Non-Commercial Auto Insurance in NYS

Maven

Please reply if you find insurers that write personal (non-commercial) policies for rideshare/Uber drivers in New York State. Even though many insurers do this in other states, it is really hard to find in NY State. Up until now TLC drivers in NYC had expensive commercial insurance. However, TNC drivers with Class-D operators drivers licenses and non-taxi license plates, do not require commercial. This is creating a big new potential market for insurers, but most have not made the necessary changes. Also see https://uberpeople.net/threads/insurance-in-upstate-ny.171057/

It is only a matter of time until these changes are made. Meanwhile, NYS TNC drivers have few, if any, good options. Outside of NYS, many insurers allow rideshare/Uber on personal policies. Companies that offer a rideshare "rider" or "option" or "hybrid" in other states include: Allstate, Farmers, GEICO, MetLife, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, State Farm, and USAA.

Warning: Most NYS insurers will cancel your personal policy if they even suspect rideshare/Uber, even part time. Uber/Lyft "omit" explaining this to new drivers. Hiding rideshare from your insurer is taking a big risk. Be very careful making inquiries. Working through independent agents may be best.
____

Update: Several NYS insurers reportedly allow you to do rideshare at no additional cost, but do not provide any coverage when you are online with Uber, Lyft, etc.
  • Liberty Mutual
  • State Farm
  • USAA (must be ex-military)
Uber/Lyft provide auto insurance coverage when online, but probably not as good as your current policy. See
https://uberpeople.net/threads/james-river-insurance-reviews.175017/

Last edited:

JPU

Please reply if you find insurers that write personal (non-commercial) policies for rideshare/Uber drivers in New York State. Even though many insurers do this in other states, it is really hard to find in NY State. Up until now TLC drivers in NYC had expensive commercial insurance. However, TNC drivers with Class-D operators drivers licenses and non-taxi license plates, do not require commercial. This is creating a big new potential market for insurers, but most have not made the necessary changes. Also see https://uberpeople.net/threads/insurance-in-upstate-ny.171057/

It is only a matter of time until these changes are made. Meanwhile, NYS TNC drivers have few, if any, good options. Outside of NYS, many insurers allow rideshare/Uber on personal policies. Companies that offer a rideshare "rider" or "option" or "hybrid" in other states include: Allstate, Farmers, GEICO, MetLife, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, State Farm, and USAA.

Warning: Most NYS insurers will cancel your personal policy if they even suspect rideshare/Uber, even part time. Uber/Lyft "omit" explaining this to new drivers. Hiding rideshare from your insurer is taking a big risk. Be very careful making inquiries. Working through independent agents may be best.

Update: Liberty Mutual in NY allows you to do rideshare at no additional cost, but does not provide any coverage when you are online with Uber, Lyft, etc. Uber/Lyft provide auto insurance coverage when online, but probably not as good as your current policy. See
https://uberpeople.net/threads/james-river-insurance-reviews.175017/

Winfield group said they do not write these policies yet. They also stated that the upstate companies arent ready yet.

Well now.. i just verified liberty mutual. They DO but i believe goes to a business premium which might be a little higher. Anyone else get one from them? Looks like i might be ubering soon

uberguy19481948

Nothing here. I checked with my local broker and they said there might be something coming down the line from Atlas-Fin but it's more for part-time Uber workers not full-time ones.

My broker attended a webinar on the topic a week or so ago and she said there are no state filings yet for Ride Sharing from any companies. So, I imagine we might have to wait a year for all these filings to be approved.

I'm sticking with my current commercial policy and I'll work for a base until I can actually get ride sharing insurance. It's just not worth doing it illegally with a personal policy that won't cover you!

Good Luck! If I hear anything else I'll post back!

JPU

Surprisngly i went to liberty mutual and i now have a quote for personal /business use for uber. The only time they dont cover you is when passengers are IN your vehicle and uber is covering them. The rep stated that they will NOT drop me and was strong about it. He also said that there is no way to know if you are logged in with no passengers so private insurance kicks in even though younare looking.

mavrick

Be careful if you get in an accident they will sue you and Uber if you have anything in your name you will be fcuked

What would stop an insurance company from requiring you to affirmatively state you are not currently and have not been driving for a TNC before processing (or denying) your claim?

