• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No more cab driving for me!

TwoFiddyMile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You cannot see it until after you accept, hit the whatever it is in the upper right, you'll see something like:

"pick up Rafael"
"Drop off Rafael "

If there's a stop scheduled:

" pick up Rafael"
"Scheduled stop" < or something like that.
"Drop off Rafael "

Maybe its lower rt, and this is on uber I dont do lyft

U/L is like methadone treatment?
Purgatory

TwoFiddyMile

Ha!

How's does the money compare, not the per mile but the nut at the end of the shift?
I'm taking home more money, but beating the ever loving shit out of my already dying car.
It's one of the facets of rideshare I knew was going to happen... incredibly high mileage.
The wife already designed a family loan for my next car. She's rolling in it!
The only way to perform this gig is in a shitbox which is ultimately disposable.

So to answer your question, I make more cash but kill my car almost twice as fast.
This is only acceptable because my cars days were numbered anyways.

Boca Ratman

I'm taking home more money, but beating the ever loving shit out of my already dying car.
It's one of the facets of rideshare I knew was going to happen... incredibly high mileage.
The wife already designed a family loan for my next car. She's rolling in it!
The only way to perform this gig is in a shitbox which is ultimately disposable.

So to answer your question, I make more cash but kill my car almost twice as fast.
This is only acceptable because my cars days were numbered anyways.
Yeah, i get that, it's a kick in nuts looking at the individual trip totals. I feel sick at times when I look esp if i hey a good xl trip, say 45-50 miles and which pays me around 2.00-2.15 a mile then get a BS minimum fare that eats up 20 minutes for 2.47. I've several times made $100-$120 in one xl run that totaled less than an hour then had 3 or 4 after that all under 5 that eat up 2 hours.

I was just curious about totals though. Glad you're able to take care of shit until in your, uh, transition to the corporate world.

The good news is your Prius is pretty hard to kill, I've heard of some of them getting 500k miles. Your battery can be replaced fairly cheap if you have some mechanical skill. Sometimes it's just one cell or bad/corroded connectors. Plus you dont have to carry a full commercial insurance policy, that has to save you 3-4k a year. No cab fees, I don't know what that was but it could be cheap.

I'm by no means trying to sell Uber, they are like an antibiotic resistant parasite that just slowly eats you away from the inside. But, if done right you can make money. Like you said, a shitbox car that has already lost most of its value and some time you can eat real vegetables and a steak from time to time. Not knocking ramen, it's a staple in my house to, but I do like real asparagus once in a while, especially before my parole officer wants to piss test me!

I'm still shocked, I never thought you'd do it. I'm sorry!

TwoFiddyMile

Yeah, i get that, it's a kick in nuts looking at the individual trip totals. I feel sick at times when I look esp if i hey a good xl trip, say 45-50 miles and which pays me around 2.00-2.15 a mile then get a BS minimum fare that eats up 20 minutes for 2.47. I've several times made $100-$120 in one xl run that totaled less than an hour then had 3 or 4 after that all under 5 that eat up 2 hours.

I was just curious about totals though. Glad you're able to take care of shit until in your, uh, transition to the corporate world.

The good news is your Prius is pretty hard to kill, I've heard of some of them getting 500k miles. Your battery can be replaced fairly cheap if you have some mechanical skill. Sometimes it's just one cell or bad/corroded connectors. Plus you dont have to carry a full commercial insurance policy, that has to save you 3-4k a year. No cab fees, I don't know what that was but it could be cheap.

I'm by no means trying to sell Uber, they are like an antibiotic resistant parasite that just slowly eats you away from the inside. But, if done right you can make money. Like you said, a shitbox car that has already lost most of its value and some time you can eat real vegetables and a steak from time to time. Not knocking ramen, it's a staple in my house to, but I do like real asparagus once in a while, especially before my parole officer wants to piss test me!

I'm still shocked, I never thought you'd do it. I'm sorry!
The stepping stone I was on was sinking close to neck level. I just jumped to the nearest stone.
The airport is moving, everywhere else is dead. 12 ahead of me in the Lyft queue!
I'm such a crusty cabbie I know WHEN to airport and when to cruise...

TwoFiddyMile

Damn, you're pretty good for a noob driver! Hows the flexibility?
With Yellow I was $74 in the hole 7 days a week.
With Uberlyft I only have gas and maintenance/replacement to be concerned about.
Post automatically merged:

Not to shill, but a significant part of that $74 was commercial taxi insurance. I'm sure glad the TNC silicon valley Boyz have made the stupid decision to pay for commercial gap insurance lol.

doyousensehumor

With Yellow I was $74 in the hole 7 days a week.
With Uberlyft I only have gas and maintenance/replacement to be concerned about.

Not to shill, but a significant part of that $74 was commercial taxi insurance. I'm sure glad the TNC silicon valley Boyz have made the stupid decision to pay for commercial gap insurance lol.
You now shall be known as FiddyMile.

And @FormerTaxiDriver♧ is now FormerFormerTaxiDriver♧

TwoFiddyMile

Uber screwbered me.
So I started my day in the airport queue because wifey broke the coffee maker and the nearest 7-11 is near the pen. I live 4 miles north of the airport.
Lyft had 16 in queue. Uber had 16-20 in queue. It was neck and neck but Uber pinged me first.
Downtown job, $10.47 after tip. Nice milennial dude. As soon as I finished the job, the Uber app told me "1-5 cars ahead of you in the queue". I'm familiar with short job tickets from my Boston cab days, so I figured they stacked the queue for me like a short job.
The second I got in the pen, Uber changed their tune to "THE QUEUE IS FULL".
F!
So I'm about 15 cars back in the Lyft queue now.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on you twice (thanks GWB for all the laughs).

