No more friendly convo...

Bobbyk5487

So I've been driving throughout this pandemic, and at first the conversations was all about corona and how it sucks and so forth...but it seems lately as this thing drags on and mask are becoming mandatory every ride is now just awkward silence...one of the perks of this job was meeting and talking to new people..but now the fact the the demographic has changed from cheerful business travelers and happy go lucky college students, to tired worned down worried essential workers and "hood folks" going to buy weed and more(who I now avoid like the plague)...and we talking through a face mask, conversations has crawled to a halt and the job is far less enjoyable... I guess it's time I jump back into the employee world..i need benefits now anyway..im not getting any younger

Bobbyk5487

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love awkward silences. I listen to my radio and ignore stupid pax questions. I lie 75% of the time they ask me something anyways, so what's the point.
I don't play the radio..maybe I should start...but I use to enjoy a friendly chat here and there...no chat at all in about 2 weeks...i like good energy when strangers are in my car...not awkwardness

doyousensehumor

So I've been driving throughout this pandemic, and at first the conversations was all about corona and how it sucks and so forth...but it seems lately as this thing drags on and mask are becoming mandatory every ride is now just awkward silence...one of the perks of this job was meeting and talking to new people..but now the fact the the demographic has changed from cheerful business travelers and happy go lucky college students, to tired worned down worried essential workers and "hood folks" going to buy weed and more(who I now avoid like the plague)...and we talking through a face mask, conversations has crawled to a halt and the job is far less enjoyable... I guess it's time I jump back into the employee world..i need benefits now anyway..im not getting any younger
I imagine people are sick of thinking about it, and tired of the procedures.

Bobbyk5487

mine usually talk for a bit; a few talk a LOT. For 60 minute trips I start to talk in the begining and go from there. Usually after a bit they stick their head in their phone. Ok with me.
I guess I'm the conversationalist...most tell me they talked more with me than any other driver..one night I had a guy with terminal cancer..and we was talking some deep stuff...i didn't realize how deep until we got to his house and he in tears saying I was the most inspirational person he had meet in a long time...i didn't even remember saying anything that profound....i had two lady the same nite...one ask me to be her boyfriend the other said we should get married...both seemed to be serious

Attachments

Classified

I don't play the radio..maybe I should start...but I use to enjoy a friendly chat here and there...no chat at all in about 2 weeks...i like good energy when strangers are in my car...not awkwardness
How do you not have the radio on? It’s great as white noise. Makes it less awkward. It can be a conversation starter, if rider hears something on radio,
I would go mad driving in silence

Bobbyk5487

How do you not have the radio on? It’s great as white noise. Makes it less awkward. It can be a conversation starter, if rider hears something on radio,
I would go mad driving in silence
I'm a music producer and I blast my own music up until I get to the pax house...but I found people can get offended by music...some don't like rap some don't like country...you definitely don't want to play religious music...im young and black and I get funny looks pulling up playing Katy Perry or Bob Dylan...i used to change the station to what it look like my pax would like and I would usually get it wrong..and theyll ask "what the heck are you listening to"..my rating is a 4.95...it was a 4.75 when I played music

Another Uber Driver

Perhaps people are different in South Carolina. In the Capital of Your Nation, almost everyone has his nose buried in his electronic toy or is yakking on it. Race, color, creed, social status, economic status, gender, it matters not. Most customers do not have too much to say to me.

Bobbyk5487

Perhaps people are different in South Carolina. In the Capital of Your Nation, almost everyone has his nose buried in his electronic toy or is yakking on it. Race, color, creed, social status, economic status, gender, it matters not. Most customers do not have too much to say to me.
Yeah we friendly in the south...i look at like this..we can listen to the same repetitive songs on the radio or we can have total peace and quiet or you can actually have a conversation with someone you'll probably never talk to in any other circumstance....i find most want to conversate...but not recently...i leave it up to the pax..im never pushy...i feel playing the radio is a little pushy since there's search a variety in people taste for music

Last edited:

waldowainthrop

Ask an irresistible question that has follow up questions. Know your audience and probably don’t talk about coronavirus or the economy (people are getting sick of it and it’s polarizing). Think about something that someone who is vaguely in the mood to talk might love to answer about themselves or ask you about in response.

It requires a bit of empathy, but imagine being someone else and what they would be pleasantly surprised to hear, and go for that. My favorite conversations have been with people who say things like “normally I never talk with my Uber driver” – so my advice is from experience.

Pleasantly surprise the hell out of them. Kill them with kindness. Entertain them by entertaining yourself. Take on a persona. Create friction. Talk deep. Surprise everyone, even yourself. 👍🏼

Your clientele is probably different and a narrower subset of people, so this could be more difficult than usual. You may have to change your approach compared to 2019 if you want the same kind of energy. Some people cannot be moved, of course, or they have other things going on in their lives and can’t engage.

Last edited:

touberornottouber

Well the other thing is that talking actually increases possible exposure to the virus. It would be really nice if Uber and Lyft instructed drivers and riders to keep the chit chat to a minimum due to the virus and explained this. It's especially annoying when a passenger is being loud and you can see the spittle leaving their mouth.

So, how do you know if they're going to buy weed and more? Destination..or do they ask if you're selling?