• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No English - no confirmation - no ride.

MarcG

Definitely a dumb move all the way around. I’m betting the only reason you followed through with this is to have a “cool” story to post here on the forum.

ZenUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely a dumb move all the way around. I’m betting the only reason you followed through with this is to have a “cool” story to post here on the forum.
At the time, it was the right move. I was seeing too many red flags. But if I had it to do over, I might take her. But if I had taken her, and something went wrong, I’d be kicking myself for ignoring all the red flags. That’s where I’m at.

Brainsplash

I wouldnt have made it this complicated. But today I found myself in a similar position as in, I was pisst a f with uber, so I channeled my frustration on the passenger. No I didnt yell or was at all unprofessional.

It all started after the gym in venice, I go to Golds, family special that was signed over 15 years ago, I wouldnt be able to afford todays price.
I start by putting a destination filter to century city mall which is around 1mile from my apt. Get a ping 45+, I hesitate to pick it because well, it wasnt going to take that long to reach my destination at that given time. Pick it anyway I'm desperate ant barely making $120 a day.
Nice Australian couple could barely understand their english but they wanted to hear rock so I'm down. Take them to Melrose and la brea. Yes it's a little off from my destination but I have seen uber doing this before. Stacked ping comes up, I pick it up of course, desperation has made me hesitate to accept even pool but I keep myself strong and negligent towards that mess.
I get to the passenger windows up, ac on (I have prius you gas guzzlers, ac on all day I'm still making 54mpg) 3 high school chicks. And guess what going south of the 10 away from my destination and even further east.
I get pissed and I notice uber has my destination as arrive by... I never put that ish up there why the hell is it like this? No idea it, do the ride anyway But, I was lucky these ladies asked for a stop in the app before the destination, I do my spill "... yeah it's ok keep it less than 3min please." I get to the stop and girl asks me to go somewhere else for the stop I now need to do a u turn mid san Vicente. Ok I do all that and stop, girls leave except one that stayed with all their belongings. 3 min is up I tell the girl and she gives me attitude, so I'm like aight then, "ok I will give them another minute then I will have to end the ride. Ok?" Chick gets pissyh... minutes come up I look around to see if her friends are coming.... nah I start ending the trip and chick tries to lie and tell me she see her friends... I dont see them and the lie irritates me more. Boom they are off from my phone I dropped them... Pretty sure my ratings will not appreciate the 1 star I'm about to receive... but Fit I'm 4.94 that one star will put me down to 4.92 at most pfff...

See just like OP. I was a jerk, but we sometimes feel the need to be jerks because well, uber Sacks hard!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Gift of Fish

Got a request on Lyft from Someone named Iskan. I get to the house, and I see an old woman a little further down the sidewalk and around the corner. She is squatting down on the sidewalk, and smoking. When she sees me she waves, so I start driving over. But she starts walking towards the first house, so I have to turn around and come back again. As she approaches the house, a younger woman comes out carrying a baby. I’m thinking I’m going to have to cancel for no child seat. But no, the old woman is just saying goodbye and she walks around and gets into the back of my car. I asked for her name, and she starts speaking in another language. Sounds like Russian. I tried asking her several times, but she’s not understanding. So I roll down the window and ask the younger woman. She goes back into the house, I’m assuming to get her phone. She comes back out and fumbles with her phone for several minutes. I try talking to her, but all she can say is “no English“. So then she calls someone on the phone and starts speaking in another language. After another minute of that, she hands me the phone. There is someone on the other end who is speaking broken English, and I tell them I need to confirm the name on the account and the destination. I think they understand what I said, and I hand the phone back to the young woman. But again, there’s another minute or two of talking on the phone in another language. I start thinking about canceling, but I realize I never started the timer. So she handed the phone back to me, and I tell them the first thing I need is the name on the account. They manage to say the name Iskan.

The heavens opened up and the angels sang.

