No Surge Friday

DelaJoe

Went down the beach on a hunch that it would be good with Bottle and Cork having a sold out concert. From what I was told they fit 1200 people in that building. The area was blanketed with Ubers. Did someone forget to tell people that summer is over?

I was able to catch a ride from Bethany up to the concert. I got 3 return rides after the concert. No surge. This time of year parking is available everywhere in Dewey without a pass. Also a lot of the Dewey motels were filled but again that doesn't benefit Uber drivers. We make the money when Dewey is gridlocked which forces people to come in from longer distances.

Someone left keys in the car and I informed Uber and they finally called me but I was 15 miles south of their location. She was waiting to get back into her home so I went offline and delivered the keys. She did tip me but it cost me about 45 minutes.

Had several consecutive rides in Bethany due to a wedding letting out but they were all $3 rides. One drunk couple tipped me with cash and on the app. Not much tipping.

Overall it was okay but I put a ton of miles on the car and really didn't earn a ton of money.

I got to get my car inspected so I can pick up in Maryland again.

Hans GrUber

Oof. Yeah, I've completely abandoned the area, commuting to philly on weekends. SOOOOO many drivers still at DE beach! Brutal. Glad to see you're back at it, though!

Chris1958

is it ok to drive in philly? i live in Felton and drive the dover market but i keep getting these promotions that want to send me to philly. I've not been doing this long but i sure wouldnt mind getting some of the promotions that are happening in philly

Hans GrUber

Yeah. Go for it. Just watch out, driving CC is a different animal. Lots of traffic, bad drivers (especially the ones that drive for uber), short trips, shitty people, and the "best" potholes in the United States. Oh, and much lower per mile money. I go out, but mostly stick to the burbs with the low stress driving. I'm also very lazy.

DelaJoe

Saturday I went down early and got a couple of long rides...one from Bethany to Lewes (a wedding) and from Bethany to OC. However, around 7PM everything died. Early in the day there were 3-4 drivers in Bethany but in the evening it ramped up to 10 drivers. No major concert in Dewey and all of the younger people are back in school...so Dewey was dead on Saturday and I headed home early and got some rest.

is it ok to drive in philly? i live in Felton and drive the dover market but i keep getting these promotions that want to send me to philly. I've not been doing this long but i sure wouldnt mind getting some of the promotions that are happening in philly

This is my third year and I learned very early on that you are not going to make any money in Dover. When you do get a ride it is usually a very short distance. You got to deal with Del State and Wesley students which are the worst kind of passengers.

Going to Philly is a waste of time because there are so many drivers and the rates are much lower. You are probably better off switching to Maryland Uber and that will get you Ocean City, Salisbury, Annapolis and Baltimore.

Chris1958

Saturday I went down early and got a couple of long rides...one from Bethany to Lewes (a wedding) and from Bethany to OC. However, around 7PM everything died. Early in the day there were 3-4 drivers in Bethany but in the evening it ramped up to 10 drivers. No major concert in Dewey and all of the younger people are back in school...so Dewey was dead on Saturday and I headed home early and got some rest.

This is my third year and I learned very early on that you are not going to make any money in Dover. When you do get a ride it is usually a very short distance. You got to deal with Del State and Wesley students which are the worst kind of passengers.

Going to Philly is a waste of time because there are so many drivers and the rates are much lower. You are probably better off switching to Maryland Uber and that will get you Ocean City, Salisbury, Annapolis and Baltimore.

Are there no issues with driving in Maryland? I am ok with being a rebel driver but, i would at least like to know if there are legal issues with driving outside of my market. It doesn't seem like there is much information on line about driving outside of your market. Thanks for the input!

Yeah. Go for it. Just watch out, driving CC is a different animal. Lots of traffic, bad drivers (especially the ones that drive for uber), short trips, shitty people, and the "best" potholes in the United States. Oh, and much lower per mile money. I go out, but mostly stick to the burbs with the low stress driving. I'm also very lazy.
Thanks Hans! I assume that CC stands for center city?

