No Demand on Uber Select

Guardafango

Hi, I'm new to UberPeople and I drive Uber Select in the Del Mar/Carmel Valley neighborhood of San Diego. It has been very frustrating for the past few month getting request. Has anybody else experienced the same in my area or anywhere else? I have my app on for 3 hours and nothing happens. Never been this bad before and I get discouraged. What's going on? I welcome your feedback

Guardafango

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you not taking Uber X calls?
Hi Terri, no I'm talking about low demand on Uber Select. I think the San Diego market is saturated with UberX. I think UberX drivers are getting way more request, but there is no money in it.

JPthedriver

I work down in that area a lot. It is saturated with Über X drivers but what's better getting some business or no business at all? You can make a couple hundred bucks a day down there with X. I would switch to X just because the demand is high all the time down there.

Guardafango

Thanks JP, I value your input. I tried UberX and yes it goes off a lot in my area. I drive a Chrysler 300 and I have my own transportation business and I use Uber to fill in the gaps, but running my car on UberX in the long run does not pay off for me. I can only do part time and taking somebody to the airport for $17 is not feasible. My car uses more gas than a smaller car and in the long it's not worth it. I used to make $700 - $800 a week by being on for just a few hours a day, but it's not like that anymore. There are just too many drivers and many people choose the more affordable UberX or XL. Hopefully the situation will change. I have a 4.9 rating overall, but haven't seen any more business as Uber promised to those who have a good rating. Wishing you all the best

DocT

Guardafango Select is saturated in many areas, including Los Angeles County. I do this part-time, and get 0-1 requests per day M-Th evenings, Friday and Saturday nights usually 2-3 requests, but I have to compete with the Blacks/SUV/LUX who also drop down to Select in my market area.

I went online on DF to get back to L.A. when I was in San Diego for an interview, and had no requests all the way through O.C.

It's tough being on Select nowadays. Good Luck.

Guardafango

I would love to see a reference to this if you have one. TIA.
Hi Tia, Uber posted it within the Drivers app early this year, stating they've heard the feedback of drivers and starting June 17, 2017 Drivers with a rating of at least 4.8 and above will see more requests than those who are rated below 4.8. I have maintained 4.9 rating for at least a year and I haven't seen any more request. In fact, as I stated in my post, then request are way down. If I do find a reference, I will post it.

Guardafango Select is saturated in many areas, including Los Angeles County. I do this part-time, and get 0-1 requests per day M-Th evenings, Friday and Saturday nights usually 2-3 requests, but I have to compete with the Blacks/SUV/LUX who also drop down to Select in my market area.

I went online on DF to get back to L.A. when I was in San Diego for an interview, and had no requests all the way through O.C.

It's tough being on Select nowadays. Good Luck.
I hear you DocT, I experienced the same, driving in various areas of the city and it's not going off. Wishing you good luck as well

Ubertimes

Hi, I'm new to UberPeople and I drive Uber Select in the Del Mar/Carmel Valley neighborhood of San Diego. It has been very frustrating for the past few month getting request. Has anybody else experienced the same in my area or anywhere else? I have my app on for 3 hours and nothing happens. Never been this bad before and I get discouraged. What's going on? I welcome your feedback
When pax look at price they select, no pun intended
Select uber X
Due to cost

Mazda3

Any less money than $0 for 3 hours?
But $0 is better than taking a loss when I drive for UberX.

I've experience the same thing in my market. No Select or Lux demand since they changed the app and the people have to swipe right to get to the fancy profiles.

steveK2016

But $0 is better than taking a loss when I drive for UberX.

I've experience the same thing in my market. No Select or Lux demand since they changed the app and the people have to swipe right to get to the fancy profiles.
I agree, when that happened Select pretty muc collapsed in Atlanta. Went from reliably getting 7-8 Select out of 20 pax on a good friday or saturday night to 0-1. None Select during this time was usually surge.

DocT

Any less money than $0 for 3 hours?
Driving on X without DF or high surge is a total loss for Select drivers.
I did a trip that had the same mileage on X (using DF) and Select. X payout was $5.60, and Select was $19. BIG difference. Hence, I would NOT do X unless I need to DF out of an area or if it's surging >3.0x (rarely happens).

Taxi2Uber

Hi Tia, Uber posted it within the Drivers app early this year, stating they've heard the feedback of drivers and starting June 17, 2017 Drivers with a rating of at least 4.8 and above will see more requests than those who are rated below 4.8. I have maintained 4.9 rating for at least a year and I haven't seen any more request. In fact, as I stated in my post, then request are way down. If I do find a reference, I will post it.
LOL. My name isn't Tia. TIA=Thanks in advance.
Anyway, I'm 4.9 and I have not seen an increase in requests. Quite the opposite. But I know that August has always been dead time for this industry in my market.

emdeplam

No reason for PAX not to choose cheapest Uber option. This we need to own as drivers. The A to B attitude makes pricey service a waste.

Only time pax calls select is during surge when its cheaper

Transportador

I used to drive Select in both SF and SD markets. Even in SF I only got 10% of my revenue from Select on average. In SD it's even less, a lot less. So I switched to X and it's a lot more constant. I went and bought a $2,500 car just to do X. Feel a lot better...

unPat

I do around 100-120 rides a week. I get around 10 request a week and maybe half of them on the weekends. Otherwise it's slow.

Safe_Driver_4_U

A few months ago I was at the San Diego Hub and asked about how "select" was doing, they said not good, Uber X and XL was where the action is in SD market.

unPat

Uber is probably masking Uber select rides as Uber x and short changing drivers.