• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

No English - no confirmation - no ride.

ZenUber

Got a request on Lyft from Someone named Iskan. I get to the house, and I see an old woman a little further down the sidewalk and around the corner. She is squatting down on the sidewalk, and smoking. When she sees me she waves, so I start driving over. But she starts walking towards the first house, so I have to turn around and come back again. As she approaches the house, a younger woman comes out carrying a baby. I’m thinking I’m going to have to cancel for no child seat. But no, the old woman is just saying goodbye and she walks around and gets into the back of my car. I asked for her name, and she starts speaking in another language. Sounds like Russian. I tried asking her several times, but she’s not understanding. So I roll down the window and ask the younger woman. She goes back into the house, I’m assuming to get her phone. She comes back out and fumbles with her phone for several minutes. I try talking to her, but all she can say is “no English“. So then she calls someone on the phone and starts speaking in another language. After another minute of that, she hands me the phone. There is someone on the other end who is speaking broken English, and I tell them I need to confirm the name on the account and the destination. I think they understand what I said, and I hand the phone back to the young woman. But again, there’s another minute or two of talking on the phone in another language. I start thinking about canceling, but I realize I never started the timer. So she handed the phone back to me, and I tell them the first thing I need is the name on the account. They manage to say the name Iskan.

The heavens opened up and the angels sang.

So I swiped to start the ride, and then asked the person on the phone to confirm the address. That’s when they started getting an attitude. Complaining about how they never had to do this before. I told them I would cancel and handed the phone back. I started telling the old woman to get out of the car, and pointing to the door. She pulled an envelope out of her purse, and I though she was going to hand me some citizenship papers or passport or something. It was an envelope of money. I said no, it's illegal. This stunned both women. They didn't understand the english, but they new I was saying no to money. They thought money would fix everything. Took her another minute to get out.
I thought it was a bit too much of a language barrier anyway.

NotMe

Got a request on Lyft from Someone named Iskan. I get to the house, and I see an old woman a little further down the sidewalk and around the corner. She is squatting down on the sidewalk, and smoking. When she sees me she waves, so I start driving over. But she starts walking towards the first house, so I have to turn around and come back again. As she approaches the house, a younger woman comes out carrying a baby. I’m thinking I’m going to have to cancel for no child seat. But no, the old woman is just saying goodbye and she walks around and gets into the back of my car. I asked for her name, and she starts speaking in another language. Sounds like Russian. I tried asking her several times, but she’s not understanding. So I roll down the window and ask the younger woman. She goes back into the house, I’m assuming to get her phone. She comes back out and fumbles with her phone for several minutes. I try talking to her, but all she can say is “no English“. So then she calls someone on the phone and starts speaking in another language. After another minute of that, she hands me the phone. There is someone on the other end who is speaking broken English, and I tell them I need to confirm the name on the account and the destination. I think they understand what I said, and I hand the phone back to the young woman. But again, there’s another minute or two of talking on the phone in another language. I start thinking about canceling, but I realize I never started the timer. So she handed the phone back to me, and I tell them the first thing I need is the name on the account. They manage to say the name Iskan.

The heavens opened up and the angels sang.

So I swiped to start the ride, and then asked the person on the phone to confirm the address. That’s when they started getting an attitude. Complaining about how they never had to do this before. I told them I would cancel and handed the phone back. I started telling the old woman to get out of the car, and pointing to the door. She pulled an envelope out of her purse, and I though she was going to hand me some citizenship papers or passport or something. It was an envelope of money. I said no, it's illegal. This stunned both women. They didn't understand the english, but they new I was saying no to money. They thought money would fix everything. Took her another minute to get out.
I thought it was a bit too much of a language barrier anyway.
Just wondering why you act as you describe? All it takes is to show them your phone with name and map and gets thumbs up confirmation.

ZenUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just wondering why you act as you describe? All it takes is to show them your phone with name and map and gets thumbs up confirmation.
They can’t read the app. Can’t confirm, and when I try, I get attitude, and I waste my time. It’s a sign of things to come if I take the ride.

SFOspeedracer

I agree that this was more complicated than it had to be lol
Post automatically merged:

I did the ride you cancelled.

I know it’s illegal but I took the money in the envelope.

It was 100k

I’m taking the rest of the week off to think about the evil thing I did.
I would of just taken it as my advanced tip

JohnnyBravo836

If the pax can't confirm the address, I guess would have to hesitate and think about it first, but as others have noted, it seems pretty clear that they were the right riders. Getting the address confirmation is largely to ensure that you have the right pax, and I don't think that's in doubt here, is it?

As far as taking cash goes, no one here would deny that you can accept a cash tip, right? As long as they're getting billed through Uber and they want to kick in some extra cash too, there's clearly nothing illegal or impermissible about accepting that cash.

itendstonight

I think drivers have that in their profile because they’re in areas where there may be a lot of drivers who can’t speak English, think of Mexifornia and Mexas.
As an immigrant who came to the States as a young boy already speaking 3 languages, BY GOD I will never learn a word of Spanish! If my family moved across the damn globe to have me speak anything other than English. NO DAMN SHAME for someone to go to another country and EXPECT them to speak your crap language, hell no! Never damn once spoke or even tried to speak my languages to an American in a professional setting (though some Americans enjoy other languages/cultures and will share when they WANT to hear it)