Uber Drivers Forum banner

No Tip? Count on getting 1*

3K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  x100 
#1 ·
Always considered myself pretty hardcore about non-tippers. 2*s has been my normal for no tip.
But now, with The Way Things Are?
The drivers are literally risking their life for you.

#2 ·
I've been doing this over 5 years and I never give a non tipper a 5. I usually give them a 4 unless there is some other issue or problem.

However these days you really have to go out of your way, on Lyft, to not give a tip; so I might be tempted to give lower than the 4 that I usually give.

A "1" seems kind of harsh for simply not tipping. It does not rise to the level of vomiting in the vehicle or not being ready for pickup when we arrive.

What do the rest of you think?

#8 ·
All pax's get picked up. Lyft/Uber has built in purge programs to protect the pax ratings.
Exactly correct. As a driver have never expected tips.

Afte
I, like many other experienced drivers reject or cancel low rated riders. If they are showing a 4.5 or lower it probably means they don't tip for good service. I let the newbie ants have those cheapskates.

On the Lyft platform, a rider has to ignore the tip nag screen as well as the e-mail encouraging them to tip their Lyft driver. So there is no question or misunderstanding that tips are not included and are expected for good service. The bottom line is that we can not make it in this business without the tips.
Attitudes, like the previous posts before yours, encourage us to not tip drivers. And frankly, I don't know even one single person that disagrees.

As a driver, have never expected tips. And constantly inform my passengers that tips are included. It's like my favorite part of driving.

After reading this thread I am now totally DONE tipping drivers. And I will still my 4.91 rating.
😎

#5 ·
That's it. I'm ZERO tipping all Uber drivers. They do NOT deserve tips. They do deserve sub minimum wage.

You just helped me with this decision. And saving me $ as well.

To restate the obvious; we are a taxi.
EVERYONE knows you tip your cab driver, you tip you waiter/waitress, you tip your barber/hair stylist.
It has always been thus. If it was 1850 you tipped your carriage driver.
If you don't you're not part of polite society.
We warn others by giving you few stars.
TIPS ARE INCLUDED. PERIOD.

#16 ·
That's it. I'm ZERO tipping all Uber drivers.
"That's it"?.........for how many weeks have you been posting that you are giving ZERO tips? If the tip is "included", as you have been "reminding" us, for how many years now? .............does this not conflict with your "ZERO tipping"? You are contradicting yourself.

They do NOT deserve tips. They do deserve sub minimum wage.
For that attitude, people like you do not deserve a ride. Of course, these dumb ants out here still will fetch you. They can have you.

You just helped me with this decision. And saving me $ as well.
To read what you have been posting for weeks, at least, you have made this "decision" already.

TIPS ARE INCLUDED. PERIOD.
You are contradicting yourself, as you are stating "ZERO tips".

TL;dr: YAWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

As a driver have never expected tips.
I never have expected them, either, but, that does not stop me from damning those who will not tip. I do not downrate solely on no tip, as most of the time I have no idea if they are tipping or not until after I submit my rating. Lyft, of course, will give you twenty four hours to change the rating. I will downrate demanding customers who do not tip, but that is more for their being demanding than not tipping. My long experience in this business has taught me that the more demanding almost never tip, anyhow. For the occasional demanding customer who does tip, I do change the rating on Lyft..............on Uber, oh well..............................

Attitudes, like the previous posts before yours, encourage us to not tip drivers. And frankly, I don't know even one single person that disagrees.
You do not know me, but, you are aware of me. I will disagree,.

As a driver, have never expected tips
I never have, either.

And constantly inform my passengers that tips are included. It's like my favorite part of driving.
Oh tee-hee-hee; Are We Not Cute?

After reading this thread I am now totally DONE tipping drivers.
YAWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN; you have been done tipping drivers, that is if you ever started to do it.

And I will still my 4.91 rating.
.............as long as only ants come to fetch you, yes........................

Used to tip Uber drivers in the app. But if they expect cash tips, and down rate for no cash tip; then, am now TOTALLY done tipping drivers.
Some one did write an article about that. For real people like her, I can understand. As she is no troll, I would hope that if some one who actually knew something about this business explained it to her, she might get it. Even before Uber allowed in-application tipping, I did not downrate them solely for no cash tip. Still, I do not On the rare occasions that I get the customer a second time, I do thank them for it. Sadly, Uber has not added the "thank customer" button to the application in my market. I would use it. Lyft does not do it, anywhere. I am happy to get the in-application tip. I get it; people do not carry cash, any more. I started to take credit cards in the cab long before there was such a thing as Uber/Lyft or my jurisdiction of licensure required them.

