No tip, I drive for uber

Hey now

Just a thought, I drove two bartenders yesterday, one who works at the Capital Grill and one who works in old town. Neither of them tipped. You would think being in the service industry, they would understand and tip their drivers. I'm now thinking about the next time I go out to a bar or restaurant and leaving no tip with a note that says "no tip, I drive for uber".

Scissorz

Just a thought, I drove two bartenders yesterday, one who works at the Capital Grill and one who works in old town. Neither of them tipped. You would think being in the service industry, they would understand and tip their drivers. I'm now thinking about the next time I go out to a bar or restaurant and leaving no tip with a note that says "no tip, I drive for uber".
So are you going to afford to go out with what you are making right now? More like a 6-pack and red box for you.

I_Like_Spam

Uber's website emphasizes that "no tipping necessary".

Sure, uber partners provide a service in transportation, but so do stewardesses and they aren't tipped either.

I don't think its really proper to demonize someone who is just soaking in the information that they were given by the Uber company.

Hey now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And flight attendants get salary, benefits, expense reimbursement - not even close to a fair comparison.
And most people tip them when ordering a drink. Just because the billionaire of the company says it's not required (so he came make more$) doesn't make it right. Name one other service provider that doesn't get tipped! Even maids at hotels get tipped now a days.

Phxdriver

Sure, uber partners provide a service in transportation, but so do stewardesses and they aren't tipped either.

I don't think its really proper to demonize someone who is just soaking in the information that they were given by the Uber company.
Yes your funeral director is a service oriented person you don't tip him either moron comparing a driver to stewerdess is like comparing you to a straight man makes no sense.

I Aint Jo Mama

I have never gotten a tip from an Indian(Asian)Nothing against them at all , but am thinking about going into an Indian Restaurent , order about $100 of food and drinks , leave no tip and ask them how it feels to be stiffed for a tip!!!

Hey now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have never gotten a tip from an Indian(Asian)Nothing against them at all , but am thinking about going into an Indian Restaurent , order about $100 of food and drinks , leave no tip and ask them how it feels to be stiffed for a tip!!!
It's funny that you said this. I was just talking to a friend about this. I've actually had two tip me. I was pleasantly surprised both times because before the two it had never happened. Btw, it sucks driving 5 miles to pick them up and they have you drive them less than a mile to where they work, American Express or the Henkel building.

albertphx

In my experience, most of them do tip.I picked up 2 bartenders so far, and both did not tipped, but all 4 of the waitresses/waiter i picked up left an tip. Although, its not
100%, its still much higher than the 5% of regular pax that leaves an tip. Of the 4,
2 lives in ghetto apartments, 2 had average housing. So most of them are not exactly raking in the big money either.

wk1102

But... a bartender, server, hairdresser, or anyone who make a significant portion of their money on tips knows how much that 2-5 dollars is appreciated. Tjere is no excuse, it is a god damn insult when these people do not tip. I don't hold it against joe the mechanic or suzy the grocery store cashier if they do not tip. I try to get the conversation going in a way that tipping get brought up so i can explain but...

There is absolutely no excuse for a bartender or server not to tip. I dont give a rat's ass what Uber says. They know better, they'd spit in your drink or food if you stiffed them!

konoplya

had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day and i mentioned something that not many people tip with uber and he says "you're don't tip uber, its included". facepalm.

John1971

As a man driver in America,I kinda feel bad for women uber driver,wish only the best for all of us.... :-)

Blackcab

I must be in the minority, someone drives you to the airport in rush hour, loads bags. Gets you there safely. How can you not tip. Big character flaw if you ask me, especially if these riders are old taxi passengers. I don't care if they heard you don't have to tip on uber, no law says you have to tip anywhere. I have come to expect no tips for short uneventful trips, taking people to work, etc. but long trips taking you to bfe or airport runs are different. Using the excuse, I don't carry cash is bs. Start carrying cash if you uber, how do you tip a bellman or valet, don't think they have a square or a stripper for that matter.

Strippers never tip.

But... a bartender, server, hairdresser, or anyone who make a significant portion of their money on tips knows how much that 2-5 dollars is appreciated. Tjere is no excuse, it is a god damn insult when these people do not tip. I don't hold it against joe the mechanic or suzy the grocery store cashier if they do not tip. I try to get the conversation going in a way that tipping get brought up so i can explain but...

There is absolutely no excuse for a bartender or server not to tip. I dont give a rat's ass what Uber says. They know better, they'd spit in your drink or food if you stiffed them!
Well said.

JoeyA

Hookers? On second thought they do get "the tip". The tip the shaft the whole damn thing. Uber drivers only get "the shaft".
They say "the tip is the best part". Who knew?? Lol

I must be in the minority, someone drives you to the airport in rush hour, loads bags. Gets you there safely. How can you not tip. Big character flaw if you ask me, especially if these riders are old taxi passengers. I don't care if they heard you don't have to tip on uber, no law says you have to tip anywhere. I have come to expect no tips for short uneventful trips, taking people to work, etc. but long trips taking you to bfe or airport runs are different. Using the excuse, I don't carry cash is bs. Start carrying cash if you uber, how do you tip a bellman or valet, don't think they have a square or a stripper for that matter.

Strippers never tip.

Well said.
That was the point of this. Tipping is appreciation. I drop off these guys to bars, they don't tip me but tip the bartender. I drop at the airport, they don't tip me but tip the baggage handler? What's wrong with this picture? It's principle. Show a little respect... we are not the scum of the earth. Don't use us for the lowest fares of your life, and not show appreciation. That's what this is all about. Not that i'm desperate or need the money. This is a side gig for me, I do it at my leisure. But there are others that do it for a living and IT'S NOT EASY. I FEEL FOR THEM!

Attachments