1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No pax pinging tonight

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by PoorBasterd, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Tonight (Sunday 13/9/15) I took my adult daughter to her place at Spadina and Harbord. After that I drove to Petro Canada at Spadina and Front to feed the beast and then went up to Queen and Spadina and parked there to wait for pings. That was about 10:30 pm. Nothing came in. I noticed another driver parked behind me. Long story short he is also an Uber X driver so we chit chat a bit. We both agreed that tonight was unusualy slow. Told him about uberpeople.net and went back to my car. Our Comrade-in-Übering cranked up his car and when he drove past, I could see on his phone that he didn't get a ping.

After about a half-hour I decided to “work my way home”. That means I drive home while staying logged on to Über in case I might get a ping. No matter what time of day or night I'm driving, in my 9 months and over 900 rides of Übering I ALWAYS get pinged long before I reach home.

So I drove across to University ave., up University to Dupont, crossed over to Yonge, up Yonge to St. Clair, then over to Mount Pleasant, up to Eglinton, over to Bayview, turned right on Post road, went to Don Mills and finally arrived home at about midnight. NO PING WHATSOEVER!!! I don't know about you guys but this is a first for me...and I'm not getting a good feeling about this.

It appears to me that there is just so many drivers doing Über now that it just doesn't make sense bothering with it anymore. And the next Recession is just around the corner so you know it will get worse with Out-of-Work people signing up as drivers.

The writing is on the wall

(Daniel, chapter 5. This is where the expression "writing on the wall" came from)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Actionjax, djino and casanova82 like this.
  2. Diamond

Diamond

That's strange... I started at 5 PM, and with a half hour break so far I made $180. It's not great, but it's usual for a Sunday. Could there be something wrong with your app? Try restarting your phone. If you don't get pings next time you're out, contact Uber.

You could be right about the oversaturation of drivers, but even so - you should have gotten some pings...

3. momo14

momo14

Must be something wrong with your data or apps. You should restart your phone or apps. It was fine last night, Sunday night tend to be bit slow.

4. Actionjax

Actionjax

Driving:
    UberLUX
    Part of the problem is when I have a flood of calls on an evening I keep thinking that's the norm. But fact is it was just a lucky night. Now I have come to the conclusion 15 min wait between pings is the new norm.

But based on what you are saying that is a quiet night. Mind you once you get past Ellington on a Sunday it's blind luck getting riders who are heading anywhere.

But I did find the core not bad. 5 - 10 min between pings from 8 till 11 when I was out.

5. The thing is, even at 3 in the morning when I'm still logged in, I'll get a ping even above Eglinton.

I was online for 1 1/2 hours and not one single ping. Only other time I've seen that happen was before New Years when people were just finding out about Über X

6. kingpin

kingpin

Driving:
    UberSUV
    what is your star rating poor basterd?

7. kingpin

kingpin

Driving:
    UberSUV
    found out that if anyone with higher rating than you will get the pings first.

8. Where did you get that info?

9. kingpin

kingpin

Driving:
    UberSUV
    well i was sitting with an uber rider driver the labor day weekend, he is at 4.96 and i'm at 4.94 and i login first and when i was online for 5 min he login in and he got a call before me. so the higher rating you have you get first dibs on calls.

10. That in of itself doesn't prove anything. If you got the ping first, would it prove that Über gives the underdogs a chance first? Hardly.

I've been doing Über for 9 months now and my rating has been 4.6 for the whole while. Even on Sunday night / Monday morning, I'm usually getting pings within 2 or 3 minutes after dropping off the last pax. Quite often within seconds of going back online. My gross earnings average around $30 / hour which puts me very close to the top drivers in earnings. So I doubt very highly it has anything to do with my rating.

11. kingpin

kingpin

Driving:
    UberSUV
    ok i guess i'm mistaking then.

PoorBasterd likes this.
  12. It
    I think you're right about that. Remember the Pan Am games nonsense that just took place? it was only after it was all done that my earnings went up again.

The rule here seems to be: Big event in Toronto? Go find some other way to make money.

13. kingpin

kingpin

Driving:
    UberSUV
    at the end of the day, the more uber driver on the road the more money uber makes every second, while the rest of us gets less. Uber will not last long, i have been driving for uber for 7 month and remember it used to be busy during the rain

14. Actionjax

Actionjax

Driving:
    UberLUX
    I can tell you I have been sitting next to drivers who were rated lower than me that got the ping first. So that claim is false. It's all GPS based.

15. kingpin

kingpin

Driving:
    UberSUV
    ok, but what if you sitting in the same spot. then it's based on what

16. Actionjax

Actionjax

Driving:
    UberLUX
    A coin toss. That's all. The first account the system deems is closer. No one can be 100% the same to a computer. Always one will look closer. Could even be GPS lag.

17. kingpin

kingpin

Driving:
    UberSUV
    lol prehaps

18. Noobler

Noobler

Ive had some freak times as well. I'll see the WhatsAPP group the drivers all yapping away how much they are making and back to back pings... this was a saturday night... I drove around yonge/church - yoneg sheppard --- yonge steeles .... nothing ... stopped at intervals to camp out for pings... nothing... about 2 hours i said forget this and went home.... all while those guys kept yapping about having a great night lol.

sometimes the stars just dont align properly and the timing is just bad luck off.

PoorBasterd likes this.
  19. Waret

Waret

Just a hypothesis...
    Don't you think the system privileges those who signed for the incentives when one driver with no incentive and other with incentive are about the same distance/time from the passenger requesting the trip?