• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Not knowing destinations in advance is costing drivers BILLIONS OF DOLLARS per year in lost revenue

Nats121

Blindly accepting trip requests without knowing the destinations costs drivers BILLIONS of dollars in lost revenue
every year.

By hiding destinations from the drivers, Uber and Lyft rake in BILLIONS of dollars in extra revenue every year by keeping driver pay rates ARTIFICIALLY LOW.

Knowing destinations in advance and NOT being penalized in any way whatsoever would result in much HIGHER driver pay, which is why both companies have always been strongly opposed to it.

Drivers knowing destinations in advance would a GAME CHANGER.

CTK

Blindly accepting trip requests without knowing the destinations costs drivers BILLIONS of dollars in lost revenue
every year.

By hiding destinations from the drivers, Uber and Lyft rake in BILLIONS of dollars in extra revenue every year by keeping driver pay rates ARTIFICIALLY LOW.

Knowing destinations in advance and NOT being penalized in any way whatsoever would result in much HIGHER driver pay, which is why both companies have always been strongly opposed to it.

While I totally agree that not seeing destination greatly hurts our pay, I disagree that drivers' pay is the reason for U/L's opposition to showing destination. I think that there is such an abundance of money- losing rides - I might go as far as to say that *most* rides are money losers for drivers - that U/L know that all but the most oblivious drivers would decline these rides if they knew in advance. These rides are Uber's & Lyft's bread and butter, and they can't risk stranding these riders.

Nats121

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I totally agree that not seeing destination greatly hurts our pay, I disagree that drivers' pay is the reason for U/L's opposition to showing destination. I think that there is such an abundance of money- losing rides - I might go as far as to say that *most* rides are money losers for drivers - that U/L know that all but the most oblivious drivers would decline these rides if they knew in advance. These rides are Uber's & Lyft's bread and butter, and they can't risk stranding these riders.
Think it thru. You were on the right track and then you jumped off...

Think about the reason WHY rides are money losers for drivers... because the pay is too LOW.

Think about WHY the drivers would decline those rides if they knew the destinations... because the pay is too LOW.

Thus, drivers are SUBSIDIZING those rides to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars per year.

By declining crappy unprofitable rides, the number of stranded pax would SKYROCKET, which would rapidly lead to the ruin of Uber.

Thus, Uber's very survival would require them to make those rides ATTRACTIVE to the drivers via higher pay rates and/or hefty incentives.

Thus, driver pay would rise dramatically, costing Uber BILLIONS of dollars in additional driver compensation.

Thus, Uber has BILLIONS of reasons to hide destinations from the drivers.

waldowainthrop

Some rides are as profitable as other rides but end places people would discriminate against. Uber has an interest not just in keeping customers but expanding the network. The idea is that you will use the service more if you get a ride quickly and drivers just accept everything.

I talk to some passengers who “prefer” Lyft when it is 50 cents cheaper for a ride but choose Uber when the car they can order is more convenient. This is a network advantage that Uber has in most markets that they are seeking to keep or expand. If drivers have more information about rides, they may be less willing participants in the scheme to expand the network.

It’s not just about holding driver pay low – the rideshare companies do that with the rates themselves. Uber is perfectly happy to lose money on certain rides (even paying the driver way more than strictly necessary on sticky surge where the passenger pays non-surge but the driver earns surge) to keep the wait times low and the network coverage predictable and consistent.

Last edited:

dmoney155

every year.

But what about those people who only want to go one block because they are lazy? And what about the shoppers at your local grocery shops who live very close to the store but still need help with groceries? Would you still pick em up if you knew how short the ride was? or are you that selfish driver who only cares about his fat payout.... you sir, are no different than uber! Shame on you!

alvarezca

But what about those people who only want to go one block because they are lazy? And what about the shoppers at your local grocery shops who live very close to the store but still need help with groceries? Would you still pick em up if you knew how short the ride was? or are you that selfish driver who only cares about his fat payout.... you sir, are no different than uber! Shame on you!
You sir,is an ass kiser!

oldfart

I can imagine a ride that might be a money looser, but I don’t think I’ve ever had one. I get it that a 10 min ride after a 2 hour wait might not be the best use of my time, but it dosent lose me money. In fact the short rides pay more per mile than the long rides.

It’s the dead miles that kill you or better said it’s the ratio; dead miles to paid miles I would love to be able to reject any ride where the dead miles exceed paid miles but I don’t have the information to do that without Uber pro

So I worked to improve my acceptance rate to 85% and qualify for Uber pro. Now I have the information I need to make a decision.

Bottom line is I’m a fan of Uber pro and believe I make more money taking rides then rejecting them

nouberipo

I can imagine a ride that might be a money looser, but I don’t think I’ve ever had one. I get it that a 10 min ride after a 2 hour wait might not be the best use of my time, but it dosent lose me money. In fact the short rides pay more per mile than the long rides.

