• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No English - no confirmation - no ride.

Another Uber Driver

Original Poster mentioned confirming the destination. I suspect that he was worried that if he got to the destination on the screen, and, it was not where the lady wanted to go, he would not be able to get her out of his car. He would be stuck. He would lose time (READ: money). When you consider the garbage that Uber pays, you can not afford to waste time (READ: money).

Usually, if you show the customer the screen, he knows if it is where he wants to go.

If that fails, I will try to cross the language barrier.

Si parla italiano?
On parle français?
Loquerisne lingua latina?
¿Se habla español?

Even if none of the above is the customer's native language, some of them have studied one of them.

Half the Romanians that I have encountered speak Italian.
Many people still study French, They might have a hard time with my mélange of Montréal/Cajun French, but, I can get across the minimum.
If the customer has any education, he probably has studied Latin.
I pretty much decipher Spanish, although I can construct a few actual sentences, so, I can at least find out who they are and where they are going.

This does not work well for people from Asia, but, if they are from Europe, Africa or South America, or some parts of the Middle East, it does work.

I can at least confirm the destination and name with Portuguese speakers.

ZenUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to clarify, I didn’t cancel because of the cash, or the address, or the lack of English. I was rolling with it and I was about to do the ride. I canceled because of the attitude. After the delay, and the confusion, I didn’t deserve the attitude. And I don’t stand for it.

Taxi2Uber

Original Poster mentioned confirming the destination. I suspect that he was worried that if he got to the destination on the screen, and, it was not where the lady wanted to go, he would not be able to get her out of his car. He would be stuck. He would lose time (READ: money). When you consider the garbage that Uber pays, you can not afford to waste time (READ: money).

Usually, if you show the customer the screen, he knows if it is where he wants to go.

If that fails, I will try to cross the language barrier.

Si parla italiano?
On parle français?
Loquerisne lingua latina?
¿Se habla español?

Even if none of the above is the customer's native language, some of them have studied one of them.

Half the Romanians that I have encountered speak Italian.
Many people still study French, They might have a hard time with my mélange of Montréal/Cajun French, but, I can get across the minimum.
If the customer has any education, he probably has studied Latin.
I pretty much decipher Spanish, although I can construct a few actual sentences, so, I can at least find out who they are and where they are going.

This does not work well for people from Asia, but, if they are from Europe, Africa or South America, or some parts of the Middle East, it does work.

I can at least confirm the destination and name with Portuguese speakers.
Don't defend this guy.
Use Google translate or translator app in a pinch.
Yeah, I know, Uber doesn't pay us enough to.....blah blah blah.
(Your go-to response for everything)

Just to clarify, I didn’t cancel because of the cash, or the address, or the lack of English. I was rolling with it and I was about to do the ride. I canceled because of the attitude. After the delay, and the confusion, I didn’t deserve the attitude. And I don’t stand for it.
An "attitude" created by YOU and YOUR actions.
Get it.

ZenUber

Don't defend this guy.
Use Google translate or translator app in a pinch.
Yeah, I know, Uber doesn't pay us enough to.....blah blah blah.
(Your go-to response for everything)

An "attitude" created by YOU and YOUR actions.
Get it.
I beg to differ. That attitude was created by all the drivers who aren’t confirming names and addresses. I didn’t create that.

Cdub2k

“She pulled an envelope out of her purse, and I thought she was going to hand me some citizenship papers or passport or something. It was an envelope of money. I said no, it's illegal. This stunned both women. They didn't understand the english, but they knew I was saying no to money.”

I must admit while reading this story I was just about as shocked as they were when you turned down an envelope full of money!

ZenUber

“She pulled an envelope out of her purse, and I thought she was going to hand me some citizenship papers or passport or something. It was an envelope of money. I said no, it's illegal. This stunned both women. They didn't understand the english, but they knew I was saying no to money.”

I must admit while reading this story I was just about as shocked as they were when you turned down an envelope full of money!
I don’t think she was offering me the whole envelope. It was just a display to impress me. But I would feel really slimy about taking it. One of my pet peeves is people who think anyone can be bought.

ZenUber

Why let someone in your car who you didn't confirm the account name first? My doors are always locked and NO ONE gets in until they give me the correct name on the account.
It was in the suburbs during the day, so I didn’t feel the need. I seem to get off on the wrong foot with people, questioning them through the window. They get irritated when the door doesn’t open. It might be a Philly thing.

Coyotex

It was in the suburbs during the day, so I didn’t feel the need. I seem to get off on the wrong foot with people, questioning them through the window. They get irritated when the door doesn’t open. It might be a Philly thing.
I get people who actually THANK me for asking and verifying before they get it! A few have asked me why I need to know and I explain to them I wouldn't want the wrong person scamming a ride and using THEIR credit card to do so. Then seem ok with it.

kc ub'ing!

