Not 10,000 Drivers in Austin

Awsteen Dude

The article about 10,000 uber drivers in Austin doesn't look right because I deactivated my self just a few hours ago.
Here is the math for my earning as uber driver. "Daily earning- [20% uber fee+ gas+ mileage+ maintenance+ smart phone and data+ waiting time to see a ping+ drunk riders(bastards)+ disrespectful riders (MFs)+ freaking ratings]= $ 5-7/hr income".
In sum, it's not worth it. Even homeless guys could make more money than uber drivers. Guess what..they don't even need cars and smart phones with 4G lte data.
Does uber think uber drivers are smarter than homeless guys?

Last edited:

Native Austinite

Yeah the economic numbers provided to the city are always jacked way up, because the city has no metrics of their own. There is no way there are 10,000 Uber drivers in Austin.
Look at how Circuit of the Americas pumps up it's numbers:

F1 Friday practice 50,000 ticket holders
F1 Satday qualifier 75,000
F1 Raceday 117,000

Now then, Sat. you can subtract 50,ooo becuase those are the same people that came the day before. Just more people came on Sat. Same math for Sun, so any normal person can clearly see, there were only around 117,ooo tickets sold. So we would say 117,000 people attended Formula 1, and from there you can extrapolate the economic impact.
Not so in the world of business/politics.
They add all three days and say that 242,000 people attended the race. Then they use that to extrapolate the economic impact. I am postive that Uber is using similar "fuzzy math". And yes, city hall does just take their word for it.

Tx rides

Yeah the economic numbers provided to the city are always jacked way up, because the city has no metrics of their own. There is no way there are 10,000 Uber drivers in Austin.
Look at how Circuit of the Americas pumps up it's numbers:

F1 Friday practice 50,000 ticket holders
F1 Satday qualifier 75,000
F1 Raceday 117,000

Now then, Sat. you can subtract 50,ooo becuase those are the same people that came the day before. Just more people came on Sat. Same math for Sun, so any normal person can clearly see, there were only around 117,ooo tickets sold. So we would say 117,000 people attended Formula 1, and from there you can extrapolate the economic impact.
Not so in the world of business/politics.
They add all three days and say that 242,000 people attended the race. Then they use that to extrapolate the economic impact. I am postive that Uber is using similar "fuzzy math". And yes, city hall does just take their word for it.
True words! However, it is quite possible they have churned through 10,000 drivers!!! But there is no way there are 10,000 active drivers. That is just ridiculous, but they have craftily locked up their numbers as "proprietary information "this is why they are not turning over the data promised to the city in 2014. Go figure....

ATXFALCON

The article about 10,000 uber drivers in Austin doesn't look right because I deactivated my self just a few hours ago.
Here is the math for my earning as uber driver. "Daily earning- [20% uber fee+ gas+ mileage+ maintenance+ smart phone and data+ waiting time to see a ping+ drunk riders(bastards)+ disrespectful riders (MFs)+ freaking ratings]= $ 5-7/hr income".
In sum, it's not worth it. Even homeless guys could make more money than uber drivers. Guess what..they don't even need cars and smart phones with 4G lte data.
Does uber think uber drivers are smarter than homeless guys?
I don't know how many pax I get that tell me they signed up for uber, and only went out a few times, and quit because they didn't make any money LOL. So they may have 10k drivers, but probably only 10% are active. Until the rates go back up to 2014 pricing my uber days are over for the most part. Last week I took a couple uberx requested, and I got Lyft pings, and canceled my uber, both lyft fares were over $20, and great paxs. Uber is only going to raise rates when the service becomes unreliable, but all the uber rides I take are by newbies offering me water, and gum for a $6 fare, so who knows?