It’s the dead miles that kill you or better said it’s the ratio; dead miles to paid miles I would love to be able to reject any ride where the dead miles exceed paid miles but I don’t have the information to do that without Uber pro

So I worked to improve my acceptance rate to 85% and qualify for Uber pro. Now I have the information I need to make a decision.

Bottom line is I’m a fan of Uber pro and believe I make more money taking rides then rejecting them
You don't think you ever had a money losing ride? LMFAO. After reading your post twice there seems to be only two educated conclusions I can come to. The first is that you are writing this as an Uber troll and get paid to write such propaganda that is misleading for the purpose of attempting to make Uber driving look better than it is. The second would be that you just don't understand numbers. Have you calculated your "earnings" minus employee taxes? employer taxes? depreciation? insurance? maintenance? cell phone use? time? I cannot believe you are an actual driver when you say you don't think you ever had a money losing ride......most rides are subsidized by the drivers via their pay. You ARE losing money every time you start driving. As for the 85% AR, this tells me you are accepting more than the average share of non-profitable rides as that is the only way to get to that percent and maintain it. Uber loves drivers that think like you hence the reason I believe you are likely being paid by Uber to write such garbage.

TPAMB

And this is a very slippery slope to losing your Uber pro status as you decline these informed rides, so declines your AR and your back to where you started....... no destination or duration info. Add in all the crappy rides you took to get to Pro and... well........

nouberipo

When I started I had all sorts of information about pax. Through the app. Then drivers started discriminating on poor Mohammed and Tyrel. Not to mention Princess, Precious, and D.
Discriminating? I work for tips as the pay is below minimum wage. I don't put myself in neighborhoods for $3 with the high possibility of getting shot or robbed. It is sad that names speak volumes about the potential riders but that does not mean I should go into dangerous neighborhoods or pick up entitled snowflakes of which both are known for non-tipping, high-maintenance riders who WILL down rate you which then impacts the algorithm and future rides you will get. I don't agree with discrimination but I also don't agree with a company that illegally pays drivers below minimum wage to pick up paxoles that are entitled, don't tip, and many times are in neighborhoods I will not go......all of this while the driver is ultimately losing money/subsidizing the trip.

jazzapt

This all goes to show how flawed the whole “we aren’t a transportation company, we just connect those who have rides with those who need it” argument is.

If that were true, we would get to decide who they connect us with based on the kind of rides we want to give.

But not only do we not get to see the destination, they have made it increasingly more difficult to pinpoint the pickup location as well (remember when we used to get the pickup address on the ping)? I swear on Uber, the ping times out faster if I try to zoom in too close to where the pickup location is.

And we wouldn’t be forced to take Pool pings either.

DoubleDee

The whole term rideshare is a complete crock of crap. If it were really sharing a ride then there would be unlimited destination filters.

If not for Uber I would never drive to Newark or Patterson NJ. So I wouldn't be "sharing" a ride there.
Post automatically merged:

Discriminating? I don't put myself in neighborhoods for $3 with the high possibility of getting shot or robbed. I don't agree with discrimination.
It's not dicrimination to not want to pick up Shaquanda or Baby G in some hood rat neighborhod in Newark New Jersey. It's common sense.

DriverMark

All this non-sense would go away if they just made min fare rides profitable for drivers. Even at $5 for a min fare it would be more reasonable. $7 would be ideal. At $7 per ride it's not difficult, unless driver saturation or slow, to make $20+/hr. That is only 3 rides an hour Yea yea, you got expenses, but if you are pounding min fares you aren't putting many miles on and 3 min fare is slow you should be able to do 4+/hr. Charging $10 for a ride is still reasonable for the PAX. If it's to much for a PAX, they should take other forms of transportation that are within their budget.

Uber/Lyft make very high margin on these rides. So instead they resort to crap practices to entice drivers to take these. My market it's not a huge deal, as generally only have a couple min fares before a longer one comes through.

SHalester

I think the reason both RS giants don't is for the very reason you post: cherry picking would result in pax not getting ANY driver accepting their ride. And bigger picture would mean fewer requests. What's the saying cutting your nose off despite your face?

I want more info on the ping, but it really wouldn't change much for me. Accept maybe a long trip when I didn't have the time to complete before going 'off shift'. I just want to know all the info and longer than a measly 15 seconds to decide.

Seem is calif Uber is testing having the info on the ping, but it is random so far. I tested, no info. :cryin:

Lee239

every year.

How is that revenue lost when it's spread around to all drivers?

If you can cherry pick only the rides you want to do how do you think that would serve riders especially the ones who want to go shorter distances.

What screws drivers is Uber keeping $5 on short rides and paying you $2 for your labor, gas, car and maintenance.

Transportador

Guys, have you not heard about UberPro? Get to Platinum and Diamond level and you get to see trip duration ahead of time. Nothing like that on Lyft though. Uber wants you to drive just for them and accept most pings to stay at these levels. But you do get to ignore a few lousy rides, especially when you are in areas known for longer rides.