Uber Drivers Forum banner

No Tip = 1 Star

4K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  remdawg 
#1 ·
I've decided that any passenger who doesn't give me a tip when I'm providing the following:

Water
Sanitary Wipes
Gum
Mints
Cologne
Perfume

No tip = 1 Star (and I love doing this to 5 star rated customers)

#3 ·
PAX will wonder why their ratings are getting so low all the sudden. That is a simple way of alerting us drivers that we are about to pick up a "non-tipper". Hopefully you create a SQUARE account and tell them the following and they will put 2 and 2 together. "I know there's been some confusion, so I just wanted to let you know that we now have a way for you to put a tip on your cc if you want!" If they say "sure", open the SQUARE APP, let them choose the amount and slide their card through the reader. Takes 2 seconds.

#8 ·
You can't one star someone who is following Uber's guidelines. Yes, they are stupid, and yes, they should figure out that service people deserve tips.

So just stop giving away stuff.

#15 ·
Tips are just not expected. I have a "Thank You" clear plastic tip jar above the radio in my minivan but never say anything to passengers. It's purpose is only to silently say "Tips are welcome".

Those who want to tip will and those who don't won't. My service or rating doesn't change for those who don't tip. Passengers who don't tip aren't breaking the "rules" so to speak. Tips are just not the Uber way, sadly.

#16 ·
I could picture what a 1* for no tipping pax would look like if all the drivers did that:

Hmm... Ping says they have a 3.0, do I accept? I surely won't accept below 3.0 as they don't tip. Oh but maybe the 3.8 pax is okay because he tips but vomits occasionally...

Ratings are not perfect but they do average out and are a good indicator of the type of passenger you can expect to get. Tips just aren't part of that equation, except that tipping after being obnoxiously drunk can get you extra stars, as long as no bodily fluids or damage was done.

#20 ·
I'm sorry, but I'd say 90% of the people realize there is no tip included at this point, especially all of those VIP passengers that realize rates have been cut more than in half since Uber's inception and all coming out of the drivers pockets. I don't 1* them, but they all lose a star for not tipping. I accepted another VIP trip today because it was a block from my house, nothing wrong with them - nice people, but they took about 4 minutes to come outside and didn't tip for their short *ss trip. 3 stars.

#21 ·
I can see giving 4* to those that don't tip, but giving 1* will put you in the doghouse with Uber, I suspect.

Pax don't seem to care much, anyway. Maybe 10 out of 4,000 have inquired about their rating, and only 2 were "proud" of their high rating, as if it really mattered that much.

Perhaps Uber should send them a weekly or monthly trip summary, with their pax ratings? Keeping it hidden isn't doing us any favors.

#26 ·
I came to the blog with a problem and potential solution. I also just bought a tip box that says I accept cc's and cash. So I have a problem and offered a solution.

What have you done to contribute a solution?
Please write the words "1 star for no tip" on your tip box or just tell your passengers how you'll rate them. That way when they get in my vehicle for a ride, they can let me know why their rating is much lower and I can rest assured that pax is fine and their rating is B.S.

If you provide the best service, you WILL get the most tips.

#27 ·
No you won't get the most tips, because pax have been told the tip is included in their fare and UBER drivers make $40 an hr, due to the 1st month guarantees. I'm trying to help drivers make more money by opening SQUARE accounts, a tip box that lights up, etc. we make 1/2 what we did last December and I'm trying to make that money back because unlike you, I have bills, like the rest of us. Why don't you just start giving FREE rides as a tax write off since you're against this? You're an idiot.

#28 ·
So I bought a tip box that lights up on eBay and put it on my arm rest last night with Velcro. Also put signs that said tipping was not required but greatly appreciated. I also stated I could take credit cards. Out of 12 passengers 10 of my passengers gave me a tip. I made almost $55 in tips alone in 5 hours. That's just the first night using it. I will have this in my car going forward every day I UBER. Now I'm making money like I did before they cut fares in January. I told them I had a SQUARE account and they used it. It was GREAT night! Got home by 10pm. Imagine if I had drove till 3am. I didn't have to, because of the tip box. God is good!

#30 ·
Now you get a screen that says to find the emailed receipt and update it they
Now you get a screen that says to find the emailed receipt and update it there.
In another word, they made it much easier. Oh well, I think that's a very dumb option as I don't see a reason to change a rating but to retaliate. Uber needs to get rid of it for passangers as when they see a bill they don't like, they just scroll down and change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.