• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No more drunks

NCTechmar

I think I learned a valuable lesson last night as a driver. It makes absolutely no sense in the world unless you are in a significant surge to carry drunk passengers. Every one I encountered last night wanted to bring their opened container and when told NO, got crazy obnoxious and rated me poorly even though they were picked up very quickly and driven home safely.

As long as Uber has us under this poorly thought out rating system I won't pick up anyone near a bar between the hours of 12-2:30am unless there is a pretty significant surge.

SEAL Team 5

I think I learned a valuable lesson last night as a driver. It makes absolutely no sense in the world unless you are in a significant surge to carry drunk passengers. Every one I encountered last night wanted to bring their opened container and when told NO, got crazy obnoxious and rated me poorly even though they were picked up very quickly and driven home safely.

As long as Uber has us under this poorly thought out rating system I won't pick up anyone near a bar between the hours of 12-2:30am unless there is a pretty significant surge.
We call it "driving the drunks for chump change". The more you drive the more you will know which bars that are notorious for having the obnoxious drunks. You have to find the bars in your area that have the "responsible drunks". That does sound pretty ridiculous, responsible drunks.

Coachman

I've never had anybody with a drink as they were leaving the bar. It's always headed to the bar that that's a problem for me.

ziliano

When I first started I was driving straight through the night (less traffic, less heat). But after dealing with several undesirables, I've been slowly transitioning to earlier hours. I think I'm going to go for the 'nothing after midnight' approach as well.

Geepney

All the time. Especially if it's a longer ride. They usually have it in a plastic cup they can ditch when they get to their destination. The booze is cheaper at home, right?
This. A thousand times this. I had to tell 5 different pax that I can't take them with that drink in their hand. Unreal.

Squirming Like A Toad

In CT a passenger can have an open container, but I don't allow it because it gives the cops a reason to stop the car. It can also be spilled and I can't drive if a passenger is going to come in the car and smell alcohol, and possibly think it's me. It's also illegal to take a drink off the premises where it is served so I don't want to be involved in it.

But how can you not haul drunks and make money? Half my rides have drunks and it's not a problem, never had any vomit or unconsciousness or behavior to the point where I had to stop. The worst rides have been with people who have mental disturbances not involving alcohol, and you never can tell where or when you will get that.

NCTechmar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In CT a passenger can have an open container, but I don't allow it because it gives the cops a reason to stop the car. It can also be spilled and I can't drive if a passenger is going to come in the car and smell alcohol, and possibly think it's me. It's also illegal to take a drink off the premises where it is served so I don't want to be involved in it.

But how can you not haul drunks and make money? Half my rides have drunks and it's not a problem, never had any vomit or unconsciousness or behavior to the point where I had to stop. The worst rides have been with people who have mental disturbances not involving alcohol, and you never can tell where or when you will get that.
At the end of the day, in retrospect, is the Uber rating system and the consequences it has on us and not for the riders. They can just get a new email address, login and book, 5 stars again. For example, I have 14 rated riders and 13 are 5 stars, but I have a 4.85 because I got a 1 star from some lady who just lit in to me over her alcohol. Just ONE more one star review under similar circumstances and I'm at 4.6 and eligible to be canned.

Squirming Like A Toad

At the end of the day, in retrospect, is the Uber rating system and the consequences it has on us and not for the riders. They can just get a new email address, login and book, 5 stars again. For example, I have 14 rated riders and 13 are 5 stars, but I have a 4.85 because I got a 1 star from some lady who just lit in to me over her alcohol. Just ONE more one star review under similar circumstances and I'm at 4.6 and eligible to be canned.
Then you're not driving enough. When you have 100+ rides a 1-star will be barely noticeable. You can also get a bad rating from from a businessman who thinks your car is beneath him, or from an urban passenger with some racial hostility (which often happens to me.) Can't avoid it all, and in markets where this is frequent it's happening to a lot of drivers and your rating is compared to theirs.

You can also get it from a passenger who is displeased about the surge price. What are you going to do, not drive surges?