No Money In Palm Beach County??

Frosty McNuts

I drive UberX in PBC. I've done 53 trips over the course of about three weeks. My first week I drove four evenings/nights from roughly 5:00pm up to about 1:00am. I made about $360. This does NOT include gas and other expenses (I usually dump about $15 per evening in the gas tank).

A lot of my trips are very short...from say, Clematis to City Center, or a similar distance. I get tons of short rides, but the payout is only like $3-4 per short trip...if that. I have occasionally made longer trips (like downtown West Palm to Delray, or Jupiter to downtown WPB). Those rides are usually around $10-12.

So my question, or rather, my trouble, is that it BARELY seems worth it. Do any of you X drivers have similar experiences? I've seen YouTube vids of guys in like, San Francisco, making hundreds, or even over a thousand, bucks per week.

Are we that low on business here in PBC? Where are the surges? Where are the money rides? Is it worth waiting for the after-bar crowd at closing time? What about the early morning rush hour? Is it better in Broward and Miami Dade? How can I pull in $500-600 per week?

Anyone having a similar experience, or anyone have advice to get better trips (better money)???

Kaptain

There is really almost now way to be profitable on UberX in the long run. I drove it for about six months last year, and while I averaged around $10 per hour, once you figure in your car's depreciation you are really losing money. Yes the money goes to your bank account each week, but the value of your car goes down by close to the same amount. If you figure that the IRS lets you deduct .56 per mile that you drive then you look at what you make from Uber, which is close to .98 per mile including the per minute rate. Then deduct Uber's share of .24. So you end up with around .74 per mile you drive when you have a fare. The problem is that most drivers end up driving twice as many miles as they are paid for. So if you are paid for 50 miles, you drove 100 miles. Of course you are not paid for driving to pick up the passengers. Or if you move around to a better area.

So drive 50 miles and get paid $37 from Uber. You drove 100 miles to get paid the $37 and can deduct $56 in depreciation. At least you do not have to pay any taxes if you keep good track of the miles you drive. It also does not bother some to put a lot of miles on their car. To each his own. I now only drive the higher categories in the busy season from November through March. Only way to make any decent money, and even then only an average of around $15 per hour.

Frosty McNuts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You hit the nail on the head. That's pretty much exactly what I am seeing when I really look at my money intake and the time I am putting into this. Two nights ago I went out driving for four hours. I made $33.74. But I put $10 in the tank, and spent $16 on dinner. So...what is the 'effin point?! I am trying to see other ways that may make this more profitable, but I'm having trouble. Hence this post.

I started driving when I lost my great paying full-time job, and I thought this would be a great way to keep my bills paid and myself afloat until a new gig came along.

But this is ridiculous. There is no way it's worth it with the numbers I'm getting. Okay yes, don't go for $16 dinners, I got it. But still...even with that added back in, there's a lot of time put in to this, a lot of wear on the car, and occasional hassle from @@@@@@@ passengers. So...not really worth it. Unless, I guess, the power is about to be shut off or the rent isn't going to be paid.

Now...if I was pulling in $100 plus per driving session (that is to say, per night), at least now we are getting somewhere. But it seems like Palm Beach County just can't support those kind of numbers.

How about Miami-Dade and/or Broward? Is it worth heading south for a night of driving? Are the profits any better down there?

So driving Lux....AND...in busy season...you still only average $15 an hour? Man....why the hell do people even do this, or maybe I should say, why do people (everyone who hasn't actually put time in as an Uber driver) think this is such a great way to make quick-ish easy-ish cash? It is really seeming to be a great big bust for drivers, but really great for passengers. Don't get me started on the lower rates and the damn pool rates.

I can't understand these guys posting YouTube vids of them making many hundreds per night, or even going north of a thousand in a week of driving Uber? What....was that all back in the beginning, a few years ago, and all in way more massive markets like San Fran? This is why I am drawn to ask about Miami. Giant city, tons of people. So.....is it any better than West Palm?

Kaptain

Most people claiming to make a lot are in markets where they make way more per mile, or it is made up in order to sell you something. If you are driving UberX the only place I would ever go is to PBI and wait in the queue when flights are landing. Ignore anything not at PBI, or rental car facilities. You will get a lot of pings from outside the airport when waiting in queue. Just don't accept them. Pickup the passenger and take them where they want to go, and then go back to PBI again. This only works well for UberX as there are far more requests for uberx, and less drivers.

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are busier, but you need longer trips. If I was at either I would only take airport runs, and ignore all pool requests. On Lux, SUV, and XL you would have to wait too long for the airports to be worthwhile. On X you should get out within an hour.

Frosty McNuts

Good advice. The question that comes to me is, how many trips can you turn down before Uber suspends you? Also, I have been avoiding the airport because I figured that sitting there all that time waiting would be a suckers game. But it sounds like I have been playing the suckers game, riding around doing all these short trips for less than five bucks each.

But I am curios about turning down trips. I actually have never turned down a trip yet, wanting to keep in good standing and a high rating.

*BTW...what the hell is it with people giving a "1" rating? I've had 50+ trips and like, three "1's". My car is very clean, smells nice, soft surf music playing. If they wanna talk, I talk. If not, then I don't. So...what the hell? Can't figure out why I rate a "1" once every blue moon, unless some people just wanna @@@@@.

But anyway...turning down trips.....(?)

Kaptain

I know guys who turn down 20 trips per day on average. Nobody has been deactivated. Work smart, not hard.

Frosty McNuts

Damn....didn't think that would be a concern in Jupiter. Surprising, but not shocking. I get a weird feeling sometimes in the areas I'm in at night. If I'm sitting and waiting for a ping, I always lock my doors. But if a dude snuck up on me and tapped on my window with the barrel of a gun, I really don't know if I'd be able to slam it into drive and haul-ass out of there, all before the guy did something stupid and shot at me...