• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Northbound lanes of George Washington Parkway closed in Fairfax County due to sinkhole

Jo3030

Northbound lanes of George Washington Parkway closed in Fairfax County due to sinkhole

Posted May 10 2019 08:05PM EDT
Updated May 10 2019 09:25PM EDT
FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (FOX 5 DC) - The northbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway are closed in Fairfax County due to a sinkhole, National Park Service officials say.
The road is shut down from Rt. 123 (Chain Bridge Road) to I-495, according to officials, and has been closed since around 6:45 p.m. after a U.S. Park Police officer observed a sinkhole.
Officials say the northbound lanes will remain closed in the area until engineers and work crews fully assess and repair the road. Meanwhile, southbound lanes will remain open.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
NPS staff have monitored the area since March after another sinkhole developed next to Dead Run

Another Uber Driver

We had the Baltimore-Washington Potholeway. Now we have the George Washington Memorial Sinkhole.

Thank you for the Public Service Announcement.

Another traffic advisory: Rock Creek Park will be closed near the Kennedy Centre for destruction. This may last as late as Tuesday Morning Rush Hour.

Another Uber Driver

As of this posting, the B-W Potholeway Northbound between Route Disaster (Maryland 32) and Route 175 is currently closed for (cue up echo chamber and basso profondo voice) A-c-c-c-c-c-c-i-d-ennnnnnnt Re-connnn-str-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-c-tionnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Those of you stuck with a job to Freindship Airport would do well to pay heed and conduct yourselves accordingly.

yankdog

On the rare occasions I get a BWI Bazaar run I never ever ever use BW Parkway. Shooting over to 95 then off at 195 adds an extra $6.
Actually that is exactly right, $5-$6. Committing a 9750 Code violation on a reverse trip can get you more but somehow 5097 seems harder to pull off lol

Drakkor

Actually that is exactly right, $5-$6. Committing a 9750 Code violation on a reverse trip can get you more but somehow 5097 seems harder to pull off lol
9750/5097 is my goto during the day, traffic is always my excuse.

It is longer, but since it's almost always at highway speeds, they don't care/notice.

New2This

9750/5097 is my goto during the day, traffic is always my excuse.

It is longer, but since it's almost always at highway speeds, they don't care.
I wish I could find screenshots but I've gotten numerous 45+ or 60+ minute notification trips from Reagan Airport to BWI or Baltimore in general that have gone up G.W. Parkway/395/N2TMH/495/95/195.

I was tempted to try the 50/97 add-on but wasn't sure it'd help. Now I know

New2This

Posted May 10 2019 08:05PM EDT
Updated May 10 2019 09:25PM EDT
FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (FOX 5 DC) - The northbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway are closed in Fairfax County due to a sinkhole, National Park Service officials say.
The road is shut down from Rt. 123 (Chain Bridge Road) to I-495, according to officials, and has been closed since around 6:45 p.m. after a U.S. Park Police officer observed a sinkhole.
Officials say the northbound lanes will remain closed in the area until engineers and work crews fully assess and repair the road. Meanwhile, southbound lanes will remain open.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
NPS staff have monitored the area since March after another sinkhole developed next to Dead Run
Also if any of you Deplorables get an Arlington/Reagan Airport to MD, 66/495 should be your go-to.

20190511_193518.png

Tell them the Capital One HQ is so nice to see at night.

Jo3030

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's one more day? :smiles:

George Washington Memorial Parkway to remain closed into Tuesday for sinkhole repairs

FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (FOX 5 DC) - Drivers are in for another rough morning on the George Washington Parkway Tuesday as northbound lanes from Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) to Interstate 495 will remain closed for sinkhole repairs.
Crews were hoping to have one northbound lane open for rush hour Monday morning but heavy rains slowed the repair work. By the evening, crews were at the scene, but the road will remain closed during the morning rush.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Representative Jennifer Wexton says something has to change. She sent a letter to the National Park Service saying years of deferred maintenance have created a backlog of needed repairs and improvement.

Wexton said this latest sinkhole, apparently was caused by a failure of a 60-year-old brick inlet, is just the latest example. She called the current state of the parkway "unacceptable," adding that it is a hazard and also causes congestion.
"It's not just the sinkhole. The road is in terrible condition. You know, there are potholes everywhere, the roadway is all torn up, and it's gotten progressively worse over the years and there hasn't been the kind of maintenance and repairs that it needs," said Wexton.
The National Park Service is now hoping one lane will reopen in time for Tuesday evening's rush hour. The southbound lanes of the George Washington Parkway are open.