No more friendly convo...

goneubering

So I've been driving throughout this pandemic, and at first the conversations was all about corona and how it sucks and so forth...but it seems lately as this thing drags on and mask are becoming mandatory every ride is now just awkward silence...one of the perks of this job was meeting and talking to new people..but now the fact the the demographic has changed from cheerful business travelers and happy go lucky college students, to tired worned down worried essential workers and "hood folks" going to buy weed and more(who I now avoid like the plague)...and we talking through a face mask, conversations has crawled to a halt and the job is far less enjoyable... I guess it's time I jump back into the employee world..i need benefits now anyway..im not getting any younger
It’s a definite loss. For me having those cool conversations was the best part of ubering.

Bobbyk5487

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, how do you know if they're going to buy weed and more? Destination..or do they ask if you're selling?
If they got a round trip going to their buddy house to pick up their keys...the "keys"is weed...i had a pax tell me soon she got in she was going to "re up"...on the way back I asked did you buy weed she said "heck no..i only sell crack..i brought crack"....

NauticalWheeler

I love awkward silences. I listen to my radio and ignore stupid pax questions. I lie 75% of the time they ask me something anyways, so what's the point.
I would actually have fun lying about stuff.

One of my favorite games to play was, whenever I picked up pax at a hotel and asked them where they were in town from, if they answered "Chicago", I'd pretend to not be familiar with it and ask them where that was.

It's the little things in life.

Mkang14

I'm a music producer and I blast my own music up until I get to the pax house...but I found people can get offended by music...some don't like rap some don't like country...you definitely don't want to play religious music...im young and black and I get funny looks pulling up playing Katy Perry or Bob Dylan...i used to change the station to what it look like my pax would like and I would usually get it wrong..and theyll ask "what the heck are you listening to"..my rating is a 4.95...it was a 4.75 when I played music
Have you tried blasting some Enya? If they dont like it, they have no soul.

I've noticed of the 3 rides I took today on LYFT... "No One" wore a mask! Of the 7 rides I took for Uber between yesterday and today... "everyone" wore a mask. Won't be driving for Lyft anymore!

Bobbyk5487

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've done just a ride here or there and also noticed the marked difference in clientele. The fun ones are gone and all that's left are the mundane pax. I tend to immediately tune in to the vibe of my pax so Uber is not nearly as fun as before.
Facts

Reactions: MHR

Jperez3737

So I've been driving throughout this pandemic, and at first the conversations was all about corona and how it sucks and so forth...but it seems lately as this thing drags on and mask are becoming mandatory every ride is now just awkward silence...one of the perks of this job was meeting and talking to new people..but now the fact the the demographic has changed from cheerful business travelers and happy go lucky college students, to tired worned down worried essential workers and "hood folks" going to buy weed and more(who I now avoid like the plague)...and we talking through a face mask, conversations has crawled to a halt and the job is far less enjoyable... I guess it's time I jump back into the employee world..i need benefits now anyway..im not getting any younger
It’s a definite loss. For me having those cool conversations was the best part of ubering.
Many passengers have long conversations over the phone and drivers love it too.
When a friendly rider starts asking a question and wants to have a conversation is something very nice also.

Reactions: MHR

warrior lady

I've done just a ride here or there and also noticed the marked difference in clientele. The fun ones are gone and all that's left are the mundane pax. I tend to immediately tune in to the vibe of my pax so Uber is not nearly as fun as before.
Because bars and clubs are closed and colleges are closed..There is No Going Out for "Fun" anymore..No sports, concerts, or movies to go to... also no Tourists. (I drive in DC, MD, and VA)..So all that's left to drive are the essential workers, minimum wage workers, and those seeking drugs or alcohol..Plus some occasional airport rides...All of this WILL NOT CHANGE until more things OPEN. The DC,VA, & MD suburbs are still under Stay At Home orders and will not re-evaluate until May 29 (VA & DC) and June 1 fro MD suburbs of DC.

NicFit

My best advice is go on PUA until this is over, the riders right now are already low class and it won’t get better, one of the things I noticed before I quit driving too. The riders that we like aren’t going to use rideshare until this is over. PUA can help you skip this as finding a new job during this won’t be easy either, most employers are on hiring freeze. Until they allow mass events again I won’t be driving, these riders right now are too risky, wait until one of them false reports you or robs you. I don’t feel safe with the riders right now so I’m going to wait this out