Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

No pings if not moving?

3K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Christinebitg 
#1 ·
I do not understand how the pings work. It seems that anytime I find a shady spot to park and rest while waiting for a ping, I get nothing at all. Just as soon as I get about 50' from that spot, I get a ping.
Do Uber and Lyft require you to be burning fuel in order to get a trip?

#5 ·
I think it has to do with how well the GPS can read Where You Are. Did you ever notice when you're stopped at a light your little ant on the Uber app spins around? Or when you're all set to start a trip using your GPS oh, it can sometimes take a few feet of your movements before it realizes what direction you're actually traveling in? Probably has to do with that.

#6 ·
Anything that DESTROYS your car at Ubers UNSUSTAINABLE RATES is good for Uber.

Soon

Soon you will be a customer . . . .

Soon
I do not understand how the pings work. It seems that anytime I find a shady spot to park and rest while waiting for a ping, I get nothing at all. Just as soon as I get about 50' from that spot, I get a ping.

#9 ·
More often than not I get no pings just sitting. But sometimes a get a ping just sitting. Who knows...except Uber

#19 ·
I almost believe this could scientifically proven. If I want a ride, all I have to do is stop somewhere to light up. But also I think it makes no difference whether you're moving or sitting still. I've got pings in both situations. One I pulled into a commuter lot to break for a second and 15 minutes into it I get a ping from nearby.

#14 ·
I'm now 90% sure that I MUST be moving to get a ping.
This morning I was sitting at the train station in my normal spot, about 15 minutes before the next train. As the sun began hitting me in the face, I moved to a new spot about 20 feet away, and instantly got a ping... from a pax 5' from my car. I rolled down the window and asked if it was her... She said yes, and that she was waiting for almost 5 minutes and hadn't gotten a driver yet, she pointed out that as soon as I rolled forward, her phone chimed that I had arrived.

I'm happy I was there, it was a 45 mile drive and a nice tip.

#22 ·
Same thing happened to me twice today. Park for 10 minutes and nothing. Started to move and got ping right away.....from a guy a half a block from where I was parked. Same thing with a girl from the college. I'm with you; I can't say it ALWAYS happens, but clearly it must have some effect.

#17 ·
I sit a lot, driving around just puts dead miles on your car. No, I haven't noticed any difference, you must be imagining things.

#18 ·
I have Uber pals who will light up a smoke to ensure an immediate ping. Cuz every time they want to relax with a smoke a ping interrupts.

Through evolution our brains recognize patterns and assign meaning. Your feeling of moving to get pings is just as likely as my pals who light up.
This always happens to me can be waiting ages sure enough soon as I light a cig there's a ping

#21 ·
Offen relocate and refresh app. Try not to burn fuel and yourself. When heat "GO" (connect to any app) must drive for proper gps reading. Also when moving, uber don't allow to move apps ( safety) that is sign that you connected. Take care!!!

This always happens to me can be waiting ages sure enough soon as I light a cig there's a ping
Uber wants you to quit smoking. Same here. :)

#23 ·
It is difficult for me to sit still and wait for the next ping. I feel like I need to be doing something.

One thing that *has* made it easier lately is knowing that my insurance coverage is not as good when I'm on line but don't have a rider.

Every now and then, I check my auto insurance carrier to see if they've started offering rideshare coverage in my state. Nothing yet, but I'm hopeful, because I live in a big state. There's plenty of incentive for them.

Christine

#25 ·
Uber themselves said to us at a Corporate Meet N Greet, "Always keep moving. Do not sit around. The system can see you better if you're moving."

Well, I took that to mean my phone needs to keep moving, not necessarily my car and burning gas unnecessarily. Since I take my phone with me when I walk or run, I consider that movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.