I do wish that more people would tip, but, I blame T.Kalanick for that more than the users.

#6 ·
I, like many other experienced drivers reject or cancel low rated riders. If they are showing a 4.5 or lower it probably means they don't tip for good service. I let the newbie ants have those cheapskates.

On the Lyft platform, a rider has to ignore the tip nag screen as well as the e-mail encouraging them to tip their Lyft driver. So there is no question or misunderstanding that tips are not included and are expected for good service. The bottom line is that we can not make it in this business without the tips.

#10 ·
I've always tipped my driver. And almost always tip 20% at restaurants. I also tip the guys at curbside check-in at airports, valet drivers, taxi drivers and even the kid that loads my groceries at the Walmart curbside pickup.

I don't consider myself special but I do think I'm a bit more generous than the general population. Although it's dollar for dollar, it seems that the "sacrifice" of a tip is far less taxing on my finances than the appreciation that the person receiving the tip feels.

#17 ·
@Uberbrent Here's a quick example I made just for you on how averages work:
Left side is 2 different riders having 10 rides on their account. Ride side is after each rider takes 1 more ride and being rated 1 star. This is how your rating SHOULD be affected by receiving a 1 star from a driver. However I have stated that my account has not changed by even 1/10 of a point in over 2 years. If my rating is 4.85 it should ALWAYS change after every ride since there is not an option for a driver to rate you 4.85.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

#19 · (Edited)
I've been doing this over 5 years and I never give a non tipper a 5. I usually give them a 4 unless there is some other issue or problem.

However these days you really have to go out of your way, on Lyft, to not give a tip; so I might be tempted to give lower than the 4 that I usually give.

A "1" seems kind of harsh for simply not tipping. It does not rise to the level of vomiting in the vehicle or not being ready for pickup when we arrive.

I agree, too harsh. Tips are not obligatory. If I were to downrate to 3, or 1 every pax who didn't tip, I'd run out of pax eventually.

I personally rarely rate at all, unless they aggravate me to make the effort.

Used to tip Uber drivers in the app. But if they expect cash tips, and down rate for no cash tip; then, am now TOTALLY done tipping drivers.
I don't ever carry cash, it's disgusting. If I get cash tips, I give them to the homeless on the road.

#20 ·
I agree, too harsh. Tips are not obligatory. If I were to downrate to 3, or 1 every pax who didn't tip, I'd run out of pax eventually.

I personally rarely rate at all, unless they aggravate me to make the effort.

I don't ever carry cash, it's disgusting. If I get cash tips, I give them to the homeless on the road.
Have the same attitude. Very few folks if any, in my crowd, carry cash.

Even use CC for my $2.00 McDonald's breakfast. Pay the cards off once per week. No more debt thanks to Uber.

Just double points to head to Miami 🏖 and Vegas💸🍸! Which, of course, is now postponed.

Like your cash tips to the homeless routine. 👍

I give out almost all 5 ☆s to riders and drivers. Want my lower ratings to stand out.

#21 ·
Great! Please do that. That means you'll never be paired with them again, so if we're sitting next to each other in our Lyfts, I'll be getting that call in the future. And if you just drove them, that means they're one of the very few recurring/remaining riders we'll see in the next month(s). I'll gladly drive them, even if they don't tip, because I have to find someone to drive.

#22 ·
Great! Please do that. That means you'll never be paired with them again, so if we're sitting next to each other in our Lyfts, I'll be getting that call in the future. And if you just drove them, that means they're one of the very few recurring/remaining riders we'll see in the next month(s). I'll gladly drive them, even if they don't tip, because I have to find someone to drive.
This is how entitled Uber drivers are putting Uber out of business.

#23 ·
Guys guys
We are entering a time when we should be happy for any rides we get.

Better additude = more tips

Recently I have been doing better on tips

Don't kid yourselves, times are about to get much harder. This is much better than nothing.

Reactions: MiamiKid
#32 ·
What do they do with the other eighty per-cent?
Shipped to China, Indonesia, Malaysia, then third world country landfill.
Now that those countries' gubbernments have imposed import bans on first world "recyclables" trash (a recent development, Google it), it goes to US landfills.
Still highly profitable for the waste management mafia. Charge ignorant consumers premium trash recycling fees, dispose of it for cheap.
Works the same way with "certified organic". You pay for someone designing and printing a plastic label to affix to the very same cucumber.

#38 ·
Drivers in a bind drive, they're not doing a favor but realize they must work. Making it look like it's a favor to community? No! imho!

Most w a concern aren't driving. Poll showed 50% not driving.

As always considered a community service too, esp in these times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.