And if, for example, you refused to answer the question, would they still pay the claim?

Also, what would prevent the insurance company from determining whether or not you drive for Uber through discovery (e.g. contacting Uber directly, or the DMV, for example, or, in a legal case, subpoenaing the Uber records to see when your app was turned on)?

Maven

What would stop an insurance company from requiring you to affirmatively state you are not currently and have not been driving for a TNC before processing (or denying) your claim?

And if, for example, you refused to answer the question, would they still pay the claim?

Also, what would prevent the insurance company from determining whether or not you drive for Uber through discovery (e.g. contacting Uber directly, or the DMV, for example, or, in a legal case, subpoenaing the Uber records to see when your app was turned on)?
Not 100%, but pretty sure that the terms of the contract you have with your insurer guarantees everything you mention plus the right to deny your claim if you do not follow their process. You can go down the legal path, but that is risky and the odds are stacked against the individual as most lawyers will explain.

Last edited:
Not 100%, but pretty sure that the terms of the contract you have with your insurer guarantees everything you mention plus the right to deny our claim if you do not follow their process. You can go down the legal path, but that is risky and the odds are stacked against the individual as most lawyers will explain.
So in the interim period when Ride Sharing insurance is not available in New York, are the only options to switch to Liberty Mutual (which would allow you to ride but not provide any coverage while app is on), or purchase commercial insurance?

Also, does anyone know how long on average did it take for insurance companies to offer Ride Sharing insurance after Uber entered other geographies in the U.S.?

Maven

Does anybody know if this NYS-DMV regulation applies to Uber/Lyft/TFH drivers? TNC drivers can have normal class-D drivers licenses and normal license places.
So in the interim period when Ride Sharing insurance is not available in New York, are the only options to switch to Liberty Mutual (which would allow you to ride but not provide any coverage while app is on), or purchase commercial insurance?
Yes, unless you decide (1) not to rideshare until better coverage is available (2) risk current personal policy being dropped (not recommended)
Also, does anyone know how long on average did it take for insurance companies to offer Ride Sharing insurance after Uber entered other geographies in the U.S.?
Not me :frown:

Tzjien

NJ passed the Rideshare insurance law on May 1, 2017 and as of today, only USAA (Military & their families) and Farmer's Insurance offer policies for ride-share in NJ.

Farmers & USAA offered their policies as early as March 2017 in anticipation of the May 1st law taking effect, possibly earlier.

Farmer's has high standards on who they will insure, from what I've gleaned from my agent, most drivers (his potential clients) don't pass the underwriters which means there's potentially a ton of NJ based drivers that do not have adequate insurance per NJ state law and either don't know or do know & are hoping their ins companies don't find out.

Uber started in NJ in 2013 or 2014? So, answer to the question is 3-4 years (or more) before state laws caught up.

ShinyAndChrome

Great thread.

I mentioned in another I called my Allstate agent today and was told in approximately a month that Allstate would have a rider for personal policies for ride sharing. I asked about the cost and was told it wouldn't be that much. I have no specifics beyond this, and of course that month is merely what I was told. Maybe it's a week, maybe it's a year.

Also just because liberty mutual doesn't mind if you ride share, it doesn't mean it's covering you during phase 1 (it's not), and that's a key piece of the "rider" that I would need to be comfortable. There are currently thousands of NY drivers going around with far less insurance than they are aware of.

Maven

What I do not understand is that it has already been 2 months since June 29th. The insurers knew this was coming well before that. Now Allstate claims that it will be at least another month. I do not mean to single out Allstate. They all have the same issue.

Warning to full-time drivers: You may be able to get a "rideshare" rider or endorsement on your personal policy that is less expensive than commercial insurance. However, expect your insurer to require a photo of your odometer or other proof at renewal time (6-12 months). You'll be forced onto commercial insurance if and when you do not meet their underwriting guidelines.