Not getting paid return tolls!

Majdr1

Hi - are any Westchester drivers or NYC Suburbs drivers getting their return tolls paid? I'm really getting angry because previously I was based out of CT and they would always pay for return tolls incurred to airports and wherever. Since they switched me to NYC Suburbs they have refused to pay the return tolls which is BS! They are saying since the car didn't have a rider they don't pay for tolls, which doesn't make any sense because my return trips from CT never had riders. I keep on disputing thru the app and portal and get the same scripted answer from a computer... not even a live human... this is insane and ver poor service support for drivers... Anyone else??

Maven

Uber never pays return tolls (without an active trip). However, Lyft does, but you must email proof, like a receipt or excerpt of your EZ-Pass statement.

Majdr1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Doesn't seem fair or correct especially due to the fact that we are not allowed to pickup return fares from LaGuardia or JFK airports.... and how come they paid when I was based out of Connecticut-? I would get $20.76 in tolls covering my trip going to and returning from JFK, LaGuardia etc...

Big man xl

Doesn't seem fair or correct especially due to the fact that we are not allowed to pickup return fares from LaGuardia or JFK airports.... and how come they paid when I was based out of Connecticut-? I would get $20.76 in tolls covering my trip going to and returning from JFK, LaGuardia etc...
One of the reasons i continue to drive in CT

Maven

The $20.76 represents the $5.76 EZ-pass bridge toll rate plus a $15 surcharge that CT drivers get upon entering NYC. Westchester/Rockland drivers apparently do not receive this surcharge. Neither gets paid for return tolls, unless you consider the surcharge.

Majdr1

Last week I took a family to Newark Airport ( Westchester based call ) over the GWB... The toll is incurred on the return trip over the GWB and I had no riders... The toll policy is not consistent and takes advantage of drivers.

I received my ezpass toll ( return trip ) from Uber on that trip without riders

Majdr1

It was automatically included in the fare, which goes to support my position and their inconsistent policy.

Maven

Last week I took a family to Newark Airport ( Westchester based call ) over the GWB... The toll is incurred on the return trip over the GWB and I had no riders... The toll policy is not consistent and takes advantage of drivers.
I received my ezpass toll ( return trip ) from Uber on that trip without riders
Uber has a separate $20 surcharge going between NYC and NJ when on an active trip. Not clear if surcharge applied for NYC-Suburbs (Westchester) pickups. See below for bridge toll.
Did you have to request the toll from them or was it automatic?
Uber is supposed to automatically reimburse all tolls when on an active trip. However, if does not happen, maybe 10%-30% of the time, you should ALWAYS check then send an email to Uber. Uber may pay in 1-2 days or require proof. Then reply with receipt or EZ-Pass statement excerpt as proof.

Majdr1

This was NYC Suburbs Westchester (Scarsdale) not NYC to NJ and they reimbursed me $26.24 total for Henry Hudson tolls ( outbound and return) and the GWB return toll... 2.64x2=5.28 plus 12.50 =$17.78

Majdr1

Yes it was included immediately when I ended trip at Newark Airport...

Maven

This was NYC Suburbs Westchester (Scarsdale) not NYC to NJ and they reimbursed me $26.24 total for Henry Hudson tolls ( outbound and return) and the GWB return toll... 2.64x2=5.28 plus 12.50 =$17.78
Yes it was included immediately when I ended trip at Newark Airport...
I am not clear on your math. Are you saying that Uber reimbursed you not only for tolls going from Scarsdale, NY to Newark airport, but for return tolls, too? And you received all reimbursements immediately upon arrival at Newark airport, including return tolls before you actually paid the return tolls? Have you seen this more than once?

There's a lot of confusion because Uber provides no breakdown for "tolls and surcharges". :frown:
What about a $20 surcharge driving between NYC and NJ?

Majdr1

I know, very confusing.... the math is based on ez pass toll rates... Yes all paid after closing out trip, including the 2 return tolls without riders.

Maven

I know, very confusing.... the math is based on ez pass toll rates... Yes all paid after closing out trip, including the 2 return tolls without riders.
Historically, Uber never reimburses return tolls, certainly not before they are actually paid by the driver. I suggest that you email Uber support and ask for a breakdown of "tolls and surcharges" on this trip. Perhaps that may decrease our confusion.

reg barclay

Historically, Uber never reimburses return tolls, certainly not before they are actually paid by the driver. I suggest that you email Uber support and ask for a breakdown of "tolls and surcharges" on this trip. Perhaps that may decrease our confusion.
It seems uber charged the pax for the GWB toll in this case even though it's only incurred on the return journey, There are certain bridges/crossings where the toll is only charged in one direction and Uber charges pax for the return toll. One example is the Verrazano bridge for NJ drivers going into NYC. I am hoping that here Uber is doing the same for Westchester drivers taking pax over the GWB into NJ, if so hopefully this applies to the Tappan Zee as well.

Moondirty

Stop doing these loser rides! Uber and Lyft do not pay return tolls. Ask the pax to pay it or cancel the trip! This is what I do. It's bad enough that you have to deadhead it back sometimes 40 miles back, but to pay return tolls on top of that is suicide!

Maven

Stop doing these loser rides! Uber and Lyft do not pay return tolls. Ask the pax to pay it or cancel the trip! This is what I do. It's bad enough that you have to deadhead it back sometimes 40 miles back, but to pay return tolls on top of that is suicide!
Incorrect. Lyft, but not Uber, will pay return tolls. However, it is never (in my experience) automatic. You must email Lyft support with proof (toll receipt, EZPass statement, or similar).

Last edited:

Moondirty

Incorrect. Lyft, but not Uber, will pay return tolls. However, it is never (in my experience) automatic. You must email Lyft support with proof (toll receipt, EZPass statement, or similar).
So I have email them to get what they should pay me automatically?! What a load of crap! So now I will pull over on the bridge and take a selfie to prove to gods at lyft that I crossed a bridge.. they have gps and monitor your drive, they can pay!