1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

No pings if not moving?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Transeau, Sep 9, 2018.

1. I do not understand how the pings work. It seems that anytime I find a shady spot to park and rest while waiting for a ping, I get nothing at all. Just as soon as I get about 50' from that spot, I get a ping.
    Do Uber and Lyft require you to be burning fuel in order to get a trip?

steveK2016 and tohunt4me like this.
  2. whensthefunstart

whensthefunstart Member

Maybe it's a timing thing. I sit in a shady spot a lot and get rides.

3. RoWode12

RoWode12 Well-Known Member

I have always felt that may be more true with Lyft than Uber. I get just as many pings sitting still while on Uber. With Lyft, it always seems to be nothing until the second I start driving.

MHR, MoreTips and tohunt4me like this.
  4. Woohaa

Woohaa Well-Known Member

Not me. I stay posted until I get a ping. Generally it doesn't take very long.

islanddriver and tohunt4me like this.
  5. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think it has to do with how well the GPS can read Where You Are. Did you ever notice when you're stopped at a light your little ant on the Uber app spins around? Or when you're all set to start a trip using your GPS oh, it can sometimes take a few feet of your movements before it realizes what direction you're actually traveling in? Probably has to do with that.

MHR, MoreTips and flyntflossy10 like this.
  6. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Anything that DESTROYS your car at Ubers UNSUSTAINABLE RATES is good for Uber.

Soon

Soon you will be a customer . . . .

Soon

Robert finnly, Merc7186 and MoreTips like this.
  7. Panjnyguy

Panjnyguy Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not in my Area moving or not I get a ping every two or three minutes,,The most I waited without it ping is 10 minutes....

islanddriver likes this.
  8. LAbDog65

LAbDog65 Well-Known Member

Unless I am out in the boonies, I find a spot to wait. I have gotten many pings while not moving

9. Side Hustle

Side Hustle Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    More often than not I get no pings just sitting. But sometimes a get a ping just sitting. Who knows...except Uber

10. Coachman

Coachman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've never noticed a difference between moving and not moving but not moving definitely makes the time seem slower.

11. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing! Well-Known Member

I have Uber pals who will light up a smoke to ensure an immediate ping. Cuz every time they want to relax with a smoke a ping interrupts.

Through evolution our brains recognize patterns and assign meaning. Your feeling of moving to get pings is just as likely as my pals who light up.

12. Notch Johnson

Notch Johnson Well-Known Member

Lots of factors go into who gets the ping but a major one is who can get there first. Uber seems to add two minutes to your arrival time if you are not moving. So if two ants are about the same distance the one moving will get the ping.

Rakos and AllGold like this.
  13. Bluto1899

Bluto1899 Member

I got 3 on my couch the other night(declined them all).

14. I'm now 90% sure that I MUST be moving to get a ping.
    This morning I was sitting at the train station in my normal spot, about 15 minutes before the next train. As the sun began hitting me in the face, I moved to a new spot about 20 feet away, and instantly got a ping... from a pax 5' from my car. I rolled down the window and asked if it was her... She said yes, and that she was waiting for almost 5 minutes and hadn't gotten a driver yet, she pointed out that as soon as I rolled forward, her phone chimed that I had arrived.

I'm happy I was there, it was a 45 mile drive and a nice tip.

whensthefunstart and MHR like this.
  15. henrygates

henrygates Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    So...we should get out of the car and just walk back and forth? Because burning fuel driving around waiting for a ping isn't going to work.

16. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

When I am comfortable, I get pings.

When I have to go potty, I get pings.

When I want to hit a coffee drive thru, I get pings.

When I am sitting around doing nothing but getting my left arm even more sunburnt, I get no pings.

mrpjfresh, JLaw1719 and RoWode12 like this.
  17. Oscar Levant

Oscar Levant Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

I sit a lot, driving around just puts dead miles on your car. No, I haven't noticed any difference, you must be imagining things.

18. Y0d4

Y0d4 Active Member

This always happens to me can be waiting ages sure enough soon as I light a cig there’s a ping

Mista T likes this.