• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No more surge maps in SF!

Like...are you my uber?

My surge map in SF works intermittently at best. The areas outside SF show surge but in the city the surge only shows on the driver app occasionally. I have to rely on the pax app to check where is surging. Is anyone else having this problem with the driver app?

yep, at first if I force quit the app after each ride it would come back. seems like it is worse now and I'm not getting XL pings either. going to Lyft for a while.

Like...are you my uber?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yep, at first if I force quit the app after each ride it would come back. seems like it is worse now and I'm not getting XL pings either. going to Lyft for a while.
Yeah I used to quit the app after the trip and the surge map would come back, but now that no longer works. With all the engineers at uber you would think they could solve the problem if they wanted to.

SloanJones

I've been having this issue too, no heat or surge map whatsoever. Don't believe for a second that uber, being the 50 billion dollar tech company that it is, couldn't fix this issue within a day if it wanted to. I personally don't believe its a bug but an intentional phenomenon. My gut tells me that drivers are ignoring or canceling non surge or low surge rides when there's potential for bigger money nearby and uber is noticing. This "bug" is an effort to manipulate driver behavior, ie you wont cancel a 1.5 for a 2.2 if you dont know a 2.2 is happening around the corner.

Like...are you my uber?

I've been having this issue too, no heat or surge map whatsoever. Don't believe for a second that uber, being the 50 billion dollar tech company that it is, couldn't fix this issue within a day if it wanted to. I personally don't believe its a bug but an intentional phenomenon. My gut tells me that drivers are ignoring or canceling non surge or low surge rides when there's potential for bigger money nearby and uber is noticing. This "bug" is an effort to manipulate driver behavior, ie you wont cancel a 1.5 for a 2.2 if you dont know a 2.2 is happening around the corner.
That is exactly what I think is happening! You explained it perfectly. I just feel like a conspiracy theorist for having this thought. Glad I am not alone in the belief that it is intentional.

MW415

No heat map and now they seem to have limited cancels. After doing some this am that where a good distance away it would not let me cancel anymore it would not list the reason so I could pick one. tried turning the phone off and back on.. closing app but it would not clear. eventually the rider cancelled.

Like...are you my uber?

No heat map and now they seem to have limited cancels. After doing some this am that where a good distance away it would not let me cancel anymore it would not list the reason so I could pick one. tried turning the phone off and back on.. closing app but it would not clear. eventually the rider cancelled.
That happened to me as well with the cancel options. I just sent a text to the pax telling them the app was malfunctioning and they need to cancel.

Pizza Steve

My theory is that they are trying to shake the drivers just waiting on surges to drive. The surge is still there, it tells you before you even accept the ride, so if you're actively driving and accepting rides, you get your surge hits, but if you're sitting there waiting for the surge to show up on the heat map to start driving you're S.O.L. It's not completely ridiculous to think there's some kind of system that is rewarding the drivers accepting the most rides to some extent, or staying on line for more hours. The system can't be based on who's closest because I've had people in my car that pinged another driver while trying to book me. Im fine with the surge not showing up, I drive through some of the dead time waiting for it to get busy, and I honestly don't feel a driver that's just waiting for surges should have the same opportunity as me to take advantage of busy times only, its these drivers that are making the busy times suck now in my opinion, same drivers looking to work only during surges are the main people that are making the surges shorter and even non existent

Like...are you my uber?

My theory is that they are trying to shake the drivers just waiting on surges to drive. The surge is still there, it tells you before you even accept the ride, so if you're actively driving and accepting rides, you get your surge hits, but if you're sitting there waiting for the surge to show up on the heat map to start driving you're S.O.L. It's not completely ridiculous to think there's some kind of system that is rewarding the drivers accepting the most rides to some extent, or staying on line for more hours. The system can't be based on who's closest because I've had people in my car that pinged another driver while trying to book me. Im fine with the surge not showing up, I drive through some of the dead time waiting for it to get busy, and I honestly don't feel a driver that's just waiting for surges should have the same opportunity as me to take advantage of busy times only, its these drivers that are making the busy times suck now in my opinion, same drivers looking to work only during surges are the main people that are making the surges shorter and even non existent
Or you could say the people regularly accepting non-surge fares are helping Uber keep fares at a poverty level.