• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No Tip = Lower Rating

steveK2016

It's well documented what I think of down rating pax for not tipping.

Tipping is a gratuity, given for extra service. By down rating pax for not tipping, you are implying that tipping is mandatory. If it is mandatory, then it is no longer a gratuity but is a service fee.

Down rating for not tipping is tantamount to pax down rating because you didn't provide service above and beyond, such as offering candy, gum, water or champagne.

Your job is to get them to point a to point b alive and in one piece. Their job is to pay you according to the rate you agreed to get paid without damaging your property along the way.

If you are ok with down rating pax for not tipping, then you should be ok with pax down rating you for not offering extra amenities.

Problem is, a pax can more than likely get their rating reset by Uber or just create a new account. The driver cannot if he is deactivated for low rating.

Pax don't know why you are down rating them, if they even care about their rating. Unless you are announcing at the end of the trip that you are rating them a 4 because they didn't tip, what possible benefit do you think this will actually do rather than directly educating your pax in the merits of tipping?

Maven

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you are over estimating the Pax' concern. They don't care about their rating.
While I agree that most PAX are less concerned with ratings than drivers because they have little reason to be concerned. However, an under 4 rating will reduce the number of drivers willing to pick up a PAX. Would you? It is possible that if the rating goes under 3 or perhaps under 2 that Uber may take some action even if it is just a nasty message.

Chauffeur_James

While I agree that most PAX are less concerned with ratings than drivers because they have little reason to be concerned. However, an under 4 rating will reduce the number of drivers willing to pick up a PAX. Would you? It is possible that if the rating goes under 3 or perhaps under 2 that Uber may take some action even if it is just a nasty message.
You are running off the premise that most drivers look at the passengers rating before picking them up though. Yeah, maybe they won't get an experienced driver to pick them up. They will always get a newbie that doesn't even know there was a rating. (Which I've talked to many drivers at the airport that had absolutely no clue a passenger had a rating.) And with the average lifespan of an Uber driver being around 6 months, it will be impossible to keep the knowledge spreading. If drivers lasted longer you could probably organize more easily. But that just is not the case.

Shangsta

Most drivers are too desperate for pings to ignore a pax with a low rating.

You are not the first person to think of this and it really hasn't changed the tipping culture.

Non tippers turn to tippers when a driver educates them and wins them over.

VegasR

The main purpose of ratings is to inform other drivers.

You're about to go home. Get a ping 6 minutes away. Do you take it?

For this reason i factor the current rating in. Non tippers, especially when extra service is given, should not be 5.0

If someone is at 4.7 I'll generally give them a 5 unless the do something wrong or are particularly demanding, without tipping

Over/Uber

Tipping is a gratuity, given for extra service. By down rating pax for not tipping, you are implying that tipping is mandatory. If it is mandatory, then it is no longer a gratuity but is a service fee.

Down rating for not tipping is tantamount to pax down rating because you didn't provide service above and beyond, such as offering candy, gum, water or champagne.

Your job is to get them to point a to point b alive and in one piece. Their job is to pay you according to the rate you agreed to get paid without damaging your property along the way.

If you are ok with down rating pax for not tipping, then you should be ok with pax down rating you for not offering extra amenities.

Problem is, a pax can more than likely get their rating reset by Uber or just create a new account. The driver cannot if he is deactivated for low rating.

Pax don't know why you are down rating them, if they even care about their rating. Unless you are announcing at the end of the trip that you are rating them a 4 because they didn't tip, what possible benefit do you think this will actually do rather than directly educating your pax in the merits of tipping?
Word

I rate everyone a 5, tip or no, as long as they aren't unseemly in some fashion. Most who rate their drivers rate me a five even though I don't have mints, water all the time or aux cords. I always help with luggage and other large items that are going in the luggage area.

Some provide a little extra for what they consider service above and beyond while most don't. That's not going to change if I rate the non-providers a 4.