Hans GrUber

Yeah. I have friends and family out here, so I leave DE Friday and come back Monday, and have a place to sleep and shower. Philadelphia is good bc, while the pay is lower per mile, I can get trips easily at any time of the day, there's surge, and promotions. So if you are a real hustler you can grind out more coin there than DE. I'm not sure if it's gotten any better at the beach, but it was terrible the last few times I went out. Too many drivers, not enough hours to work.

DelaJoe

Went down Saturday and only managed 1 ride and that was outside the beach zone so I got the lower Sussex rate. Sat in Bethany for almost an hour and nothing. Went back up to Dewey as it was surging and nothing. Then went back home. Caught a local decent ride and that was it. Friday I actually did well locally and made about $100. That is unusual. Just not worth the time or gas to drive down the beach and hope. I still haven't gotten my inspection done yet and I might not until December.

What ticks me off even more are the amount of drivers competing for a few rides. I would think these are all local people who are just couch Ubering. I can't believe people are driving long distances to work the beach in the off season. It is all okay. They will all forget about NYE. They won't be around St Pattys weekend. They won't be around on Memorial Day weekend and money will be made.

Hans GrUber

I know a few locals and former wawa employees that quit their jobs to do uber this summer. I told EVERY PERSON THAT ASKED that Uber sucks and it's not worth it and money isn't that great. They all had the same story: "I met a guy/my friend/my last driver says he makes great money doing it. He said he made $1000 last week!!!" I don't know why every uber driver has to brag or offer free advertisement for uber, but this is what happens. I'm not sure how uber was last fall, but it's officially dead to me there.

And I honestly have no idea where else to go I'm DE to work. Even in Wilmington I've sat for hours without pings. I'm not familiar with DE that much, but outside of Dover and Wilmington, is there any other place to try? Ah well, uber was never meant to be a full time gig anyways... it's a good motivator to get my life together

DelaJoe

Maybe Newark at the University of Delaware on the weekends but I have heard that has dried up too. I don't go up there because it is about 1 hour and 20 minutes from my house....even further than the beach. But that is where the college kids are drinking on the weekends.

Hans GrUber

Man... I hear what you are saying about Philadelphia, but without md being an option I don't see any other option. You want to talk low rates? NJ is AWFUL. I got lucky and took a ride in the direction of philly after a NY trip and I forget exactly how many miles, but I drove 1:10 at mostly 80mph and got like $51. No idea how those drivers make it work.

Catminstructor

I have good nights starting at Trolley square around 1230AM. Most rides take me to Newark UofD and I'm busy until 4AM, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights. Average 80 to 100 dollars per night. Side note; went to West Chester a few weeks ago and made about 100 per night only working 4 hours.
Also I have to mention the pukers, Ive had three so far that put their head out the window and puked on side of car. Even though it was on outside Uber charged customer 150 per.

DelaJoe

I have good nights starting at Trolley square around 1230AM. Most rides take me to Newark UofD and I'm busy until 4AM, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights. Average 80 to 100 dollars per night. Side note; went to West Chester a few weeks ago and made about 100 per night only working 4 hours.
Also I have to mention the pukers, Ive had three so far that put their head out the window and puked on side of car. Even though it was on outside Uber charged customer 150 per.

That is a very short shift and way too far to drive coming from slower Delaware. If you live up in Wilmington then that is not too bad. Work to 4AM will really mess up your sleeping. Maybe if you could make 200-300 working 10-12 hour shift then it would be worthwhile. Also driving around drunk students means zero tips.

Hans GrUber

I will say that the best tip I ever got was $80 from a student. She was amazing, too. I reformatted my phone and lost her number. She was one of a few that I REALLY would have liked to get to know better. Sigh.

Newerguy

Maybe Newark at the University of Delaware on the weekends but I have heard that has dried up too. I don't go up there because it is about 1 hour and 20 minutes from my house....even further than the beach. But that is where the college kids are drinking on the weekends.

Not worth it. Part of the UD night life is the “struggle” back home.