No more surge on passenger app.

ftimmy

They have now completely switched all of NJ on the passenger app to their new system of not using the S word or mentioning any multiplier numbers. It gives a price estimate and says the price is higher than normal but not by how much.

This could be a good thing for us. People are possibly going to be less hesitant to request a surge ride.

One annoying thing however is that now I can't make a quick check to see if there are surges in a certain area. When I open the driver app and stay offline it can take a good 5 minutes for the heat map to come up, it was quicker to just use the passenger app.

This is on iOS. I assume they made this change on Android too but I don't know.

EllyUberNJ

Yes, you still can. Go to pax app and go to uberxl tab (uberx & uberxl surge at the same rate)
Look at minimum charge. It should say $7.60, if it's more than there is a surge.
$8.20 is 1.1X
$8.80 is 1.2X
$9.60 is 1.3X
And so on......

ftimmy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, you still can. Go to pax app and go to uberxl tab (uberx & uberxl surge at the same rate)
Look at minimum charge. It should say $7.60, if it's more than there is a surge.
$8.20 is 1.1X
$8.80 is 1.2X
$9.60 is 1.3X
And so on......
That works OK if I want to get a quick look at surge at my current location and I know a nearby location. If I want to know the surge at 4 or 5 locations in the area it falls apart. I would have to change the destination each time I moved the pickup location. It becomes easier to just open the driver app and wait the 5 minutes it takes to bring up the surge data.

Skyhakw2472

That works OK if I want to get a quick look at surge at my current location and I know a nearby location. If I want to know the surge at 4 or 5 locations in the area it falls apart. I would have to change the destination each time I moved the pickup location. It becomes easier to just open the driver app and wait the 5 minutes it takes to bring up the surge data.
I also have iPhone, and what I do is just force close the app and then reopen and the surge usually appears right away. It shouldn't wait 5 minutes, I think the app refreshes every minute or 2 anyway.

Old Dude

$8.20 is 1.1X
$8.80 is 1.2X
$9.60 is 1.3X
And so on......
$7.60? In Elizabeth? For some reason the rest of NJ (shore excluded) minimum charge without the surge is $6.55. Well, anyway, its stinks that we can't see a surge number. Makes me willing to drive less and less.

EllyUberNJ

$7.60? In Elizabeth? For some reason the rest of NJ (shore excluded) minimum charge without the surge is $6.55. Well, anyway, its stinks that we can't see a surge number. Makes me willing to drive less and less.
Did you not see where I said uberXL?

thedominican1

This is not a good change for drivers. Uber making it harder and harder to want to drive for them, even for those of us that only do surge.

EllyUberNJ

Earlier I went to check on the cost of an uber from my house to overlook hospital. Price was $14.94. About a half hour ago I checked again and it said $16.96 and just now it was $16.40

All 3 times it didn't say anything about fares being higher than normal

Skyhakw2472

Earlier I went to check on the cost of an uber from my house to overlook hospital. Price was $14.94. About a half hour ago I checked again and it said $16.96 and just now it was $16.40

All 3 times it didn't say anything about fares being higher than normal
Probably estimating the time and mileage to get there. With traffic maybe there was a longer route, or it would just take longer than normal. The positive side is that even if the driver goes a slightly longer route, the passengers will only pay the flat fare. I'm sure they have all sorts of algorithms set in place. At 15 cents a minute if the ride takes 10 minutes longer than it would cost an extra $1.50 so I can understand the fluctuations and Uber has to figure it all. If there is a fast driver then the cost would be lower to Uber, whereas a slower driver would consume more minutes and less profit for Uber.

EllyUberNJ

Probably estimating the time and mileage to get there. With traffic maybe there was a longer route, or it would just take longer than normal. The positive side is that even if the driver goes a slightly longer route, the passengers will only pay the flat fare. I'm sure they have all sorts of algorithms set in place. At 15 cents a minute if the ride takes 10 minutes longer than it would cost an extra $1.50 so I can understand the fluctuations and Uber has to figure it all. If there is a fast driver then the cost would be lower to Uber, whereas a slower driver would consume more minutes and less profit for Uber.
Thanks that makes perfect sense

UberwhoIaM

Screenshot_2016-07-07-15-59-06.jpg
Screenshot_2016-07-07-15-59-29.jpg
I just looked on my (Android rider app) mine is showing surge still at 3:58pm 7/7 near Denville, NJ not sure what is going on with others app. Play store says app is updated also. I suggest turning off auto update if you have it so apps only update when you want them to.