Can’t confirm
Difficult as it was, you did confirm the name. Why complicate things further by insisting on destination too? It’s not like you picked outside a bar with a bucncha folks milling about. You were at a residence! Pretty clear she was your rider. Just do the ride and be done.

ZenUber

Difficult as it was, you did confirm the name. Why complicate things further by insisting on destination too? It’s not like you picked outside a bar with a bucncha folks milling about. You were at a residence! Pretty clear she was your rider. Just do the ride and be done.
It was all about the attitude.

Seamus

Sometimes you just have to judge the situation and react accordingly, you can’t be a robot. I would have definitely taken the ride (and the money). You’re over thinking this gig.

Last edited:

Julescase2

Got a request on Lyft from Someone named Iskan. I get to the house, and I see an old woman a little further down the sidewalk and around the corner. She is squatting down on the sidewalk, and smoking. When she sees me she waves, so I start driving over. But she starts walking towards the first house, so I have to turn around and come back again. As she approaches the house, a younger woman comes out carrying a baby. I’m thinking I’m going to have to cancel for no child seat. But no, the old woman is just saying goodbye and she walks around and gets into the back of my car. I asked for her name, and she starts speaking in another language. Sounds like Russian. I tried asking her several times, but she’s not understanding. So I roll down the window and ask the younger woman. She goes back into the house, I’m assuming to get her phone. She comes back out and fumbles with her phone for several minutes. I try talking to her, but all she can say is “no English“. So then she calls someone on the phone and starts speaking in another language. After another minute of that, she hands me the phone. There is someone on the other end who is speaking broken English, and I tell them I need to confirm the name on the account and the destination. I think they understand what I said, and I hand the phone back to the young woman. But again, there’s another minute or two of talking on the phone in another language. I start thinking about canceling, but I realize I never started the timer. So she handed the phone back to me, and I tell them the first thing I need is the name on the account. They manage to say the name Iskan.

The heavens opened up and the angels sang.

So I swiped to start the ride, and then asked the person on the phone to confirm the address. That’s when they started getting an attitude. Complaining about how they never had to do this before. I told them I would cancel and handed the phone back. I started telling the old woman to get out of the car, and pointing to the door. She pulled an envelope out of her purse, and I though she was going to hand me some citizenship papers or passport or something. It was an envelope of money. I said no, it's illegal. This stunned both women. They didn't understand the english, but they new I was saying no to money. They thought money would fix everything. Took her another minute to get out.
I thought it was a bit too much of a language barrier anyway.

I’m baffled - why not just drive to the address the app told you to after starting the trip?

Also, even more confusing is WHY REFUSE CASH??!! That’s every Uber driver’s dream FFS.

Either you’re brand new, you hate money, you don’t understand how the app works, or all three.

ZenUber

I’m baffled - why not just drive to the address the app told you to after starting the trip?

Also, even more confusing is WHY REFUSE CASH??!! That’s every Uber driver’s dream FFS.

Either you’re brand new, you hate money, you don’t understand how the app works, or all three.
I hate the love of money. And won’t trade it for my dignity.

kc ub'ing!

There is no dignity in rideshare. UNLESS you provide excellent customer service! Like being helpful to a poor old lady who doesn’t speak English! You stand at your tallest when you bend to assist your fellow man. Do not speak of dignity sir! You are bereft.

JohnnyBravo836

I guess I'm just not quite getting this. If you didn't like their attitude, that's for you to decide. But what you regarded as "slimy" was the offer of cash after you'd already told them that you were canceling the ride?

After considerable efforts to overcome the language barrier, you did finally successfully confirm the name on the account with them, thereby establishing that they were indeed the right customers. Can you see why, at that point, they might have been a little annoyed at your insistence that they now confirm the destination -- reintroducing the language barrier problem all over again? To resolve the issue, they offered cash as a tip in advance; I have to believe that you don't in principle object to cash tips, but did so only in this case because it came after you'd already told them you were canceling, is that right?

ZenUber

There is no dignity in rideshare. UNLESS you provide excellent customer service! Like being helpful to a poor old lady who doesn’t speak English! You stand at your tallest when you bend to assist your fellow man. Do not speak of dignity sir! You are bereft.
You may be right.

It’s just that there have been too many times where I ignored my gut instincts, and had horrible rides. I still do. I’m working the Philly market. It can be edgy at times. In this case I may have over reacted. But I would rather over react occasionally than under each, which I still do. This pax was sending out too many red flags for me to ignore.