1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

NO food or drink in vehicle rule. What do you do if...

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Warpdrvr, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr

Driving:
    UberX
    So, I'm a newbie still waiting for my BC to come back. I have a question to those experienced drivers who do not allow food/drink. I intend to allow bottled water and sealed drink (non alcoholic) bottles. How do the rest of you handle a pax trying to get into your vehicle that has a fast food/convenience store type of drink with a straw. Do you allow that or tell them they have to finish it before they get in? I will have a strong no food consumption rule in play though.

Thanks in advance....

2. simply00complex

simply00complex

Driving:
    UberX
    I allow people to eat and drink in my car as long as they keep it clean. Chips and small things. If they break out a juicy beef sandwich, that has to stay in the bag.

20yearsdriving likes this.
  3. Jvc21

Jvc21

Up to each driver.

I don't mind eating as long as they clean up after themselves. I have stuff ready to clean my car in case that happens.

4. I let the sober ones eat and drink whatever. I think you could run into issues if you didn't allow sealed food and drinks in. I pick up from Walmart, target, Kroger, etc, several times a week and a trunk full of groceries is common

5. Jvc21

Jvc21

Kroger! I wish we had that over in our state!

6. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't think that groceries in the trunk is what anyone was thinking about, do you? Seriously?

Cathi, Kalee, KGB7 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jam Val

Jam Val

Driving:
    UberX
    Ice cream can leak and meat packages too. Just sayin...

8. Why would any sealed item be an issue unless it was something illegal though?

KGB7 likes this.
  9. William1964

William1964

Sorry...

Stop serving food and drinks

10. Renaldow

Renaldow

Driving:
    UberX
    I like to offer my pax a nice charcuterie plate with a non-alcoholic aperitif. I finish the trip with a hot towel and cigar.

11. Realityshark

Realityshark

It's your car, do what you want. Set your own rules. If a passenger walks toward my car with food, I drive away, get out of sight and hit no show and collect $5.
    Uber has new drivers so scared to death of their precious rating, that most of them would let someone roast a goat in their backseat so they might get a "5".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  12. RockinEZ

RockinEZ

Driving:
    UberX
    No food in my car.
    No smoking,
    No drinking.

It is my car, and I don't intend to repeat the mistakes I made in the first months of driving UberX.

Drive a block away and collect the SPF after 5 minutes.

13. D Town

D Town

Drinks with a lid never bothered me. Food I never allowed...well once I let it slide but it was for an old lady I was literally taking to a hospital complex to see her doctor.

14. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    This is the text I got today after pulling away from 2 pax sitting on the curb holding hamburgers in one hand and sodas in the other with their bags of fries and who knows what else. I had plenty of time to pull out as it took them a while to gather their food and start to walk towards me. I told them I didn't take food or drink in my car as I left.

"thats stupid im going to report you! Thats lame and disrespecfull"

15. KofiTaxi

KofiTaxi

Good for you. Good for you. I cant say it loudly enough. Uber has marketed this dynamic where the passenger has no responsibility to be respectful as long as they get a cheap enough price. it screws the driver and at times makes a mess of your car but they dont care as long as they uber gets their cut and PAXs get low fare. does this sound familiar? yeah, it is just like walmart. they pay their employees piddling (and tell them to go and get government assistance) as long as customers get low prices and they get their cut.

again, good for you for standing up for yourself.

Cathi and D Town like this.
  16. Realityshark

Realityshark

"Report you" **** them! What's disrespectful are a couple of *******s who want to eat greasy fast food in your car. You were nicer than I am. I pull away and cancel them as no shows. I've been waiting for Uber to catch on and warn or fire me. I could care less.

KGB7 and Just_in like this.
  17. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Just had this again yesterday - a ping for a pick-up that turned out to be for a couple of Wendy's workers going off-shift and on their way home. Both had a bag of food and capped cups with straws.

I explained that I can't have open drinks in my car - apologized, but gave them the choice to either lose the drinks, or call for another car. They weren't happy (but remained polite, thankfully). They canceled and I went on my way.

I don't like having to do that. But I'm not risking a sugary, sticky mess in my pristine car for a $2.40 fare before expenses - and having my car out-of-service- for an hour while I attend to the mess.

I'm going to have to look into making some kind of small, secure, water-proof carrier for drinks that I can keep in my trunk. I'd like that.

Cathi likes this.
  18. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You'll change that policy soon enough.

Cathi and KGB7 like this.
  19. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    A 16-20 oz drink in a paper cup with a flimsy plastic top and a straw is NOT a "sealed" drink.
    A bottle of something with a SCREWED ON cap is a sealed drink.
    One can spill - the other cannot.
    Therein lies the difference.

My car - My rules.

(Uber will not reimburse drivers for "simple" spills that need to be cleaned up - or for the loss of earnings while the car has to be cleaned)

20. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Do you allow them to fire up the stogie in your car?

Mims Athome likes this.