Update:21-25 Uber queue now. Still 15 on Lyft. Gonna do more laps, I'm up to 2485 steps.

doyousensehumor

As soon as I finished the job, the Uber app told me "1-5 cars ahead of you in the queue"
This is a glitch with the Uber app lately. Disreguard and msgs claiming you are still in queue after completing 1st airport fare.

You can rapid toggle offline to clear it, and get updated driver count in queue.

Another heads up: if you get into surge area, then get fare: after you complete that trip, it still shows you still have surge. Disreguard that too!

The app has an issue with lower bar notification "not clearing" after that msg has expired.

Last edited:

TwoFiddyMile

This is a glitch with the Uber app lately. Disreguard and msgs claiming you are still in queue after completing 1st airport fare.

You can rapid toggle offline to clear it, and get updated driver count in queue.

Another heads up: if you get into surge area, then get fare: after you complete that trip, it still shows you still have surge. Disreguard that too!

The app has an issue with lower bar notification "not clearing" after that msg has expired.
The good news is I'm at almost 4000 steps on my step counting app. 8 ahead of me. Won't be back in the pen today.

doyousensehumor

The good news is I'm at almost 4000 steps on my step counting app. 8 ahead of me. Won't be back in the pen today.
I explained the fake airport queue positions earlier, now here is the real skip the queue feature:

There is an actual skip the line feature for short airport trips. Thresholds may vary by market:

Lyft: appears to be 12 mins cutoff. Requires you to recieve short fare from the queue. (Rematch airport pickups are not elgible) Upon completing trip, popup says you get priority for an hour, that means unlimited front of line for an hour.
20190813_044924.jpg

Pro tip: swipe offline while on 1st short trip. Timer starts when you go back online. So if you wait until you are in queue, you buy another 10mins

Uber: the front of line feature is determined at fare offer. You know you have it when you accept the trip. Says "short trip". Good for *Only* one skip the line, unlike lyft. Threshold is tiny. It is somewhere around 2 miles.

TwoFiddyMile

So just like taxis, many people are are actually too stupid to find their ride even when they're the one that dropped the pin. Fatima just now dropped a pin at a certain office building address. I went to the front door of the office building, we spoke by telephone, I told her where I was. She canceled that I made $5 from Lyft. Then she pinged again at the hotel across the street at which point we were able to find each other. Therefore I received a $5 tip and probably a bad rating LOL

TwoFiddyMile

HOW DO I MAKE THESE MULTI STOP JOBS disappear?
Pax left their stuff in my back seat and are shopping on my $0.11 per minute. I finished the ride it went horribly bad. I probably shouldn't even documented it here in detail, cuz there's going to be some issues and I believe I may have just become the next get out of my car. (GOOMC)

Z129

HOW DO I MAKE THESE MULTI STOP JOBS disappear?
Pax left their stuff in my back seat and are shopping on my $0.11 per minute. I finished the ride it went horribly bad. I probably shouldn't even documented it here in detail, cuz there's going to be some issues and I believe I may have just become the next get out of my car. (GOOMC)
Stops are to be a maximum of 3 minutes each.

You're not a cab driver anymore. You're a rideshare driver. You are rideshare scum now like the rest of us untouchables. You're going to have to save any snark and rough words for the forums. Our precious and easily offended pax are to be treated like the delicate snowflakes that they are. Make sure there is not a camera, that is not under your control, recording any GOOMC moments. Control the narrative.

TwoFiddyMile

If I even make it. I'm embarrassed to say how low my rating went in just one day. Yesterday it was 4.82.
I reported the pax in app this morning but I'm sure nothing will come of it. True reprobates. Need a dash cam. If I don't get deactivated first.
No more hood rats.

Z129

If I even make it. I'm embarrassed to say how low my rating went in just one day. Yesterday it was 4.82.
I reported the pax in app this morning but I'm sure nothing will come of it. True reprobates. Need a dash cam. If I don't get deactivated first.
No more hood rats.
Don't worry about your ratings. They'll stabilize. You're a pro, you'll adjust to your new clientele. Watch out for low-rated pax.

TwoFiddyMile

Was a weird day. Got pinged farther and farther north, ended up in Salisbury. Last fare in Salisbury said "how can I add another stop?"
I replied "I can't do a wait and return, my wife is going to work and I have to get back to my kids".
Little lies are so much sweeter than the truth.

$160 today. 10 hours. A zillion miles.

Z129

Was a weird day. Got pinged farther and farther north, ended up in Salisbury. Last fare in Salisbury said "how can I add another stop?"
I replied "I can't do a wait and return, my wife is going to work and I have to get back to my kids".
Little lies are so much sweeter than the truth.

$160 today. 10 hours. A zillion miles.
Stories like that help reestablish your humanity with the pax. You go from being rideshare scum to being just someone who does rideshare. This is one of the reasons I like longer trips. It takes me longer to establish that I am a nice guy worthy of their five-stars and hopefully a tip.