Last edited:

VegasR

Word

I rate everyone a 5, tip or no, as long as they aren't unseemly in some fashion. Most who rate their drivers rate me a five even though I don't have mints, water all the time or aux cords. I always help with luggage and other large items that are going in the luggage area.

Some provide a little extra for what they consider service above and beyond while most don't. That's not going to change if I rate the non-providers a 4.
But other drivers will know. If they are on the fense about accepting a ride they will have better info.

Ms Stein Fanboy

What do you think of only giving a 5 rating to riders who tip? No Tip means 4 rating maximum.
If this became a general practice, known to riders would PAX be "encouraged" to tip more frequently?
Again with this. It does nothing. I promise you. It does nothing.
But other drivers will know. If they are on the fense about accepting a ride they will have better info.
A sensible ideal that just doens't play out in the real world.
Word

Really? I get above & beyond badges. I even was told there should be a way to give me 6 stars.
"You could always tip, then the better drivers like me will have more incentive to stay on the platform, and that's good for you the rider."
"No, there should be some other way to give more than 5 stars."
That exchange happened in real @@@@ing life.

Ms Stein Fanboy

I only look at the rating when it's a place downtown SF where picking up is problematic and I'll need to call and arrange. I learned long ago this isn't that easy, and so I'll check the rating to see fi I want to follow through or not. This has actually been helpful. Way less regret in the times I have called and arranged something versus the past when I had faith in anybody to handle simple instructions with a respectfully helpful attitude. But with a bunch of drivers doing their own rating system like this, why would anyone take their ratings that seriously.

So you really think if a rider is around a 4, drivers will know it's because they don't tip, and ignore the ping accordingly?
His idea makes sense. But if he thinks coming here and getting it started will help, he's delusional. If everyone, all over the world did this, then we could eventually see by the rating, whether pax is probably a tipper or not. In SF, nobody tips (00.0001% is nobody). So they'd all have low ratings and we'd just pick them up anyways, so even with full participation this wouldn't work.

JoeyA

Most drivers are too desperate for pings to ignore a pax with a low rating.

You are not the first person to think of this and it really hasn't changed the tipping culture.

Non tippers turn to tippers when a driver educates them and wins them over.
This could change the tipping culture! I made it myself and I just put it in my car. I will let you know how it goes.

upload_2017-2-24_18-17-4.png

VegasR

So you really think if a rider is around a 4, drivers will know it's because they don't tip, and ignore the ping accordingly?
Someone might have mediocre ratings for many reasons. But a regular tipper is unlikely to have low ratings.

I've gotten plenty of tips from lower rated drivers but im pretty good at getting tips.

I do factor this in when considering rides that are either marginal or when there will be another ping soon if i pass.

joebo1963

I agree on petting pax from point A to point B successfully with no issues gets a 5, however pax with luggage going to and or from the airport and cruise port who don't tip I always give 4's or less.... gave a 3 to a guy because he and his partner wanted stops at different terminals and no tip....and all during the trip they talked about how much money they made..

steveK2016

I agree on petting pax from point A to point B successfully with no issues gets a 5, however pax with luggage going to and or from the airport and cruise port who don't tip I always give 4's or less.... gave a 3 to a guy because he and his partner wanted stops at different terminals and no tip....and all during the trip they talked about how much money they made..
Well you are going above and beyond on request. Being asked to do so without offering compensation is acceptablr exception go the rule.

joebo1963

I think they don't care about their rating
Agreed I don't think most care about their rating. Regularly I pick up business people at expensive hotels and restaurants and they discuss their business and vacations to exotic locations in my car and then I get their luggage and they thank me like I'm their friend but not tip.......I always give them a 4. and yesterday his rating was 4.6 so other drivers are giving 4's too

Greguzzi

Someone might have mediocre ratings for many reasons. But a regular tipper is unlikely to have low ratings.

I've gotten plenty of tips from lower rated drivers but im pretty good at getting tips.

I do factor this in when considering rides that are either marginal or when there will be another ping soon if i pass.
Me, too. Under 4.7 is a no, unless it's surging 2x or higher.