicago song 25 or 6 to 4
Fantastic arguably signature piece. Wish the lyrics weren't so enigmatic...not the only take, but one plain take has it about drugs. What is it with their number songs? "Questions 67 & 68" could just be about romance in those years, but I admit, I "make" it about the next number based on pretty generous interpretation of a few lines. "Dialogue" is one of my favorites, although it has a cynical edge, there's still two people talking, which is more than we (I) allow sometimes.

Wish I could remember the quote but someone, perhaps from the band, said that they did something no one had done before--brought the horn section right into the song....not just accents and flourishes, but into the foreground so that people singing along would "sing" the horn parts.

thepeach

The young guy will always remember what you shared with him. A month or so ago, one of my passengers challenged me to play the music style I enjoy in my car. I was able to locate a Chicago CD at a discount store. I will play it when I have a passenger or a car load of fun pax who would enjoy it.

Halfmybrain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The young guy will always remember what you shared with him. A month or so ago, one of my passengers challenged me to play the music style I enjoy in my car. I was able to locate a Chicago CD at a discount store. I will play it when I have a passenger or a car load of fun pax who would enjoy it.
I didn't play music for my first 6 months. I picked up a rider who turned out to be a Lyft recruiter. He challenged me to play music I like, though it's chiefly either classic rock or progressive rock like Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard. He said I'd be surprised that people enjoy hearing what the driver likes. I've had a handful of people make note of the music, including two in one night which was my best night ever--excellent conversations and attitudes. A few weeks back a millenial chattered on her phone the entire ride, while I had a Best Of Chicago playing. She was "like, omg, this is my favorite album ever...my dad plays this all the time." She even sang along with "Saturday in the Park" (still on the phone). She's one of the few people I waited for almost up to cancelation (I often drive away loooong before that).

I find it enables me to be my usual introvert self, while others are "introverting" in the back seat with their phones. It also keeps me occupied mentally when people are in conversations that don't include me.

cumonohito

When I started driving, I basically played "vanilla" stations, soft/light rock, just to appease the riders and not offend anyone. Over time I noticed that most riders have their own headphones and listen to their own music. The ones that don't, do not mind what music is in the background. I decided to then stream my own music.

I enjoy alternative, punk rock. Favorite groups are Front 242, Ministry, NIN, Revco, Front Line Assembly, Cure, Depeche Mode. Most of my influence came from Wax Track records and never changed. Over the years, I loaded most of my CD collection into a hard drive and now I use Google music to stream my music. I always have my phone sync up to the car to listen to my music through it. I've gotten a few compliments from other riders, but at the same time I have to be careful because there are certain songs that tend to be a bit hard regarding language.