1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Northwoods driver

Discussion in 'People' started by Gilby, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Gilby

Gilby Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I drive in Wausau, Wisconsin, the gateway to the Northwoods. This is a metro area of about 65,000, so it is not very busy. Uber started here last spring. At any given time in the daytime there may be five or six drivers online, and often I am the only one on this side of town, which is close to most of the hotels. I would guess about half of my riders are from out of town, visiting here for business.

My driving is daytime only. I work part time as a flight instructor, and turn on the Uber app between flight lessons. Flying pays a lot more, but this time of year many of my students are not very active. My Uber earnings are quite modest, but I am not really trying to make a lot of money as I am on social security and have a couple of pensions.

The vehicle is a 2003 Cadillac CTS with more than 185,000 miles, so I am not concerned about the car all that much. It is clean and attractive and gets some compliments now and then.

2. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

I like your story Gilby.
    You can stay.

Kevthegrad and Disgusted Driver like this.
  3. the ferryman

the ferryman Well-Known Member

Get on with your bad self, Gilby. It’s not a bad gig for someone in your particular station in life. Wish you well and come back with stories of the weird and wondrous.

Cableguynoe likes this.
  4. Gilby

Gilby Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I am just up to about 200 rides and there have been some very interesting people. One guy flew in to town to pick up a brand new trolley car manufactured here, and drive it to California. He said he hoped it didn't have a speed governor because driving from Wisconsin to the West Coast at 45 miles per hour would be pure hell. He was supposed to return in a week to drive one to North Carolina, but I did not see him again.