So I swiped to start the ride, and then asked the person on the phone to confirm the address. That’s when they started getting an attitude. Complaining about how they never had to do this before. I told them I would cancel and handed the phone back. I started telling the old woman to get out of the car, and pointing to the door. She pulled an envelope out of her purse, and I though she was going to hand me some citizenship papers or passport or something. It was an envelope of money. I said no, it's illegal. This stunned both women. They didn't understand the english, but they new I was saying no to money. They thought money would fix everything. Took her another minute to get out.
I thought it was a bit too much of a language barrier anyway.
I had this situation once with a Japanese gentleman back when pax didn't have to enter the destination in the app to get the ride.

- "Hello"
- "Herro"
- "Where are we going?"
- "SHATAHHHHH HAAA RAAA!"
[Thinks for a minute]
- "The Sheraton on Harbor Island?"
- "Hai!"

So we set off and as we pull up to the hotel the pax pipes up again from the back seat:

- "SHATAHHHHH HAAA RAAA!"

I deduced that my initial interpretation of the destination was not correct. I gave it some more thought.

- "Shelter Island?"
- "Hai!"

So off we set again. Upon arriving on Shelter Island I drove slowly past each hotel. As we passed the Best Western he started shouting again and pointed animatedly.

It was no big deal; we arrived eventually and it was a reasonable fare. The language barrier made it more fun in a way. Like a treasure hunt, but without the treasure, obviously.

Tampa Bay Hauler

Don't see what the problem might be. They entered the address. If it is incorrect, that is their problem. They obviously called for the ride. I get these types of rides all the time. Part of the job.
I don't see this problem either. Here in Florida I pick people up all the time that can't speak English. They put in the right address and I take them where they are going. Simple.

ZenUber

I don't see this problem either. Here in Florida I pick people up all the time that can't speak English. They put in the right address and I take them where they are going. Simple.
So if I’m not going to confirm the name and address with non English speaking pax, then what? Do I stop confirming it with all pax? Should I just leave myself open to scams? Or should I just leave myself open to being scammed by the non English speaking pax. Give them a free pass on that?

And don’t forget, they were in fact confirming through a third party interpreter on the phone. It was the attitude that I canceled for. I thought I was being generous by taking the extra time, well past the 5 minutes, and making the extra effort to communicate, but then out came that attitude.

Tampa Bay Hauler

So if I’m not going to confirm the name and address with non English speaking pax, then what? Do I stop confirming it with all pax? Should I just leave myself open to scams? Or should I just leave myself open to being scammed by the non English speaking pax. Give them a free pass on that?

And don’t forget, they were in fact confirming through a third party interpreter on the phone. It was the attitude that I canceled for. I thought I was being generous by taking the extra time, well past the 5 minutes, and making the extra effort to communicate, but then out came that attitude.
I don't worry so much about these issues. I drive during the daytime and don't deal much with nighttime bar people and druggies. I'm betting 25% or more of the people you pick up don't have the right name in your phone. People order rides for other people all the time. Once I had a person order a ride from New York for two women and two children stranded here in Tampa Bay. I wasn't going to refuse a ride because neither one looked like a Ralph. I wouldn't have judged your scenario to be a scam. An address was in your phone,take her there.

ZenUber

I don't worry so much about these issues. I drive during the daytime and don't deal much with nighttime bar people and druggies. I'm betting 25% or more of the people you pick up don't have the right name in your phone. People order rides for other people all the time. Once I had a person order a ride from New York for two women and two children stranded here in Tampa Bay. I wasn't going to refuse a ride because neither one looked like a Ralph. I wouldn't have judged your scenario to be a scam. An address was in your phone,take her there.
If it works for you, I’m nocking your system.
But as someone who has been bitten by scams, and then blamed for it by Uber for not following the correct procedures, I now follow the correct procedures. I see no reason not to follow them except for the expediency. So you’re trading risk for speed. I just hope you understand if I think it’s a bad trade off.

And as an added benefit, if following the rules irritates the pax to the point of being disrespectful, then I have identified a possible problem rider. Again, all based on my experience.