No trip fee ridesharing app

michellejunlee

Hi,

I am building an uber like app

Benefits for the driver
1. No per trip fee
2. Payment directly goes to your stripe account (stripe is similar to payment, there is 1.5% fee, but you get the money right away)

While building the app, some concerns I have is I am not sure on how to recruit drivers or passengers on using the app.

I don't plan to get any funding and trying to do this on my own. I am base it on idea that the driver should get a lot more than just paying the 20% comission to uber.

Some background story, I was an uber driver when they just started, and the amount of money you are able to make by driving uber is enough for living.

I have not finished yet, but sometime I am wondering if this is a good idea or bad idea, especially since I dont have marketing $ to recruit drivers or entice passengers to use the app.

appreciate any feedback

Last edited:

Dback2004

Assuming you can figure out marketing/recruitment, your biggest hurdle is going to be insurance. If you're not providing insurance like Uber or Lyft does (ignoring the whole adequate coverage debate here) you're going to have to find drivers committed enough to spend big bucks on their own commercial policies which is unlikely.

DocT

Some background story, I was an uber driver when they just started, and the amount of money you are able to make by driving uber is enough for living.
Since the time you drove Uber at start-up, rates have slashed 50-75%, Uber's commission has increased, and the Booking Fee (formerly known as Safe Ride Fee) has also increased. It's very difficult for a driver to earn a living solely on Uber.

Ubernic

Not to discourage you, but there are a lot of Uber like start ups that come and go. Unfortunately Uber has the market dominated, Lyft has a tiny portion. I don't think it is realistic to build an app of your own even with funding considering the competition.